• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Father's Day in PA/NY/NJ

terham

BeemerBoy
Seeing as today was Father's Day and having carte blanche to, and I quote, "do whatever you want to do today", I passed up the chance to golf or have breakfast in bed and decided to go for a ride. Based on some of the recent posts here about northeast PA and NY 97, that's where I went. My plan was to head north to Hancock, NY, ride to Port Jervis, NY and head down the NJ side of the Delaware R to Delaware Water Gap.

Wanting to have time to stop along the way I loaded up the KRS and headed out at 5am. I love that time of day, especially this time of year when it gets pretty warm during the day. It was in the mid 50s and quite comfortable as I headed up the PA turnpike as the sun rose. South of the Lehigh Tunnel there was some mist in the low lying areas, but it was pretty thin. Coming out the north end of the tunnel I was greeted by fog that was pretty thick in places. I had to slow quite a bit. I rode through mist all the way to Hancock.

I exited at Rt 209 and headed northeast. It was nice having the roads to myself.

163850463-M.jpg

163850393-M.jpg

I took 209 to Marshall's Creek. My plan was to take PA402 north and I waited a little to see if the mist would lift.

163850297-M.jpg

Not being the most patient person, I pushed on after a short wait. PA402 turned out to be a great road. Good surface with fast sweepers and no traffic. Just watch out for the deer.

163850030-M.jpg

163849833-M.jpg

I made good time to Hawley
163849751-M.jpg

where I picked up PA6 to Honesdale, the seat of Wayne Co.
163849466-M.jpg

I picked up PA191 and took it to Hancock. Some sights along PA191...
163849316-M.jpg

163849255-M.jpg

163848885-M.jpg

I crossed into NY at Hancock about 8:30 and stopped for breakfast on the banks of the Delaware.

163848406-M.jpg

Since I wasn't in a hurry, I spent some time watching the river go by and the fisherman. Don't know if the fish were biting.

163848160-M.jpg

163848250-M.jpg

163848329-M.jpg

I picked up NY97 and headed southeast to Port Jervis, maybe 45 miles or so away. Being early, the road wasn't very crowded and I made good time.

Lots of fast, sweeping curves like this...
163847976-M.jpg

Further downriver there was a lot of kayaking and canoeing going on. It certainly was a good day for it.

163847544-M.jpg

163847441-M.jpg

I eventually came to the Hawk's Nest, which is a nice short twisting section which you've probably seen plenty of pictures of.

163847005-M.jpg

Traffic was a little heavier then so I stopped for a snack break. A Road King rider stopped and we had a nice chat. He had better snacks than me though. :eat I only had water and Twizzlers and he had coffee and dannish.

I stopped in Port Jervis to remove a layer as it was warming up nicely and I picked up NJ521 and headed south. Pretty shortly I was hungry again so stopped in the shade at this abandonned house and had lunch.

163846850-M.jpg

163846578-M.jpg

I pushed on around 11 and headed into the DWG National Recreation Area and found some great backroads with good views of the Kittatinny Mtns to the east. I got lost and even did some off roading by accident.

163846315-M.jpg

163845959-M.jpg

163846225-M.jpg

I passed plenty of fly fisherman in the streams. I'm going to have to return to this area. There are plenty of roads I didn't get to.

163845884-M.jpg

I came out of the woods at DWG, crossed on I-80 and took PA611 south along the river to Ottsville and headed home. It was a lot slower coming home and had warmed up quite a bit but I got home at 2:30.

I had a great ride on some really good roads. It certainly beat playing golf.

I took 209 to Marshall's Creek. My plan was to take PA402 north and I waited a little to see if the mist would lift.

163850297-M.jpg

I know this intersection! As soon as I saw the general store in the background, I recognized it. If you bang a left at that light and go down a couple miles, there is a dirt road that leads to a small grouping of cabins. My grandfather built one of them. I spent quite a few weekends there in my teens and 20's. No running water but at least we had electricity.

We rode past there last year on the way to the rally in VT. Things have surely changed but I was glad to see the general store was still there. Thanks for the ride report! Glad you had a great day!

Tracy

It looks like we covered alot of the same roads on sunday. I left from Haycock and took back roads to Rt412 into Hellertown, then I78 on to Rt 33 up to Rt 209 all the way to Port Jervis NY. Rt97 north to Hancock then crossed the river to Rt191 south through Honesdale and then down to Stroudsburg. Picked up Rt 611 south from there all the way home.

On route 611 at the overlook just south of Stroudsburg there was a red R1150R with a sheepskin seat cover and an MOA sticker on the left saddlebag around 4p.m.. I did not meet the rider but I am curious if it was someone on the forum

I know this intersection! As soon as I saw the general store in the background, I recognized it. If you bang a left at that light and go down a couple miles, there is a dirt road that leads to a small grouping of cabins. My grandfather built one of them. I spent quite a few weekends there in my teens and 20's. No running water but at least we had electricity.

Tracy

I went left at that light and there's a quick turn to the right for PA402, which I initially missed and didn't realize it. The road you're probably talking about had a sign saying "winding road next 7 miles". That got my attention. I'm going to have to go back and ride that road, which may be the road you're talking about.

Beautiful area and a great place for a cabin in the woods.

It looks like we covered alot of the same roads on sunday. I left from Haycock and took back roads to Rt412 into Hellertown, then I78 on to Rt 33 up to Rt 209 all the way to Port Jervis NY. Rt97 north to Hancock then crossed the river to Rt191 south through Honesdale and then down to Stroudsburg. Picked up Rt 611 south from there all the way home.

On route 611 at the overlook just south of Stroudsburg there was a red R1150R with a sheepskin seat cover and an MOA sticker on the left saddlebag around 4p.m.. I did not meet the rider but I am curious if it was someone on the forum

I guess I went clockwise and you went counterclockwise. I didn't pass a lot of beemers yesterday but plenty of bikes, especially on 611. I got tired of :wave to everyone.

Back