• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650/700/800 gs beak alignment

oldcamper

Hanging in there
While standing on the pegs, I noticed the “beak” on my f-twin gs is not properly aligned with regards to the front wheel center. It appears the plastic frame hoop that everything mounts to is somehow distorted. AFIK the bike has never been down or apart. New plastic frames are a popular item on eBay for about $70, or 1/5 the cost of OEM so this must be a fairly common problem.

Has anyone else noted this misalignment on their f-twin gs?
Is this just poor OEM material quality or is there some other cause?

May or may not be related.... but when I reinstall my front fender (1150RT), I have to hold it in position and tighten the bolts a little at a time to prevent it from being pulled off center.

May or may not be related.... but when I reinstall my front fender (1150RT), I have to hold it in position and tighten the bolts a little at a time to prevent it from being pulled off center.

I was able to get it a little straighter by loosening and retightening the four bolts that secure the plastic hoop to the metal frame tabs, but it’s still crooked enough to bother me. An eBay replacement hoop is on order and it appears the various vendors sell quite a few of them.
Rotax built over 300,000 of those “804” F-twin engines, so the bike itself is pretty common. I was just wondering if there was a known cause for the warping. The hoop frame is just above the radiator, but I would guess that would not be nearly enough heat to affect a reinforced plastic part. It’s entirely possible it was bad from the factory. The misalignment is not all that obvious until it is. Then, it needs to be corrected.

Back