• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Engine Stamping - not the VIN

Liaison
Staff member
I saw something come up on another forum where the poster asked about some numbers stamped into his R90S engine block. These numbers are on the rider's left side on the front facing part of the block, wedged between the points cover and where the sump bolts on. I researched Snowbum's webpage on this and didn't really find any specifics about this time period. He does mention a flat milled surface that is below the left cylinder and above the line for the sump...can't find that on my /7. This flat milled area seems to have shown up in the early 1980s??

The other poster had the numbers "354459" with a "30" and a "38" (30 above the 38) and these two numbers were enclosed in a box. On my September 1977 build R100/7, I only have the number "387508". Taking a cue from what Snowbum wrote, I believe the "38" for my bike represents the 38th week of 1977 and it turns out that falls within September. Most likely the "7508" is the sequence number. Only a little more than 5000 /7s were built for the 1978 model year, but there were more 1000cc blocks made for R100S, R100RS, and R100RT bikes...all being essentially the same but with other engine parts/carb parts being different.

Anybody else have something like this on their pre 1981 bike? Here is my picture...quite dirty. :whistle
EngineNum.jpg

I had a thought that the "7" in my 6-digit number might be the year of manufacture. There were a little under 600 /7s built in September 1977 but there were also S, RS, and maybe RT 1000cc bikes built. So, don't know if three digits could possibly cover the total number of 1000cc blocks built in September 1977.

I heard back from the owner of the R90S. His first three digits were "354". The 35th week is early September, with a few last days of August. He has confirmed that his bike was built in September 1974. So, "354" might actually work.

Heard back from another R90S owner. His digits were "235xxx". The "235" is consistent with his June 1975 build bike.

R90s serial numbers

To my knowledge, there are only two sets of valid R90s serial numbers.

407xxxx (mine is 4070926), an early 1974 model, 926th produced.
408xxxx
409xxxx
the above are for rest of world production (R.O.W.) for 1974, 1975 and 1976 years

497xxxx
498xxxx
499xxxx
these are US specific serial numbers for the same three model years.

RPGR90s
1974 R90s

To my knowledge, there are only two sets of valid R90s serial numbers.

I certainly understand that and agree. It's a known fact that engine blocks in the 1980s had a milled flat area on the engine block with specific numbering...Snowbum reports this. But now there are three separate bikes pre 1980 that have another number on the block, that if you squint your eyes a bit and make some assumptions, appear to be a bit of dating info for that specific engine case. I was hoping that more people could look at their engine in this general area and report what they find. More data will help solidify a theory or blow it apart.

Was looking at my accumulation of bikes for a R80/7, I think it's a '78. Found it, was going to check on those ID numbers.
IMG_0749.jpg
740680 kinda interesting, sleuthing about on the bike, being a private eye so to speak. :)

You're sure about "74"? Because if that's the case, it can't be the 74th week of the year and if it's a 1978 model, the third digit "0" doesn't agree with the build year. Even if it was "24", the third digit kinda kills my theory. :banghead

My bike just has the number 9 3 on the block then a roundel type stamp. Bike was built in the first month of production of the R90, 9/73 an ECC model.

Oklahoma.

I'll bite on this, for fun.

'74 R90S, mfd 11/73, block stamping, 473, with a 0 half inch above the 3?

'74 R90/6, mfd 4/74, block stamping, 164171.

'75 R90/6, mfD 2/75, block stamping, 065381, 30 over 35 in a box.

Makes some sense, no sense. And there are some strange other stamping, maybe the mark of some person who worked on it.

There's a backwards ampersand on the bottom front right side of the '74 block?

Last edited:
Thanks! With the exception of Barry's numbers, there is definitely a pattern there.

Didn't see it at first, but the first three numbers make sense. Cool. Now to check the K bike engines. See a pattern emerging? Why? Because I got the third degree when trying to trans title with the K bike as to the engine? Took six months to get it straight. Maybe next time I can just clear it quickly. More fun in the wintertime.

Barry -

Do you the specifics for the two stampings 744171 and 274281? Model and year along with when the bike was built either from the plate on the steering stem or from decoding the VIN on the various online sites. Thanks...

Back