• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Electronic version of magazine crashes repeatedly

collingsbob

I’ve just received my first copy of the electronic version of the BMWMOA magazine..

It opens up, then crashes. Is the electronic version not iPad compatible?

I’ve just received my first copy of the electronic version of the BMWMOA magazine..

It opens up, then crashes. Is the electronic version not iPad compatible?

I’m not sure how it works. I wasn’t aware that there was something to be “received” when a digital ON was requested.
I just went, from an iPad,>

BMW.ORG homepage >

Owners News >

Current Issue >

I had access to December issue no problem via issuu.

If the digital version “drops” the magazine in like a PDF, I think I would rather look at it as I described and not add to the clutter in the computer. :dunno

Perhaps give that a try. If you still have trouble, you may try deleting the “cookie” from the issuu site….maybe BMWMOA as well.

OM

Tried all of that…Chrome crashes just like Safari did. Hopefully someone from the mothership reads these forums..

Tried all of that…Chrome crashes just like Safari did. Hopefully someone from the mothership reads these forums..

You'd be better off contacting tech support at ISSU... have you tried any of the other sample magazines there?

Also, how old is your iPad?

You'd be better off contacting tech support at ISSU... have you tried any of the other sample magazines there?

Also, how old is your iPad?

I have contacted the mothership…the ipad is 2 yrs old, with the newest ios installed. I havent tried any of the other magazines. I’ll try on my PC and on my iMac later today

You'd be better off contacting tech support at ISSU...

I disagree. MOA tech people should be the one making that call IMHO. Ted to the white courtesy phone please.

After my initial testing this is what I notice. Everything is stable on my PC (W11Home fully patched with Firefox). On my iPad (iOS 17.2 fully patched using either Firefox or Safari) any yearly archive chosen after 2018 exhibits problems loading correctly. If you choose the latest Dec 2023 issue the page seems to reload itself every 13 seconds with no user intervention. Firefox will reload it many times. Safari dumps to an error after one or two retries. However, if you quickly click the full screen button in the bottom right before it crashes it opens in another window and seems stable. This testing is done after clearing all cookies and cache and a clean reboot of the iPad.

I disagree. MOA tech people should be the one making that call IMHO. Ted to the white courtesy phone please.

After my initial testing this is what I notice. Everything is stable on my PC (W11Home fully patched with Firefox). On my iPad (iOS 17.2 fully patched using either Firefox or Safari) any yearly archive chosen after 2018 exhibits problems loading correctly. If you choose the latest Dec 2023 issue the page seems to reload itself every 13 seconds with no user intervention. Firefox will reload it many times. Safari dumps to an error after one or two retries. However, if you quickly click the full screen button in the bottom right before it crashes it opens in another window and seems stable. This testing is done after clearing all cookies and cache and a clean reboot of the iPad.

Thanks for the effort on this. :thumb

BTW, as I never received an answer, is this being delivered as a PDF or a link?
OM

Thanks, pretty sure that is what I described earlier without the “jump” from an email. :dunno

OM

That is true - but what is your point? No matter how you get to the link the problem manifests itself on our iPads. Post your iPad specs and that might help the discussion if yours loads just fine.

Edit: clicking Current Issue opens full screen in a new tab which does work - clicking archives leads to the problem and that is where the email link takes you.

Safari 17.1.2, Mac OS Sonoma, AdBlock Plus.

Loads and run, but page to page nav is pretty slow.

On my ancient iPad 5, it'll load the first page, then begins cycling through and reloading the page. In between errors and loads, I've seen an error logged that looks like it's related to serving up the doc in the viewer.

If y'all need another data point...

That is true - but what is your point? No matter how you get to the link the problem manifests itself on our iPads. Post your iPad specs and that might help the discussion if yours loads just fine.

Edit: clicking Current Issue opens full screen in a new tab which does work - clicking archives leads to the problem and that is where the email link takes you.

I guess that if I was to read a bit and wanted to finish a bit more later, I wouldn’t go looking for the email to re-launch from. I would just go as I described earlier.
This iPad is old and up to date……Nothing special.

OM

After a quick look, my guess is there is some conflict between the embed code for Issuu and the code on our website. Going directly to Issuu seems to render the magazine in several different browsers in the correct state.

https://issuu.com/bmwmoa/docs/bmwon_2023-12

We will have to take a look and see if we can resolve in the webpages or if we have to rebuild the links in a different way. Short term, we can publish the direct link to the issues at Issuu and skip the embed code.

We’ve used that same page layout for several years with Issuu. It has become somewhat routine to post the magazine. It wouldn’t surprise me if some recent update had changed and we simply need to rethink how we publish that page.

Back