• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ELECTRICAL HARNESS FIRES ON 2002 BMW R1150RTs

• Thread starter moonmullin@gmail.com
  • Start date
M

moonmullin@gmail.com

am seeking information concerning a recent electrical harness fire on my BMW R1150RT motorcycle. Recently I was riding home from work when after riding over a road bump my BeemerÔÇÖs electrical system experienced a failure. As I was coasting to a stop on the side of South Bound Interstate 5 in San Diego smoke started pouring out from under my BeemerÔÇÖs fairing. I hit my kill switch and turn off the ignition key and the smoke eventually dissipated. I called San Diego BMW Motorcycles [formally Brattin Motors] and requested their assistance. Since I was only a few miles from their shop they sent over a pick-up truck to get me. Because they were getting ready to close for the day, they gave me a loaner to get home. They next day I called them to get a status on my bike and they informed me that a wire at the pigtail plug for the right combo switch [right turn signal, turn signal cancel switch, kill switch, starter button & heated grip switch] P/N: 61317650802 had shorted against the bikes frame and caused the main electrical harness, P/N: 6117654024 to burn up [melt].

I questioned why my Beemer would experience such a failure since it was only just over 4 years old and had less than 73,000 miles on the clock. They informed me that they had never seen this kind of failure before. I asked them to contact BMW of North America and request any information they might have concerning electrical harness fires on BMW Motorcycles. The BMW of North America Representative looked at my Beemer the next week and stated that my bike was well out of warranty and that they could provide me with no assistance and that he had never seen this type of failure previously. BMW of San Diego ordered the required parts to repair my Beemer and had the bike back to me in 5 working days. The bill was $1500.00 for parts and $1500.00 for Labor for a total of $3K. I am not a happy camper! I have been riding motorcycles since 1962 and BMW Motors since 1993. I have well over 500,000 miles in the saddle. This is the first time I have experienced this type of failure on any of my motorcycles.

The following are areas that I am concerned with.

I purchased my Beemer from San Diego BMW Motorcycles [formally Brattin Motors] in August 2002. They have accomplished 100% of my service schedules since then.

Since purchasing my Beemer every time that I rode in wet weather; whether it be a light mist or a full blown downpour my engine would surge like the engine was being starve for fuel [or electrical spark]. I brought this discrepancy up with Brattin Motors every time it happened and they were never able to solve the problem. A couple of days after getting the new harness installed I ended up riding to work in the rain and for the first time experienced no problems with engine surging. My question is, is this just a coincidence or did I have a defective electrical harness since delivery of my Beemer?

I had my heating grips replaced by BMW of San Diego the service before last [roughly 7700 miles ago]. Even though the electrical failure was in the heated grip pigtail, BMW of San Diego stated that the failure is unrelated to their service.

I am requesting any information anyone can provide me concerning failures of this nature. Besides myself and my riding buddies, I would think that the California Highway Patrol as well as many other police agency that operate BMW Motors would be very interested in knowing if their motorcycles may be subject to electrical fires.

Ed Mullin - USN Retired

1997 Pine View Road

Alpine, CA 91901-2294

H: 619/445-9821

FAX: 619/445-8921

M: 619/994-9093

edmullin@sbcglobal.net

W: 619/545-0745

ed.mullin@navy.mil

I know a guy in CT that had his R1150R catch on fire in his driveway a few months ago. It was just sitting there, too. Key off.

Unfortunately - a harness meltdown isn't that rare on any motorcycle, BMW or others. BMW's tend to do it because certain circuits aren't fused - done for safety reasons (they'd rather the lights go out slowly as the wiring heats up rather than go out all of a sudden when a fuse blows..) A short circuit causes the wire shorted to heat up, and it eventually melts the insulation on surrounding wires. I suspect it wasn't the heated grip that caused your failure - it was more likely headlight wiring (which isn't fused on a lot of BMW models.

I just checked an RT wiring diagram - it appears - as usual - BMW didn't fuse the high/low beam. The heated grips and all other lights are fused.

I'd be willing to bet a beer that the actual failure started in your headlight wiring (BMW oddly - usually runs the wiring for the euro-headlight switch - located in the right switch pod - up into the pod and jumpers it internally in the switch pod when the switch isn't present - as in the USA bikes..) Not that this info does you any good - but it wasn't the heated grips wiring.. trust me on this (mechanics are not electrics - as Brian Curry sez.)

A motorcycle is a hard environment for electrical wiring - the wiring is exposed to the elements, and frequently tightly packed together (which causes the failures to cascade when something gets too hot).. plus BMW has a habit of putting the tie-wraps holding wiring to frame/chassis/bars WAY too tight IMHO. The too tight tie-wraps combined with time and vibration eventually cause failure of the insulation on the wiring and you end up with a short.

IMHO - it would be worth your while to check the installation of the new harness - make certain that the tie-wraps are not super tight. All they have to do is hold the wire in position against forces encountered in normal use..

Is this an endemic failure mode? Nope.. I don't think so - bad luck on your part, but I'm willing to bet the meltdown started under a tie-wrap.. and not just BMW is guilty of overtightening them - mechanics frequently are also. I've seen a number of burned up harnesses where the fault could be traced to a too-tight tie-wrap (and found a few ABOUT to fail that I managed to save..) and/or electrical work/mods done by mechanics and owners.

Don,
Would you suggest adding fuses to the headlight circuits? If so, where in the circuit should the fuse be inserted?

I have a 2002 1150 RT as does the original writer of this thread. I am compulsive in fuse installation on any electrical item I install and would like to think all circuits on my RT are protected.
Thanks, Stephen

deilenberger said:
plus BMW has a habit of putting the tie-wraps holding wiring to frame/chassis/bars WAY too tight IMHO. The too tight tie-wraps combined with time and vibration eventually cause failure of the insulation on the wiring and you end up with a short.

Or open. I've seen a number of speedo pickup wires cut in half by tie wraps on the swingarm on the LT.

58fleetside said:
Don,
Would you suggest adding fuses to the headlight circuits? If so, where in the circuit should the fuse be inserted?

I have a 2002 1150 RT as does the original writer of this thread. I am compulsive in fuse installation on any electrical item I install and would like to think all circuits on my RT are protected.
Thanks, Stephen
Tough call.. for maximum benefit (most protection) for the fuse - as close to the battery as possible, but I'm not sure where in the harness the headlight branches off. It's probably after the ignition switch (since the headlight is a switched item). Will have to look at a diagram and see if there's a good spot.

On my K bikes - when I installed relays on them, I fused the supply circuit to the relay feed with 20A fuses. This is more than adequate (a 100W bulb only draws ~7A.) I also made certain that the wiring between the battery and relay would carry 20A (I used #12 wire - which was overkill) without overheating (so the fuse would blow before the wiring melted down.)

If you do fuse it - you're accepting that the lights can *very* suddenly go away if there is a wiring or fuse failure. Not as big a concern if like most of us - you have a secondary source of lights that are usually on (auxillary lights of some sort.)

FWIW - Jim Davis at EasternBeaver has a nice PosiLock in-line fuse holder that might be suitable.. allows adding a fuse with minimum wiring skills: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/Products/Posi-Lock/posi-lock.html (Part FF1218)

Lack of fuses or worse, depending on a wiring harness melt down to stop a short is really poor desinging IMO. The blowing of a fuse is far less of a problem to my way of thinking than having a fire beneath a gas tank between your legs would be.

The blowing of a fuse protects the wiring and prevents fires. It also is a significant diagnostic tool as it identifies the fault area in question. A burned wiring harness just identifies careless electrical designing.

One of the things I learned in aviation maintenance is that a fuse or breaker does not protect an appliance or electrical equipment, it protects the wiring of the vehicle and cuts the chance of fire.

Motor31 said:
Lack of fuses or worse, depending on a wiring harness melt down to stop a short is really poor desinging IMO. The blowing of a fuse is far less of a problem to my way of thinking than having a fire beneath a gas tank between your legs would be.
No argument there.. the only reason I can see for BMW not fusing the headlight on bikes is they're afraid that instant darkness could descend on the rider, and we know at times - that wouldn't be a good thing..
The blowing of a fuse protects the wiring and prevents fires. It also is a significant diagnostic tool as it identifies the fault area in question. A burned wiring harness just identifies careless electrical designing.
I suspect (and no real DATA or FACTS on this) that it's a conscious decision by BMW, probably due to litigation of some sorts when someone had a headlight go out and ran off the road (or worse..)
One of the things I learned in aviation maintenance is that a fuse or breaker does not protect an appliance or electrical equipment, it protects the wiring of the vehicle and cuts the chance of fire.
Correct again - but for a motorcycle in motion, loss of all forward lighting at an inopportune moment can lead to disaster. I am guessing their thinking is that a fading away of the light due to a short might give the rider time to stop safely.

Sorta comes down to what's more important... rider or bike? In my case - I'd say rider. YMMV, NTTAWWT.

deilenberger said:
No argument there.. the only reason I can see for BMW not fusing the headlight on bikes is they're afraid that instant darkness could descend on the rider, and we know at times - that wouldn't be a good thing..I suspect (and no real DATA or FACTS on this) that it's a conscious decision by BMW, probably due to litigation of some sorts when someone had a headlight go out and ran off the road (or worse..)Correct again - but for a motorcycle in motion, loss of all forward lighting at an inopportune moment can lead to disaster. I am guessing their thinking is that a fading away of the light due to a short might give the rider time to stop safely.

Sorta comes down to what's more important... rider or bike? In my case - I'd say rider. YMMV, NTTAWWT.

A fuse is an additional voltage drop as well. I don't know what BMW's reasons are.

Don,

I have to disagree with you about the headlight dropping off suddenly being more of a problem than a fire. If the harness melts down the headlight is going to drop off anyway. The smoke and or flames from your crotch might just be a bit of a distraction as well.

This is not a particularly new situation. The /2 bikes (1956-1969) had no fusing AT ALL. The /6 bikes (at least) had no fuse for the high beam flash circuit, though that's not nearly as bad, I suppose, as having significant parts unprotected.

DarrylRi said:
This is not a particularly new situation. The /2 bikes (1956-1969) had no fusing AT ALL. The /6 bikes (at least) had no fuse for the high beam flash circuit, though that's not nearly as bad, I suppose, as having significant parts unprotected.
Can anybody list the models where BMW has used a headlight fuse (or fuses)? Not counting home modifications, I mean OEM stock.

I sure can't.

PGlaves said:
Can anybody list the models where BMW has used a headlight fuse (or fuses)? Not counting home modifications, I mean OEM stock.

I sure can't.

I agree. But, the can bus bikes can monitor headlight current with the ZFE and might shut down if the current exceeds some unknown limit (unknown by me at least). I think I have heard of folks using 100 watt bulbs in the headlight and they still worked. I would guess the power dissipation in the ZFE would be increased, but have heard of no failures. Note that the ZFE is placed in the very front of the vehicle in the air stream. The
light doesn't switch on automatically until the engine is running and you can turn it off with a sequence of turn signal cancelling and right turn signal button pressing. The ZFE may only be providing a switching function, but this could be the first "fused" headlight circuit by BMW.

Last edited:
Motor31 said:
Don,

I have to disagree with you about the headlight dropping off suddenly being more of a problem than a fire. If the harness melts down the headlight is going to drop off anyway. The smoke and or flames from your crotch might just be a bit of a distraction as well.
Mike, please re-read everything I wrote above.

This isn't MY idea - it's BMW's idea. I have added fuses to headlight circuits on my BMWs - I "oversize" the fuses to keep failures to a minimum, but I have fused the circuits.

Please do not attribute what I think BMW thinks to me.. I'm just the messenger in this case.

edwinmullin,

I didn't see any answers to you question. I also ride an R1150RT but your unfortunate findings make me nervous, although I don't have issues riding in the rain, (over 90K km),but will watch for it (but it normally surges).

If I was in your situation where now the bike runs well during wet weather, I also would make the conclusion that the problem was there from the start. (Regardless of whether the ties were on too tight or not ;-) Its unfortunate for both you and BMW that the issue wasn't diagnosed earlier while under warranty. Do you still have the old work orders? Might help if you showed them that you tried tohave it fixed, but it wasn't. They may pay for at least the parts. Worth a try. After shelling out $3K I would be hard pressed to ride BMWs again.

edwinmullin said:
am seeking information concerning a recent electrical harness fire on my BMW R1150RT motorcycle....
Check this thread for another example. The writer spread the story out over several threads for some reason so you'll have to search around to get all of the info.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=11670

At the same time I was replacing an RT harness and a month or two later I found some harness damage in another RT, but repaired it.

On a slightly different note, I have a K75 here with a toasted harness as well. In this case the cause was a high-wattage headlight without relays. There was no smoking gun in either of the RT harnesses, though.

deilenberger said:
Mike, please re-read everything I wrote above.

This isn't MY idea - it's BMW's idea. I have added fuses to headlight circuits on my BMWs - I "oversize" the fuses to keep failures to a minimum, but I have fused the circuits.

Please do not attribute what I think BMW thinks to me.. I'm just the messenger in this case.

Don,

This last line you had on your post indicated to me that you just might have agreed with the concept that the headlight is the most important part of the bike to keep running the longest.

"Sorta comes down to what's more important... rider or bike? In my case - I'd say rider. YMMV, NTTAWWT."

Now if it's really important (to you, not to me) I still and will continue to disagree that maintaining a headlight is more important than fire prevention. I am unconcerned with who holds that position and I'm not trying to comment on anything other than the premise is IMO faulty and dangerous. In other words I'm not trying to kill the messenger but to me the message is dangerous to the folks who ride the bikes. No matter who postulates it.

Now if I read the line incorrectly, sorry, I was not attempting to cast aspersions upon you, just what I feel is a very very bad idea.

In my own experiance I have found that my own K75 doesn't fuse the headlight and I was very unhappy to find out about it last month. I got a load of bad fuel. The station siphoned out most of it for me but there was still about a quart or more at the pump level they couldn't get to. I tried to pull the head light fuse so I could just use the fuel pump to dump the "fuel" (mostly dirt, light oil and just plain crap) after disconnecting the filter. I didn't want to drain the battery in the process. I pulled every fuse in the bike and couldn't shut off the headlight. Fortunately I was able to finish the job and still start up the bike.

IMO this situation borders on negligence that one of the highest drain electrical loads on the vehicle is not fused.

deilenberger said:
FWIW - Jim Davis at EasternBeaver has a nice PosiLock in-line fuse holder that might be suitable.. allows adding a fuse with minimum wiring skills: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/Products/Posi-Lock/posi-lock.html (Part FF1218)

As a happy customer of Easter Beaver, let me add that Jim also has a kit to control your headlights with a relay. The advantage being the only current flowing through (the rather thin wire) to the handlebar switch is the minimal amount used to trigger the relay, the headlights are more directly connected to the battery with adequate gauge wiring, and fused. The net result is more volts to the lights, and a reduced chance of letting the magic smoke out.

Back