• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dunlop RoadSmart III review

When comparing tires based on price, are the purchases made from the same vendor? Or is a search used to find a particular tire at the most favorable price point? Are the tires mounted, balanced, and old tires disposed by a shop or by the rider? Does a shop offer a "deal" if tires are purchased through them?

Mileage Results

I think this may be my first posting. I've been a MOA member for a few years and have been riding BMW's since 1968.

I'm replacing the rear Dunlop RoadSmart III today. Rear tire has 15,500 miles. Replacing because the tire has a nail in the center of the tire. Tire is NOT worn to the wear indicators. I believe I could have gone another 2,000 miles before replacing. I replaced the front at 15,000 due to leaving on a trip. Also expect I could have gone another 2,000 miles if I were not leaving on a trip. Tires are NOT the GT version. I don't need or want a GT version on my model bike. I'm riding a K1300S.

Ride quality is very good (not too stiff or harsh). I run 38 psi front, 40 psi rear. Cupping has not been a problem. They have exceeded my expectations.

I did finally remove the RoadSmart III tires. 7,300 miles. Rear had just over 1/32" tread over the indicators left. I cut a section of the rubber out in the center, showed 5/32" of rubber to the cords so these tires are not like Z8's that all of a sudden show cords!

So, after all, these do give better mileage than the first half of life indicated they would. I did lower the rear pressure to 39 for the last 3000 miles or so. They continued to hold as well as any tire I have had in memory. Never had a slip in the wet. Ride is good, but remember these are not a heavy sidewall tire. Which is probably part of why they handle so well at maximum lean angles. You can roll on full throttle in second gear at zero chicken strip angles and it simply lifts the front and powers away. No drama.

I did develop a vibration. Front tire showed out of balance. Weights were still on. Have no idea why, but not a positive thing in my mind.

The noise is something I have a hard time excusing. No bad wear patterns, but noisy when going straight and loud when leaning. I run a nice windshield and can hear stuff you wouldn't with a stock screen maybe, but other tires don't do this.

7,300 miles is pretty good for me. I usually replace in the 6-6500 mile range as I am getting ready for a trip that the tire wouldn't make. These had miles left, maybe 1500? So they wear just fine compared to others I have used. BUT.....the front tire was nearly gone. I usually can install a new rear tire and run the front for most if not all the life of the second rear. Not being able to do this with the Dunlop means they are much more expensive in the long run.

On something like an RS, where handling was really what you bought the bike for, these would be a good choice. But so would some more sport oriented tires.

Dyna Beads

Does anyone run the Dyna Beads balancing beads? If Centramatic made their wheel balancers for a BMW, I would buy them in a heartbeat. Loved them on the Goldwing and Victory bikes I had.

Beads

I have front wheel tire balanced with dyna beads I have Metzeler Roadtec Z6’s on bike ( 1994 R1100RS ) took wheel and tire to local shop ( Harley guy) because he was $10 cheaper than Kawasaki shop I usually take them to, Harley guy said he uses dyna beads to balance I thought about decided to try them, get call front tire done take rear wheel in his tire machine broken parts not going to be in for several days so go to pay him price is $10 higher ( cost of the dyna beads ) took rear wheel to Kawasaki tire mounted and balanced same cost as Harley guy
1st lesson learned add cost of beads to tire remove and replace cost.
2nd to answer your question kind of indifferent about the beads thought I hated them at first after 7,500 miles indifferent can’t say if good or bad tire shows usual wear on left side.

AA2C4E94-0ED4-41E9-855B-710A57B45150.jpeg

About 1/2 of my riding on local oil and chip roads

Just purchased the Pirelli Angel GT “A” spec set for my K1300S. Ride report after I wear out the remainder of the stock Metzlers.

Back