• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Driveshaft disappointment

Looks good. Complete with lube and perhaps a boot?
Someone going to be upset with it on the duvet?
OM

Strange question. What's in the bigger cylinder portion, and why is the Beemershop's shorter than the BMW shaft. However, the BMW shaft is not servicable, while the Beemershop's is, so perhaps is more overkill since there's no servicing. Also, what are those six cylindrical--hard rubber I think--for?

I thought the rubber pieces were possibly a boot but now I’m thinking part of the Cush-drive. Maybe.
OM

The black rubber cylindrical items are replacements for the dampener. Description from the Beemer Shop website:

R1200/1250 Ei Rebuildable Driveshaft for Liquid Cooled R12 Models Replaces BMW part number 33 73 8 531 102.

Uses grease fitting equipped extra heavy duty German made U-joints with removable circlips for easy replacement. Damper material replaceable by removal of one circlip. Extra set of dampers included. Fully rebuildable, all parts are available separately. Supported by a one year warranty.

U-joints are factory lubed and sealed, but for longest life u-joints can be greased every 30-40k miles. Use NLGI Grade 2 spec with an EP additive, commonly referred to as EP2 grease. One example is Chevron Ultra Duty EP2 grease but any lube meeting these specs is acceptable.

Back