• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Down Loadable maps for my iPad

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
This question may seem a little strange, but I'm wondering if there is an internet site that provides for downloading state road maps to my iPad, that I can access while not being connected. I have a Garmin GPS, but still prefer to use a paper map for most of my planning, or just for looking at alternate routes to a destination. As an old timer, I am quite devoted to my Rand McNally road maps but wouldn't mind a little upgrade to using my iPad, as I feel I could zoom in and out, which would make it easier to see the possibilities. I've tried Kindle search, and gone directly to the Rand McNally web site, but they only seem to sell paper versions.......

Tomtom MAY have downloadable, offline maps for iPad.

Yup just checked out my version on iPad with wifi turned off, seems to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
There is a Rand McNally app available in the App Store. The app downloads the same maps onto you iPad so no internet connection is required. They are the same maps you see in their bound atlas'.

The app is not free, I bought it and use it frequently. It's OK but does not give any more detail than what you see in their paper versions. I also think they could make it a little easier to use. Like the paper version you can only "see" one state at a time and must go to the menu and select a new state vs sliding/scrolling on the map, etc.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MapsWithMe

MapsWithMe downloadable from iTunes. Lite version is free. Pro version, which allows searches and bookmarking, is $5.

What is wrong with the map app that comes with the IPad or phone I use it all the time.

I am a big fan of ALK CoPilot app. It's not free but the maps are downloaded to your device. I have not tried it on Apple products but it works great on Android and Windows Phone. I prefer the interface over both Garmin and TomTom.

Thanks for the links. I tired to upload the Mapswithme but my internet service cut out about half way through saying I'd used up my allowable 5 gig allowance, so I'll have to head over to a free wifi server to try again. And not sure about the map that comes with my iPad. Does it need to be connected to WiFi to get access? I'll play around with it a little to see if I can find what your are referring to. As far as the iPad, I am new to the process, and still learning what is available.....

Galileo maps

I use Galileo maps app. You can cache as many maps as you want in various raster formats or in vector charts. You can also record tracks and export trascks in various formats. I've been using CoPilot to plan routes.

I use an InReach with the Earthmate map app on an iPad & iPhone. Works great offline (but I still carry rand mcnally...nothing beats looking at a crinkled map book while eating at a diner in BFE)

I use Gaia GPS. I can download multiple map sources plus really cool waypoints like national parks, trails, camping, natural, springs, mines to name a few. I have found mining ghost towns way out in the west desert of Utah using this app that don't appear on any other map. All that being said I download Google Terrain maps but the waypoints is what makes the app for me. It names the mountain peaks, canyons and shoes me all the gravel/dirt and asphalt roads.

waypoints

Is there a way on any of these IOS or Android GPS apps to send waypoints from Basecamp and import them or in IOS case "open in" so the waypoints are transferred to the iPad/iphone?

What is wrong with the map app that comes with the IPad or phone I use it all the time.

It only works when you have data connection. Not much help on two lane boonie roads. +1 on You Need A Map app. And it is free. But it eats a lot fo storage, 32 Gb unit recommended.

i got an app for my I-phone called GPS CoPilot. it works just like a gps but the maps are downloaded onto my phone. I do not have to have the data on or even a signal to use it because the maps are on it. It takes a little space but works pretty well with speed and compass.

Back