• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Deflector / Spoiler vs Screen replacement

jpl77

Hello,

Looking for personal experience if someone bought a spoiler for their screen or if you just replaced it.

I've got a GSA and I get buffeting on my helmet. I'm 5'10".

I've narrowed my choices down to the Wunderlich Vario Ergo 3D deflector or getting the Wunderlich Marathon II screen.

Online price is 130€ for the spoiler and 180€ for the screen. That jumps to 220€ of i get the reinforced bracket.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I use a Touratech version of clamp on on my GSA that can be moved to other bikes. Took the buffeting out of the mix.

It is a quick change that keeps you from buying a new windshield and not solving the problem possibly. When I bought mine, no one had an angled product.

I have a GSA and I am 5’10”. I used a MRA X-creen on my stock windshield for awhile. It is adjustable and worked well. I eventually put a Puig touring screen on with the reinforcement bracket. I changed as much for asthetics as for function.

I used a cheap eBay spoiler on my K75S with an Aeroflow windscreen. I tried several different screens before settling on this combo. I'm just over 6 foot and with the RDL seat, the Aeroflow windscreen just wasn't quite enough coverage. I like using the adjustable spoiler because it allows you to vary the wind flow - down in the city, and up on the freeway. Even though it isn't the highest quality, it hasn't ever slipped off, but I do need to occasionally tighten the bolts.

MRA X-creen

On my 2017 GS (not Adventure) the stock screen is good enough for me but I added the MRA X-creen and as far as straight-on helmet buffeting it works really well.
It's a pricey little bit of plastic, but is fully adjustable and is a solid mount without using screws. It has built in clamps. There is a solid mount version for less $$$ as well.
Since I used this on my previous camhead, it was easy to swap out. I've used it on other bikes as well. Nice to be able to do that.

mra.xcc.0_01.jpg

IMG_8627-XL.jpg

I went and ordered the Wunderlich deflector as well as a kick stand pad extender.
I'll post an update once I get it.

They have a 10% discount right now so that covered the shipping costs.

I'm in Europe atm, and the price difference between the US price and Euro price was substantial.

133€

I wear earplugs like 99% of the time. The buffeting I experience is actual wind that is turbulent that smacks the top of my helmet.

So it has been raining for the past few days and this morning was the first chance to ride with the spoiler.... I love it.

The ride is quieter and I have a much larger pocket of calm air around me.

Tested it up to 150 km/h. Didn't notice too much extra vibration as compared to before but I had an odd vibe at 50 km/h once. It seemed as if the windscreen started to resonant with the boxer engine, but since the deflector is at the utmost top of the screen it vibrated laterally.

I'm thinking the bracket to reinforce the windshield would have been a good idea to purchase.

Mounting was simple but complex. German engineers... There are 6 or 7 bolts you need to tighten. And you have to hold on to little pieces of rubber and 2 metal clips. There are picture directions installed, but they are of low quality print and hard to see all the features due to contrast. The 2 little rubber piece are actually cut and meant to be installed in a certain fashion... however it will take you a few minutes to figure out which is the left and right side, and which way is up and down.

Anyways, time will tell and I'll tweak it more and test with passengers to see how they like it.

Final note, it seemed "huge" and right on my vision at first, but that's because I've ridden the bike for 10,000 km and I'm not used to it. Driving 40 km back home I didn't even know it was there.

edit* due to auto correct typos from cell phone.

65421197c640bf50dc70b709356edc37.jpg
50c091752f1ddc7dac8f4eb96314e116.jpg
e1dadd3136986b191c2f1a6da30af26f.jpg
db1efc27fd1f46d0c030f6ed72a5357c.jpg

Last edited:
I just cropped and made a collage of 2 older pics before the spoiler to show my relative riding height and how/where the windshield is in relation to my face/helmet.

Attachments

• collage.jpg
    collage.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,273
So this is a pic I took today.. About as close to my face and eye ride height / location.

Didn't want to stop on a road to take the pic. But you get the idea of how my line of sight sees right over top of the deflector.
0fa82d16ddcb4b304dc82472cee04e07.jpg

Back