• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cycle Works Engine Multi-Tool

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I purchased Cycle Works Airhead Engine Multi-Tool Stage II. https://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29_51&products_id=367

This is not my fist purchase of tools from Cycle Works. All other tools came with directions/instructions on use. The Multi-Tool did not come with any. I reached out to Cycle Works, but I have not heard back. Are these tools similar to the BMW ones that they shouldn’t need instructions? Or were they in advertently left out. If anyone else ordered it, did instructions come with it? Thanks.

I would work through Brook Reams site for his work over the past few years. I found this one but it seems there are different components...maybe not the same kit:

https://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyc...iming-chain-crankshaft-sprocket-nose-bearing/

You've probably read/heard that Dan has been tough to get hold of...he's a one-man-show and has put the business in a hobby position relative to his family. I'm sure he'll be in contact, but it might take a bit.

Thanks Kurt. That does look like the same kit/tools, and it appears that Brook Reams got instructions. Now I have something to read before I do it myself.

that engine kit sure look a darn site slicker than my drive shaft starter set.
cush smusher;

bmw tool u cush compressor - 1.jpeg

u joint discombobulator
bmw tool u joint presses - 1.jpeg

in retrospect, the channel iron bent , wasn't quite up to the u-joint pressing specs, so I borrowed the ball joint press from o'reilly,
used sockets ( not pictured, but I'm certain that you gt the idea) for through-hole supports to press the joint end out into ,

Favorite tips are ;
Secure the BJ press to a stable table to keep all the moving parts aligned & allow focus on the pressing progress.
A over-built ( yeah , porsche) flywheel lock made a decent lower stage/platform for a work surface, while also clamping the press upright & steady.

Clean the press's screw of all the sand & sludge left by previous Borrowers, then oil the threads for max force & smooth turning.

Be sure to not crush / deform the drive shaft 'forks' when pressing ,
creatively supporting any free-hanging arms when loading up on them, those u-joint caps can be tight little buggers

Worked the charm.

Last edited:
You've probably read/heard that Dan has been tough to get hold of...he's a one-man-show and has put the business in a hobby position relative to his family. I'm sure he'll be in contact, but it might take a bit.

Kurt,
You hit the nail on the head here. Dan emailed me the instructions. All is good.

Back