• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Curse of the Fungal

bob_m

SFDoc showed up at my house promptly at 10:00. I showed him the yard and my garage and it was time to go. Doc got on his bike, and I was swinging a leg over mine, and my knee buckled and the bike fell over in my driveway. For those of you who don't know, 2 years ago I completed a frame up restoration. Great, we get the bike up and I have a serious skuff on the fairing, and a hyperextended knee (and of course new dimples in the valve cover)

I kind of walk around and decide that I don't need my knee to ride (expecting everything to go perfectly) so, very carefully, I get back on the bike, and we are off. I-5 to 199 and at Cave Junction we take the Happy Camp road to 96. We roll west on 96 to the Scott Valley road and meet up with Sector. Well it is getting on toward dusk and I get a rear flat. SFDoc gets out his little electric pump and we air up, cause we can only be a couple of miles from the camp site. Air up again. The third time I put in Fix-A-Flat w/ air (Big mistake). Air up a 4 th time and make it to the camp at dark.

The camp ground was wired with a phone so we called Red Beemer, who would be arriving the next day, and requested he bring a tube. The 3 of us cobbed together some food and bagged it early.

Next day I found some plywood to prop up the bike, at a concrete sidewalk, cause the ride off stand does not allow enough clearance to drop the tire below the fender. I get the tire off and we use the side stand on SFDoc's GS to break the bead on the tire. It was easier than anyone could possible imagine.

We get the tube out and find that the tire had picked up what looked like one leg of a roofing staple. Serious impailer. The tube was punctured, but the cause of the flat was obvious. I clean the tire, tube and wheel, and patched the tube. I tested it for bubbles in the river, none, and put the tire back together and the wheel back on the bike. I just finish up when Red Beemer shows up with the tube.

We greet and let him get the lay of the campsite, then I check the tire pressure again and it is just where I left it. Tire Fixed. :brow

Off we go for a day ride. The Siskyous are spectacular. Big mountains, deserted roads. SFDoc has pictures that I am sure will follow soon. I was leading for a brief spell, and I felt a wobble in 25 MPH corners. I pull over in the parking lot of a dive bar/resturant/store/post office in the remote hamlet of Callahan. Flat rear tire. Doc ask me if I brought the tube. I regretfully had to reply NO ("F__K ME" I thought) It turns out that the Fix-A-Flat disolved the patch glue and the patch failed.

Doc runs back to fetch the tube, about a 2 hour ride, Sector goes off sightseeing and Red Beemer stays with me in Callahan. I rolled the bike into a shady spot in a field across the street from the general store. There is considerable evidence that horses use this field. 3 hours later Sector returns. She does not like to ride at night, so she booked back to the campsite. About 1 1/2 hours later Red Beemer & I are starting to get concerned about Doc. I start asking patrons of the local enterprise if they might consider throwing a motorcycle in their truck. They would consider it they say, then the calvery arrives. I was sure SFDoc would be madder than a wet hen because it was just stupid to not bring the tube, but he was busting a grin from ear to ear. The rotors of his front brakes were frying pan hot, and he had been frolicking on these remote backroads while running the errand.

We put the tube in and tire on just as dusk was falling. We hooked up the little pump and the seal in the little piston was blown. We got the tire up to about 30 PSI, but the beads were not set. Just then some scrawney long hair, scraggley beard, local, stops to ask about our problem. He volunteers that he is an Indian Mechanic of some renownd. "The real ones, not the Harley things". He went back to his shop and returned with a canister of compressed air. I shot 80 PSI into the tire and the bead POPPED into place. We were off. We did not see the black cows that had been in the road in the afternoon as we coursed the mountain roads at night.

At the campground Burnzilla, Dick, Darren, Sector were there waiting for us around a crackling fire. We had beer and take out burgers waiting for us and it was great.

No one puked.

Rode home today and the bike and I have made up. :clap

I thank everyone who bailed me out of what whould have been Deep Sh_t. It was not the most fun I have had on a camping weekend, but it is wonderfully reasuring to know what a great bunch of folks we share the interweb with. I have some serious Karma pay backs to deliver.

Sounds like you managed to have fun despite your tire (and knee) issues. Glad to hear it and I'm looking forward to more Fungal tales..... :lurk

Had a great time, even with all the side line repairs. Fantastic roads in and around the area, and very nice not so technical logging roads over the mountain. (will post pictures soon)

Bob and I rode I-5 North, after a fuel stop and looking north the sky looked bleak, I mentioned the "R" word. Five minutes later it was raining. An hour later it raining harder we stopped in Cottage Grove and dawned our rain gear over the "Stich's" thinking it was going to be a long rainy day.

It stopped raining five-minutes later and the sun came out. :hungover

I went through one gully-washer near Woodland/Cougar WA. that lasted two-minutes then it was dry all the way home.

I could have arrived home dry just with the Stich, but having put plastic rain gear on ealier only insured that the weather would be nice all the way...

Now my stich needs to hang dry overnight because it wet??? Hmmm. :doh

Can't wait 'til next year.... :thumb

Doc

You mean this?

Is this what you are talking about, "side line repair"

Attachments

• FUNGAL ride 018.jpg
    FUNGAL ride 018.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 90
The airhead in need of a tube

Yes, it looks bad and as it got darker it looked worse (for Bob_M).

Attachments

• FUNGAL ride 019.jpg
    FUNGAL ride 019.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 90
curse of the fungal

Bob:

One of the advantages of an airhead RS is that you can carry front and rear spare tubes in one of those 15 inch long by 3 inch across zip up cordura or canvas bags, available from any outfitter (or get them from Helen Two Wheels). You drop it into the left or right fairing space, just ahead of your knee. It does not need to be velcroed into place. I rode an RS for 16 years, and worried a lot about flats, but never had one.

Sounds like you all had a great time, in spite of the "complication".

Rinty

Back