• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

correct grease for spline/wheel lube

I could use some advice. I am lubing the input shaft spline and rear wheel splines on my 83 R80. I bought a small tube of "BMW Microlube GL261" from the dealer to do this job. It says on it, "For use on clutch spline shaft". Then on the back of the package it claims you can use it for just about everything on the bike. It also mentions that it contains," mineral oil and lithium soap". It is a clear/yellow color. My questions are these.

All the articles I have read suggest a moly type grease, or mixing Honda Moly 60 with a Stuttgart grease, or some sticky blend. Moly grease seems to be popular for this job. All moly stuff I have used was grey. I can't believe this GL261 has any in it. And why mineral oil and "soap"? Has anyone actually used this stuff (GL261) or knows anything about it? Is it any good? Or should I go get some of the Honda stuff, or what? The splines are in good shape. I just want something that will last a while, and protect them.

Secondly, I find it a bit hard to believe that this GL261 can handle both the sliding/loading of the clutch shaft and the (I would imagine) much more demanding job of protecting the rear wheel splines. Can it do it? BMW, or at least Kluber Lubrication says so.

I'll use whatever does the best job. I just can't figure out what that is.
And I also can't say I have the greatest faith in the advice of some of the dealerships that don't even recognize as their own brand an airhead when it drives in. Thank you everyone for your help.

Attachments

• DSC02153.jpg
    DSC02153.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 301
Personnally, I wouldn't use the BMW grease. They have been wrong on their greases in the past. Current BMW independent mechanics (Tom Cutter and Ted Porter) have recommended the Honda Moly 60 paste. I think Tom has been "experimenting" with a Sig Wurth 6000 or something or other...or maybe that was Snowbum. Mr. Snowbum has quite a discussion of greases. I've taken his suggestion and have been using a Chevron NLGII red tacky grease with a wheel bearing grease (with moly) mixed at 70/30 Chevron to wheel bearing grease.

Any lube is better than no lube.

Both Oak and Snobum suggest best results with Honda Moly 60 mixed with red grease 50/50. Used both for trans and rear drive splines.

One tube Moly 60 mixed as above is enough for you and 5 airhead buddies for life. Share the cost and be Airhead Simple on your budget.

When I did the input shaft and final drive shaft on my '02 R1200C a couple fo years ago I asked about 20 BMW service managers, master techs & dealers what they used. About half said just Honda Moly 60 and nothing else. A few said to mix the GL261 with Permatex Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant. I took the mixture route as I already paid a lot for the GL261 and have had no problems since. And that was many thousands of miles ago. I guess the theory is you need something thick enough to not fly off, something thin enough to coat smoothly, and resistant to high heat, galling and corrosion.

Last edited:
I guess the theory is you need something thinck enough to not fly off, something thin enough to coat smoothly, and resistant to high heat, galling and corrosion.

I've not heard of antiseize being used in great quantities...best to use it in small doses. Adding to the above, you want something that is not going to fly off, melt and run, and something that will allow sliding...that's where the moly comes in.

Hi,
The current theory is Honda Moly 60 Paste mixed 50/50 with Wurth Sig 3000 will give enough Moly along with being sticky enough that it won't be slung off. Another product is Guard Dog Moly 525.

The GL261 seems to stay on better than the Honda stuff. I found quite a bit of the Honda stuff flung out, early on. Two other local BMW riders had same experience. Theyhad opinon besides "huh". I have not tried mixing it.
I agree about the GL261 not being fior rear drive. I use automotive Moly paste in a can for the rear wheel splines. Just put it on the wheel, not gear drive , side. After cleaning old stuff, of course!~

Ah, yezzzzzz...another 'spline grease' thread...to go with 'oil' threads...'what helmet should I buy' thread...'what gloves should I buy for my unique hands' thread...

Chevron red...for dern near everything, actually, needing grease

Back