• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clutch

RPGR90s

I'm helping a buddy with a R60/5 where the clutch works but the engagement point doesn't happen until the lever is nearly all the way out.

I've checked cable and lever adjustments and they're perfect.

I had to remove the rear end to address some leaking seals so decided to tear into a visual inspection of the clutch.

Clutch Spring height is .6940", which appears within spec.
Friction disc thickness is .2345" which is within spec.

However, this clutch has six .154" (4mm) thickness spacers installed between the pressure ring and pressure plate. (BMW p/n 21 21 0 070 511).

I'm curious why they're used (I've never seen them on R90s's, R90/6's or R75/5's I've worked on)?

And.....would their use would be causing the late engagement of the clutch?

Thanks much,

RPGR90s

Those washer/spacers were used on the /2 era clutches as well. They had various methods of spacing the parts and to allow the dust, etc, to escape. I don't think that's the issue.

Any chance that the clutch pushrod is the wrong one? Anton has some pictures of various pushrods:

http://largiader.com/articles/throwout/

From his pictures, the early /5 should be 215.5mm long.

Proper clutch cable? You probably have clutch actuation adjustment down pat, but here's what's been posted as recommended by Tom Cutter:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?39773-No-adjustment-left-in-Clutch-rod&p=499945#post499945

I believe the Pressure plate thrust rod contact area is worn. The Thrust rod measures the correct length and is straight.

IMG_1909.jpg

Back