• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clearwater Lights on R1250RT

I am thinking about installing Clearwater Lights on my R1250RT 2023 with OEM fog lights. After researching I have decided on the Clearwater Lights brand. I am undecided on the type and install location. If you have installed Clearwater Lights to your R1250RT I would be interested in your experience and pictures so I could make an informed decision. Specifically, pictures of a Race Blue Metallic R1250RT 2023 with the installed Erica Clearwater Lights with Mirror Mount and Darla Clearwater Lights. Thanks, Tom

more pics

Three pics with Ericas and stock BMW drivings lights.
2.jpeg

1 (7).jpeg

1 (6).jpeg

Ilium engine guards installed with Darla lights mounted.
1 (5).jpeg

Last edited:
Clearwater Erikas w/ Ilium bars

I have just installed the Clearwater Erika lights (with the Billie Brake Light option) on my '21 RT. I used the Ilium engine guards as the mounting point. Installation of the Ilium guards is straightforward and the YouTube videos available show the process well.

Installation of the Erikas went very well. For me, the worst part of the install process was taking off the painted plastic panels covering the gas tank to gain access to the channels where the cables need to run. Clearwater's videos show using a nylon "fish" tape to pull the cables from the head of the bike to the tail, but that was just not working for me at all.

The absolute worst part of the installation is getting the relay module to fit inside the designated space in the headstock. Creative use of some strong zip ties is needed. Also, on the '21 and newer RT's the superbly loud horn is living just in front of the headstock frame tubing, so make sure not to allow any of the install to make it any less frightening to the errant cagers.

The Clearwater CAN Bus adapter is easy to connect, and way easier to program (if wanted) than their instructions might indicate.

FWIW, I think the Billie brake light option is fabulous and well worth it. I am a huge fan of the Clearwater lighting family -- this RT is the third bike I have fitted them to.

Attachments

• ErikaLights_IliumBars.01.jpg
    ErikaLights_IliumBars.01.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 184
  • ErikaLights_On.01.jpg
    ErikaLights_On.01.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 187
  • ErikaLights_On.02.jpg
    ErikaLights_On.02.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 184
The absolute worst part of the installation is getting the relay module to fit inside the designated space in the headstock. Creative use of some strong zip ties is needed.

Sweet setup, professorb! I mounted the relay to the headstock using heavy-duty velcro. Then I zip-tied around it for added security. It is a tight squeeze! Tried to make pics but it's hard to distinguish the details, so pics are not much help.

I have just installed the Clearwater Erika lights (with the Billie Brake Light option) on my '21 RT. I used the Ilium engine guards as the mounting point. Installation of the Ilium guards is straightforward and the YouTube videos available show the process well.

Installation of the Erikas went very well. For me, the worst part of the install process was taking off the painted plastic panels covering the gas tank to gain access to the channels where the cables need to run. Clearwater's videos show using a nylon "fish" tape to pull the cables from the head of the bike to the tail, but that was just not working for me at all.

The absolute worst part of the installation is getting the relay module to fit inside the designated space in the headstock. Creative use of some strong zip ties is needed. Also, on the '21 and newer RT's the superbly loud horn is living just in front of the headstock frame tubing, so make sure not to allow any of the install to make it any less frightening to the errant cagers.

The Clearwater CAN Bus adapter is easy to connect, and way easier to program (if wanted) than their instructions might indicate.

FWIW, I think the Billie brake light option is fabulous and well worth it. I am a huge fan of the Clearwater lighting family -- this RT is the third bike I have fitted them to.

I like the look of the Ericas install. Do you have pictures of the complete front view? I would like either the Darlas or Ericas installed the same as you. Why did you choose Ericas over Darlas?

I like the look of the Ericas install. Do you have pictures of the complete front view? I would like either the Darlas or Ericas installed the same as you. Why did you choose Ericas over Darlas?

Here is the front-on view with all the lights...

On my '21 R1250RT the stock driving lights work reasonably well and I intended to keep them as supplied. The Darlas at 2.2 inches diameter are a similar size, and would represent a noticeable upgrade to the stock lights.

As I had just installed the Ilium Works engine protection bars, I knew those would be the attachment points for additional lighting -- in my case I chose the Ericas for their slightly larger size (3.7 inches) and superior light output. I would not have chosen the Sevinas for this bike as they would look way too big.

If I had not added the guard bars, I would have just upgraded the stock lights to the Darlas. They are wicked bright for their size.

Attachments

• ErikaLights.FullFront.01.jpg
    ErikaLights.FullFront.01.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 78
Back