• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cleaning Oxidized Wheel Hubs R60/5

Workaround removing entire wheel bearing assembly

Glad I hit the link to Duane Ausherman's site on wheel bearing maintenance! With a remote possibility of damaging the wheel hub while trying to heat & remove hub assembly, Duane makes a great suggestion as follows:

This tool can be purchased from Ed Korn at http://www.cycleworks.net/ very cheaply. The shot is so close that it is distorted a bit. It is exactly 2" long.

The reason for renewing the lube is twofold. One, it assures lubrication. Two, it cleans out dirt. A type of greasing tool can be bought, or made, that will lube both bearings without removing anything but the axle. With that tool, one can give it a shot of grease every time a tire is changed. Not a lot of grease, but a pump or two. The first I knew of this tool was when my ace mechanic, Brian Hilton, suggested it. He made one and it worked beyond our expectations. It just slides into the axle hole and has O-rings to seal off the bearings. A hole through the center allows new grease to be pumped into each bearing from one side. The old grease is pushed out the other side. The hub isn't threatened by being heated, or the hammering on the bearing stack.

Since both wheels need attention, this may be a less invasive route and accomplishes the same thing.

Edit: Now that I've read more and watched a You Tube video, I'm going to remove the entire assembly to completely clean wheel assembly and make sure the left bearing gets checked and cleaned real good - for future service, the tool above makes sense but not now as no service baseline on this old bike.

Attachments

• tool1.jpg
    tool1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Follow up: Used a heat gun and carefully removed the inner hub & race assembly - everything checked out A-ok - original brown grease from the factory - cleaned bearings, fresh high quality grease, and re-assembled! Making good progress here.

Thanks Mike - as long as I keep what needs
attention, broken down its fun - been working from the rear towards the front. She's a keeper!

Last edited:
Back