• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Classic Bavarian Bagger

So's a company that makes caskets!

But they're in Batesville, Indiana

batesville-logo.jpg

Mark Martin

I didn't know Mark Martin personally, but have met him. My sister was a classmate of his. My girlfriend in my freshmen year at Arkansas College now Lyon College was from Southside, Ar.. Her family home place is now the home of Mark Martin Ford. Kinda sad to see things change in the home town. Batesville is in Independence County. I've got people buried all over that county going back to the 1800's. Country folks, farmers mostly. They were not BMW type people. Horse's, mules, cows, pigs, chickens, wells with a bucket and pulley, outhouses. Funny thinking about the well, one water ladle, we all shared it. The more prosperous farmers had two hole outhouses. We never got that we'll off. Kinda glad we didn't. Amusing, thinking back to a time long gone.

CBB and Me circa 1990

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 132.jpg
Pretty much a typical set up back then. I bought the bike back in '88 with the with the Windjammer and small trunk. Added the Krauser International bags a little later. This setup carried me a lotta miles. It was ok, but I saw a diamond in the rough. It would be a couple of years before the 1st transformation and a big improvement withe the removal of the fairing.

Lull in the action.

The frame is off getting a little welding done to mount the old horn mount and new attach points for hiway horns. The wheels are still off getting set up so I'm sittin around a little bored. Like most folks, I'm also dealing with a few family issues, health related. Kinda slowed down my momemtem on the bike. Ran across these old pics and snapped a couple of pics with the digital camera. Results of that are so so.

Really enjoying this thread. All the photos showing every stage of the work are great. Even for a non-mechanic, I get the general drift, between the pics and the commentary. Looking forward to seeing the final result, but anticipating the blow-by-blow photos just as much. Thanks, Barry and all the others who have helped out.

Chillicothe (OH) class of '71. Vintage year it seems.

Thanks much. You say your not a mechanic, don't feal bad about; I'm mediocre at best. I have to make myself do it. I'm a pretty fair machinist. I havn't touched the bike in a couple of weeks. I gotta run down to Dallas/Ft. Worth tomorrow , hopefully get back to the bike when I get back. Maybe go by and see Perry and Mary Bushong while I'm down there and see some BMW's their building. "71, can't believe were in our 60's now. Back in '71, I gave some thought to the year 2000- Y2K. We're almost 15 years beyond that now. Time flies.

Parts Procurement

Went over to Performance Plus, the BMW dealer in Memphis the other day. On a mission for parts for another BMW bike. After that, went over to see Marshall Robilio. On that visit Marshall handed me the reflecters. Good. The ones on the bike were in sad shape, cracked to pieces. Marshall has all the little pieces you need. On a bike build, procuring all the little pieces is a never ending excersize. Glad to get them, thanks Marshall.

BMW pics fall 2014 007.jpg
This was done at the hanger. Rick had the tools to do this. This was done this last summer. Just got the piccs loaded.

Drive Ring Heads of the Brads Machined Off

Did this last spring. Took it over to a engine shop in downtown Memphis. It's across the street from Redbird Stadium and couple of blocks from Beale St.. My buddy Ron is an engine builder there. He set it up and machined off the heads of the pins that hold the splined ring gear. We then drove the pins out. That hub is now over at another buddy of mine where the hub is being spoked up to a rim. Ron is a very good engine builder; really as good as there is. He's also the best machinist I know. He's also a journeymen tool and die maker and is a good cnc machinist. he's built, fabricated, and machined all sorts of parts for cars, trucks, motorcycles. Stock, custom,and all sorts of racing parts. It's good to know the best there is. The last few years he been building all sizes of American V8 engines. Mostly those from the 50's, 60's and erly 70's. Thx Ron. :thumb

These pics were taken with an IPhone5. My neighbor came over and showed me how to load them to the computer. I'm so far behind in the computer age, I'll never catch up. He had to resize, stretch, squeeze em to get them to load. Thx goodness for the help.

I'm out of sequence. Pictures 46,48,50 show the old ring drive with the worn splined gear and the new gear for comparison.

Parts ordered finally showin up. Lots of stainless. Axles, mounts for the spot lamp holders, exhaust system,
upper triple tree, top steering nut, etc. Gotta new center stand. Bunch anew little stuff. The old center stand was fixed and welded, but the bike sit a little odd. The front wheel was just too high off the ground, when bike was on the center stand. OK for a runner, but not this build. Hope to get started on the fork reassembly asap. I need to get my chrome parts together and over to Memphis Plating to be processed. My Buddy says he's making progress on the frame. It's past time to get the show on the road.

The top triple tree and top crown nut are the oem pieces. I was going to replate the tree and crome plate the nut. I decided that new stainless parts would be better for the build, The new new triple tree came without the 2 smaller holes drilled. Took it over to my buddy, Ron. He took the old part lined it up with the new piece and drilled and reamed to size and location. That hole is part of the mounting for the instrument cluster and accessory instrument mounts for the clock and voltmeter. Two little holes drilled, little job that has to be done.

Back