• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

changing my r12r oil (20w50).

,, well, most of the time
:)
319975353_f6d1d19020.jpg

Care to tell us the story behind this photo???

It appears to be real, I see spoilers deployed on the starboard wing, and opposite rudder. Yikes!

tomcat

Care to tell us the story behind this photo???

It appears to be real, I see spoilers deployed on the starboard wing, and opposite rudder. Yikes!

1982.. me and chuck sewell (deceased). it was a flight test program to anaylze flight characteristics with a full asymmetric wing configuration. the aircraft (tomcat #3) had a flight test modification for the test. there was an asymmetry sensor that would lock the wings if a 3 degree asymmetry was detected but the navy paid us (grumman ) to flight test a full asymmetric state. the jet could be safely landed in that configuration .as i recall, we had to add 30 or 35 kts to the normal landing speed (about 125 kts). wouldn't want to do it aboard a carrier at night, though.

the spoilers did provide some roll authority but differential stabalizers did most of it.

that jet is currently on display at the cradle of aviation on long island, ny. all (u.s.) tomcats are obsolete these days, as am i.
:(

Last edited:
Nice:)

I fly general aviation(40th year) and my eldest Daughter flies the new F18s out of OceanaNAS today. I can't believe WHAT you must know and do to fly one of these craft! Its a WOW factor of 10, at least:). She goes on her first Middle East assignment sometime after Jan1,2013. Ya'll tough cookies, fly'in Navy jets! Hats OFF to ya. Jessica also rides Beemers, of course. Her Dads Daughter:). Randy:usa:usa

1982.. me and chuck sewell (deceased). it was a flight test program to anaylze flight characteristics with a full wing asymmetric wing configuration. the aircraft (tomcat #3) had a flight test modification for the test. there was an asymmetry sensor that would lock the wings if a 3 degree asymmetry was detected but the navy paid us (grumman ) to flight test a full asymmetric state. the jet could be safely landed in that configuration .as i recall, we had to add 30 or 35 kts to the normal landing speed (about 125 kts). wouldn't want to do it aboard a carrier at night, though.

the spoilers did provide some roll authority but differential stabalizers did most of it.

that jet is currently on display at the cradle of aviation on long island, ny. all (u.s.) tomcats are obsolete these days, as am i.
:(

Thanks for the story. I always figured 1) they were linked together and 2) it would be unifiable in that configuration. Amazing.

Bravo-Zulu to PolarBear's daughter!

Tim,
BMW uses crush washers on the oil drain plug, the transmision filler and drain plug and on the Final drives on earlier models. Also used on brake line banjo fittings.
The purpose is to "crush" into shape, acting as both a lockwasher and a seal.

Back