• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Canadian Brake light wiring on 2010 R1200RT

mward

I?m a Canadian with a Canadian R1200 RT (2010) Canbus version, attempting to install a high conspicuity supplemental brake like assembly purchased from a US BMW aftermarket supplier & BMW dealer. My Canadian BMW dealer service tech could not get the light assembly working....after calls to BMW Canada Support the response was that Canadian BMW wiring is different from the US hence the light and US BMW wiring harness supplied with the light assembly would not work.....BMW did not offer a wiring diagram to help me get around the problem or offer any other alternatives. I returned the Brake light assembly to the US supplier out of despair,?..return shipping, tax an BMW service tech time / cost ($150) out of pocket.

Would anyone know a supplier for a high intensity supplemental brake light assembly made for the Canadian BMW market / Cdn. wiring schema?

Thanks Robert....Im a tad north or TO....a little bit of a drive form Montreal but the install looks simple enough....I will check it out...good recomendatioon thank you.

Motorcycle Innovation carries the Skene lights and if you do not have an alarm system on your motorcycle you might need an auxiliary fuse block. I went with the additional fuse block since I was adding more stuff to my ride.

Best regards,

Robert

Is there a best practice in wire routing for the P3 TS?

On the 'RT you can mount the controller and most of its wires completely inside the tail light lens.

The red wire is routed forward to the green/white wire in the alarm connector.

Jerry

Worked perfectly.....great conspicuity.....very good product,...thank you all for the great help!

I?m a Canadian with a Canadian R1200 RT (2010) Canbus version, attempting to install a high conspicuity supplemental brake like assembly purchased from a US BMW aftermarket supplier & BMW dealer. My Canadian BMW dealer service tech could not get the light assembly working....after calls to BMW Canada Support the response was that Canadian BMW wiring is different from the US hence the light and US BMW wiring harness supplied with the light assembly would not work.....BMW did not offer a wiring diagram to help me get around the problem or offer any other alternatives. I returned the Brake light assembly to the US supplier out of despair,?..return shipping, tax an BMW service tech time / cost ($150) out of pocket.

Would anyone know a supplier for a high intensity supplemental brake light assembly made for the Canadian BMW market / Cdn. wiring schema?

If you are talking about the BMW Supplemental Brake Light and the associated harness (that is bike specific) it will work but it is not an easy install. I have done 3 GSA's (2008, 2013) and one RT (2009). With those four installs I got two different lights (look the same externally, same part number). One type of light has brake light only, the other has brake and tail light. To add to the confusion the plug is wired differently on both types (if the supplied bike harness works on one light it won't work on the other. I got three harnesses for the GSA's (Deluxe Harness C), all three harnesses are wired differently even though they have the same part number. When I did the install I was "lucky" in that the first harness and light I got matched and worked. When I ordered the next three the next install didn't work so I started to compare lights and harnesses. Without a number of lights and harnesses to compare it would be very difficult to sort out. And the colour code on the light wiring is different from the harness.

The light is very bright and I added a flasher to make it even more visible (which works on the LED taillighted GSA's but not on the Pulse Modulated bulb taillight on the RT).
This install is not easy and may or may not be plug and play. The nice part about it is that the harness plugs in to existing wiring with no cutting so it can be removed without leaving a trace. I have a write up of hw to identify the lights and harnesses and how to install if anyone is interested.

Back