• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camping and Carrying '91 K75

B

BRIENP

I am going on my second MC camping trip, to the BMW Rally in PA. For my first trip, in 1979, I just slung my backpack over the sissy bar of my old Suzuki 550 GS. This time, I envisioning "moving up" to a duffel bag strapped over the rear seat and rear luggage rack of my K75 (1991). I want to test my self at MC camping before I invest in saddlebags or other dedicated carriers. I have a nice, solid duffel made out of nylon, holding about 100 liters that I envision using.

Who has experience carrying gear in a duffel bag? What do you advise by way of securing it, packing it, and so forth? Will it affect performance enough to make riding unsafe?

Thanks much, and carpe diem.

The video below illustrates use of a certain type of packing system, but the general idea is applicable to most any large bag or bags. The woman that used to own the H2W business traveled to many BMW rallies and gave demos of this packing method. Needless to say, she sold a lot of her bags... then, she sold the business.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NPL4-ic_RnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My initial method of travel was clothes and such in the saddlebags with all camping equipment in a big REI drybag strapped across the back seat. The drybag held the tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, etc. Last year I hauled all my camping gear after about 8 years storage and decided to freshen things up a bit.

I went to an REI Attic sale (where they sell returns to members at 50% to 90% off) and bought a brand new REI Quarterdome tent someone had returned without even setting it up, even had the optional ground cloth -- for $60 down from about $325. This tent is about 1/3 the packed size of my Moss/LL Bean dome tent but far better designed for summer moto camping with a full mesh upper, vented rain fly and double doors/vestibules. I then got a Big Agnes 45-degree sleeping bag again about 1/3 the size of my old North Face Cat's Meow but much better designed, replaced the big Thermarest with a Big Agnes Clearview 2.5" thick pad, and a Big Agnes inflatable pillow that packs down smaller than a coke can but is huge and fits in the sleeping bag's pillow pocket.

End result is now I pack clothes in one saddle bag, all my camping gear but the tent in the other saddle bag, and the tent across the back seat.

I guess the point is you can indeed do as you propose, just make sure the big drybag has handles to sneak rox straps or the like through to anchor it. Here is a pic from my first long moto trip ever, to the Canadian Maritimes back in 1996 -- took about two weeks and never had a problem with the packing. If you find you like it, think about upgrading as much of the new gear out now is light years ahead of what they sold just ten years ago.

canad12.jpg

Make sure to invest in good, strong straps. You can get them in all colors, thicknesses and lengths at REI for a few dollars or invest in the more expensive but more useful Rox Straps through any of a number of online vendors. Do NOT use bungee cables, use straps -- one per side to anchor and another per side on top for good luck. I never had any issues with handling, matter of fact it made a nice backrest :)

+1 on the Rok Straps!

Definately worth a few dollars more.

Also, I suggest you practice before the rally. Even if it's just a few miles from home, pack up and go spend the night somewhere.

Thanks for the advice. I had actually purchased the Rok Straps before, so I think I am going down the right path.

I'm an experienced camper, but not an experienced packer of duffel on a bike. Don't want to swing the rear end around on a twisty, and have my undies arrive before I do.....

Who has experience carrying gear in a duffel bag? What do you advise by way of securing it, packing it, and so forth? Will it affect performance enough to make riding unsafe?

I secured my duffel bag using Aerostich stabilizer straps and Rok straps.

Attachments

• 2007_BlackHills_Stampede-and-MOA 111.jpg
    2007_BlackHills_Stampede-and-MOA 111.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 152
It is possible to fit all your gear in the luggage, even if not many of us do it. It does require that everything you carry packs small. Most tents fail here because the poles don't break down into short enough lengths, but there are exceptions.

I can't do the drybag on the seat thing. I don't bend like that anymore, would never be able to get on or off the bike.

A generic plastic garbage bag comes in handy for in a rainstorm. I pack like you... throw on the duffel and strap 'er down. I almost bougt a dry bag (Ortleib) once... but keep coming back to the old soft luggage zipper bag I found in my closet. The garbage bag aint pretty but I've always been a function over form guy...

I secured my duffel bag using Aerostich stabilizer straps and Rok straps.
I can't add any expertise on the topic. Just intrigued that a Cajun posts a picture from my home state of North Dakota. Never saw too many Beemers around Wahpeton.

A generic plastic garbage bag comes in handy for in a rainstorm. I pack like you... throw on the duffel and strap 'er down. I almost bougt a dry bag (Ortleib) once... but keep coming back to the old soft luggage zipper bag I found in my closet. The garbage bag aint pretty but I've always been a function over form guy...

Seconded, although if my duffel bag does start falling apart I may look at a new solution.

I'll venture to say almost all of us have strapped a duffel to the back seat at one point or another. Rok straps are cool, those bungee cargo-net things work well too, I use both.

A couple of thoughts on actually mounting the bag. First, try running it longitudinally on the bike, that is from passenger seat out over the rear rack. Doing this let me use the mirrors on my K100RS, keeps the weight more central and is a bit more aerodynamic to boot. Second, Dry bags are relatively cheap, just get one. Preferably with a long zipper down the side as opposed to a hole in one end. Much easier to get your gear in and out that way.

Back