• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Breakaway Levers?

DSXMachina

My 2018 RT has a curious indent on the clutch and brake levers about 2” from the end of each. I wondered why for a long time. I think the notches may be built-in weak spots so in the case of a drop only the tip of the lever breaks off rather than the whole lever. It wouldn’t be pretty, but it would allow you to get home.
Do I surmise correctly, or are those notches there for another reason?D1E3D296-1E30-46AF-96C3-52624CAD6163.jpeg

That's exactly what they're for. Instead of busting the pivot point or leaving you with just a couple inches of lever after a tip over, you'll have most of a lever.

My Ducati 916 uses a zip tie at the pivot point with a couple sleeves. If it falls over the zip tie breaks and the lever stays intact.

I was taking a training class at BMW's performance training center a year ago in Greer SC, and they had a display cabinet with dozens of lever tips lined up in neat rows. Somewhat out of context, it took me a few moments to figure out what they were. I can't recall for how long a time span the instructors said that carnage represented, but it wasn't complete, as apparently many students keep the broken off lever tip as a keepsake.

Back