• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake Fluid Leak After Dropping 2005 RT

baronk

Today after a long ride I pulled my 2005 r 1200 RT into the garage to park it and while trying to miss my wife's Can-Am Spyder I dropped the bike on its right side. While immediately pulling the top and side cases off to lift the bike up I noticed brake fluid on the ground under the area of the bike where the rear brake fluid reservoir is located. After the bike was on its center stand I estimated maybe a quarter to a half of a cup of fluid was on the concrete. I felt the fluid and smelled it-it was brake fluid. No damage to the bike.

Thinking that I might be able to just add fluid to the reservoir I checked the rear brake fluid container and it was full. So I turned on the ignition and pressed both front and rear brakes and the level stated the same-full, and no brake system warnings appeared. For the heck of it I checked the front brake reservoir and it was full. The brake pressure modulator is a sealed system and I don't think it would leak from this event. I have not yet tried to ride the bike, a little nervous about doing so until I have an answer to the leak source.

Where did the fluid come from?

The modulator has two vents coming off the large fill plugs...how long was it on its side and was it running?

possible it came from modulator, a half cup is a lot of fluid

Have picked up a few sleeping bikes with the whizzy brake modulators like your 05 has. Some were on their side way longer than the time frame you had and have not seen any overflow...but typically bike is moving again and not parked,so, maybe if it did expel fluid from those vents we never saw it.

a little fluid can look like a lot as well...like a weeping fork or transmission seal ...looks critical when it really was a slight amount . If it were a full half cup, and warning light is not on, maybe it was a bit overfilled anyway.

The warning lamp usually will light up if the fluid in the modulator is too low on those models as well, checking visually requires tupperware and fuel tank removal and removal of the caps where those vent lines are located to see if fluid is at the white crossbar level

I think you are on to something there. I hooked up my GS 9ll and ran all the tests and everything was ok. I took of the cap and rubber seal for the rear brake reservoir and the fluid was lower than it first appeared. I am thinking now that when I changed out the bad pressure modulator a few months ago I over filled the reservoir and that extra and maybe a little more leaked out when the bike was on its side and the amount on the concrete looked like a lot more that it really was.
I will ride the bike this weekend and i am now thinking that all is well.
Thanks, Baron.

You deserve a better explanation

There are 4! Brake fluid reservoirs. The other 2 are in the under the gas tank abs module and they are vented to the air thru hoses. These are the source of the brake fluid you saw. They will often spill on a tip over.

They have caps that can be removed and fluid added.

Here is the best possible explanation of how to maintain this system I have found.

http://advrider.com/index.php?resources/abs-3-service-v2-0.7/

If you look on page 5 it shows the top of the reservoir and the caps that have to be removed to replace the spilled brake fluid.

You of course do not need to flush the system, but you might enjoy reading the information just to learn about the bike.

If your 05 happens to have black rubber brake lines, you do need to replace them. If they are clear over stainless steel then you are good. I think it is but I do not own a 05 so not sure. The black rubber fails without warning.

Rod

Thanks Rod. I will pull the plastic and tank and check the pressure modulator's front and rear reservoirs.
I have read a little about changing out the brake lines but could you share info about where to get them/best recc. for brands and any tips for install. I should have considered doing this when I changed the pressure modulator last yr. Thanks, Baron.

The 05 and newer gen 1200's all have braided SS lines already...good to go

The same modulator was in the last of the 1150's which did have rubber lines

Back