• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW sign Corser for WSBK

mika

Still Wondering
worldsbk.com: BMW sign Corser for WSBK

BMW sign Corser for WSBK
Update: September 25, 2008, 11.50 PM ET Comment Email Print

BMW are happy to announce that Australian Troy Corser has signed to ride the all new BMW S1000RR in next year's Superbike World Championship. The former double Superbike World Champion has agreed terms for two years and ends months of speculation as to who will join Spaniard Ruben Xaus in BMW's debut in the Superbike World Championship next season.

Troy won the Superbike World Championship in 1996, becoming the youngest rider ever to do so in the process, and then again in 2005. He has been runner-up in the WSBK championship once and third place on three occasions. To date he has taken part in over 300 races, been on the podium 126 times, and his 42 pole positions have earned him the nickname of "Mr Superpole".
Troy is married to Sam and they have two children, Kalani Gray (5) and Kelissa Illiana-Rose (3). Troy was born in Wollongong, Australia, but he and the family are now Monaco residents.

Peter Mueller (Executive Vice President Development and Model Lines)
With Troy and Ruben, I feel confident we will have the best riders possible for our start in the Superbike World Championship. Troy has unrivalled experience in the series and that, together with Ruben's exuberance, is our ‘dream team' and the combination we wanted, right from the start of this project. I feel sure that their knowledge of the series will definitely help us become competitive very quickly.

Berti Hauser (Director of BMW Motorrad Motorsport)
I am delighted that Troy is joining our team and that our jigsaw is now complete. He was in our minds from the start and I am very happy because I believe he and Ruben are the best combination of riders for our new challenge. Troy has told me that is excited about helping us develop the bike and be part of the project from the start. He also said that he would like to be the first rider in WSBK history to win the title with three different manufacturers and that he is physically and mentally ready make that his target.

Back in June BMW announced the signing of Ruben Xaus. Here is the press release of that announcement.

RUBEN XAUS SIGNS WITH BMW MOTORRAD MOTORSPORT
06/26/2008

Munich. BMW Motorrad Motorsport are delighted to announce that they have agreed terms with Ruben Xaus and that he will ride their all-new BMW S 1000 RR in the Superbike World Championship in 2009.
The contract between BMW Motorrad Motorsport and Ruben is for two years and is the first step in BMW Motorrad Motorsport's entry into World Superbikes. Ruben was born in Sant Cugat des Valles in Cataluyna, Spain and now resides with his wife (Mariona) and daughter (Julia) in Andorra. He has been a WSBK regular since 1998 and has taken 34 podiums, including 10 victories.

Peter Mueller (Executive Vice President Development & Model Lines):
Ever since we announced that we would enter the 2009 Superbike World Championship, there has been a lot of speculation about and interest in our bike and our riders. Everybody has already had some information about our new S1000 RR bike, and today we can reveal one of the riders who will join us in this great adventure next year. Ruben is a strong and combative rider, full of enthusiasm and with a passion for racing. This fits our philosophy completely and together we will take on this new challenge. We know that the Superbike World Championship is a very hard and competitive series, but we are not entering it just to make up the numbers: we will be taking part because we want to win! Of course, we are starting with a brand new bike but, together with Ruben, we believe we can progress quickly and maybe surprise a few people along the way.

Ruben Xaus:
When I met the BMW guys, I was very impressed by their commitment, their passion for racing and their ideas about the future. We discussed how the WSBK project was going and I realised that I wanted to be a part of it straightaway. It is not often that you get the chance to start a completely new project, but I am really looking forward to the challenge. Although it's going to be tough racing a new bike, I believe BMW will give me a good bike and great support and that's all I ask for.

Back