• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW R90S Built From MAX BMW Online Parts Catalog

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
This has been around, just showed up again on the MAX BMW E-Rider newsletter and I was thinking.....It's something worth watching again and if you are contemplating taking something apart, or have something apart, it's nice to see where it goes back :D

OM

That's why MY parts took three weeks to receive:laugh oops,wrong thread.

Still nice to see.

As soon as my '74 frame comes back from being welded on and slightly modified then painted, the assembly process begins. This video looks like it can be a good assist to the process. Thx.

A parts total of $46,000+ was mentioned, but there were adjustments to be made. I wonder what the final total was for parts...and is the amount given dealer cost or retail? When an o-ring costs over $2.00 I could see this kind of "project" costing more than $46,000 retail....no?

A parts total of $46,000+ was mentioned, but there were adjustments to be made. I wonder what the final total was for parts...and is the amount given dealer cost or retail? When an o-ring costs over $2.00 I could see this kind of "project" costing more than $46,000 retail....no?

I wonder too, if the labor rate was included? Or even the mechanics hourly pay rate. Probably not.

:scratch It's been my experience that anything with parts, fully assembled and ready to go, costs less than trying to buy all the parts separately and trying to assemble the finished product.
OM

Back in the 70's I had a friend that worked at GM for the Chevrolet division. He said the production cost of a average GM produced vehicle and the cost of the parts to build it at dealer cost was 4 times.

Back in the 70's I had a friend that worked at GM for the Chevrolet division. He said the production cost of a average GM produced vehicle and the cost of the parts to build it at dealer cost was 4 times.

I'm sure if WE tried what Max did, just the shipping cost of all those parts would add another 30% to the total.

I would guess that it was more of an advertising scheme to get the Max name brand on a higher conscience level to the BMW motorcycle community. I think it was successful and cost effective. :thumb

I'm sure if WE tried what Max did, just the shipping cost of all those parts would add another 30% to the total.

And if we purchased our parts from MAX they'd have to ship the M&Ms in a 55 gallon drum.:rolleyes

I would guess that it was more of an advertising scheme to get the Max name brand on a higher conscience level to the BMW motorcycle community. I think it was successful and cost effective. :thumb

I'll say it worked. It got us to view the video and talk about it!

Max has been pretty clear that this was a promotional effort to prompt BMW Heritage parts availability. They are very into the classic BMW parts business and have done some stunning (and stunningly expensive) restorations of bikes the shop owns. My contacts at Max in NH tell me that they don't turn much of a profit on these restorations. Having dealt with Max Stratton while he was at the NH shop, I can readily believe that he would do builds like this just because he likes to. Max undoubtedly is an excellent businessman and his shops are very well run, but he also seems to be having a lot of fun running his business.

I dunno... a swing arm is kinda big. :dunno

5 used parts:
Swing arm
rear brake lever
rear brake rod
airbox clip
tach drive

Back