• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

BTW, would someone please call my dealer and tell them they're suppose to call me about this URGENT matter. Apparently they're too busy repairing cracked fuel pumps to get on the phone regarding my potential injury or death. And here I thought I was a priority to them...that's what they told me when they made me part of their "family" as I gave them my check. What a load.

My dealership has sold approximately ten 2014 R1200RT bikes, so ten calls to make, yet they can't find time to call me. Very disappointed.

To all you who stated you wouldn't buy first couple of years of a new BMW model (and I did the same early on, but took the plunge), you win.

FWIW, I have had what I consider way more than my fair share of "lemons", or at least major purchases that were or went bad. A Suzuki DL 650 for one, A Winnebago for another. IMO it really comes down to the "strength" of the dealer.
While it's tough to figure out what the dealer "really" is like, the reason the actual manufactures use a dealer is to diversify the sale and keep customers at "some" length.
It's really nice to have faith is a dealer but that means that sometimes you have to pay a bit more.
OM

Someone on Facebook said their dealer is telling them 30+ days to even develop a solution. I vow that if my brand new motorcycle sits in my garage all summer, I will NOT buy another BMW ever.

If they expect us to stop riding a brand new $23K motorcycle because of a manufacturing defect like this, I think it's time for legal council. People warned me about BMW bikes having issues, but because of so much loyalty, I thought they were exaggerating.

Would it be silly of me to inquire about the possibility of a loaner? (Like many of you, I already have a summer trip planned and booked.) Sounds like this affects EVERY ESA equipped RT?

RickeyG

Installed my new Ericas today. Plug and play. People try to cut corners and save money but Clearwater is a first class operation. I believe you get what you pay for here. And then I get a call not to ride my RT. WTF! Can't test my new lights except in the shed. I have had suspect feelings about BMW for a while and my fears are coming true. They are too worried about profit vs quality. I believe the resell market for the new RT just hit bottom. Well at least my new lights look good.

Just received my call from Gene at Mathias BMW Cycle about the 1200RT. Maybe I should be mad but still loving the bike!!!! BTW first post.
Larry

I have a 05 RT (my third BMW) and have been wanting a new 14 really bad, but I think I may wait awhile. :dunno

Welcome to the forum!
Try and check post 23- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...r-2014-R1200RT&p=942688&viewfull=1#post942688 for a PDF file that may help.
OM
Interesting. After copying the list to Excel and playing with it, some interesting facts:
  • Only 1119 VINs are listed although elsewhere I've heard 8000 or so bikes are affected.
  • It looks like the list is actually 10 smaller lists concatenated into one. IOW, bikes made 4/30/2014 are listed on pages 3, 5, 7 , 9, 11, 13,... I suggest using the Acrobat search function to find your S/N rather than going blind trying to examine every line. Just use the last 7 (Z19nnnn) as your search string not your whole VIN because the "X" in the listed VIN is just a placeholder for the model year code. Real VINs most likely have the letter E in that position instead of X.
  • Subtracting low VIN from high VIN indicates total production of 1174 RTs from October 2013 through 4/30/2014.
  • For 3 weeks in late November/early December of last week they were building an average of 24 RTs a day. Peak production was 12/2/2013 with 37 bikes!
Without minimizing the aggravation to those affected, I'm glad to see that my in-transit bike (mfg date 5/22) is not listed. Of course there's always the possibility of another list for May-June bikes that hasn't been released yet...

Well my VIN is on the list and I don't plan to take this setback lightly. I've invested $25K in bike, TTL and extras along with two planned trips with a long one (pre-registered) to Top 'O Rockies and National. I'll not make any local club rides each weekend between now and then. Sooo... I think a cash adjustment of $100 per day (no credits only cash) lost riding would just about cover my waiting and what other legal terminology I can come up with. They will hear from my lawyer and BMW will pay.

Thanks Omega Man. Love to read the forum and have received great tips from this site. Purchased my first BMW (14 rt1200) this February and up to this point its been a great honeymoon.
Larry

Well my VIN is on the list and I don't plan to take this setback lightly. I've invested $25K in bike, TTL and extras along with two planned trips with a long one (pre-registered) to Top 'O Rockies and National. I'll not make any local club rides each weekend between now and then. Sooo... I think a cash adjustment of $100 per day (no credits only cash) lost riding would just about cover my waiting and what other legal terminology I can come up with. They will hear from my lawyer and BMW will pay.

I suspect they have an attorney or two at their disposal. Good luck.

Interesting. After copying the list to Excel and playing with it, some interesting facts:
  • Only 1119 VINs are listed although elsewhere I've heard 8000 or so bikes are affected.
  • It looks like the list is actually 10 smaller lists concatenated into one. IOW, bikes made 4/30/2014 are listed on pages 3, 5, 7 , 9, 11, 13,... I suggest using the Acrobat search function to find your S/N rather than going blind trying to examine every line. Just use the last 7 (Z19nnnn) as your search string not your whole VIN because the "X" in the listed VIN is just a placeholder for the model year code. Real VINs most likely have the letter E in that position instead of X.
  • Subtracting low VIN from high VIN indicates total production of 1174 RTs from October 2013 through 4/30/2014.
  • For 3 weeks in late November/early December of last week they were building an average of 24 RTs a day. Peak production was 12/2/2013 with 37 bikes!
Without minimizing the aggravation to those affected, I'm glad to see that my in-transit bike (mfg date 5/22) is not listed. Of course there's always the possibility of another list for May-June bikes that hasn't been released yet...

The list may be incomplete or only for American bikes. My VIN isn't on the list but my Canadian dealer called me today and told me to park her.

Recourse...

I got the bad news today too guys. I'm just wondering what recourse there is going to be. I know that some people finance the whole thing, some people pay some cash/some finance and others are just fortunate enough to pay for the bike outright. I personally don't want to have a 20-25K USD garage ornament sitting there for 1-3 months while they test, re-tool, test again, source materials, manufacture, ship world-wide, pick up bikes, fit them into North America's prime riding season service schedules, re-deliver(???), etc. What is going to happen here - any class action experts out there? I'm not saying start frivolous lawsuits, but I've already waited on this bike for a long time, now I have to sit and look at it in the garage and can't ride it either. That is some really sick torture if you ask me! I'm not advocating abandoning the marquee (still love my F800GS too), but a Cease Riding order deserves something on the backend, don't you think?

Back