• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

so what are they offering?

Vancouver BMW Ducati said that they can try to arrange for a loaner or BMW is offering $2500.00 which would likely be in the form of store credit. No refund offer listed. I'm hoping that he's wrong about it being store credit as that lessens the value considerably.

Was wondering what exactly is failing! Is it internal failure with seals etc causing the fluid to leak from the
Shock or is the shaft breaking! Are there any members out there that experienced the failure! My Dealer seems to be in the dark with any details! Anyone out there have the facts! Don Miller. 2014 RTD
BMW and the supplier are likely the only ones who know for sure! And they are not providing the engineering reports for distribution on the internet! But I am betting that there are many people on the internet who know a guy that knows a guy who heard from a friend that parks next to the BMW factory that it has nothing to do with seals leaking or shafts breaking but more to do with the special high tech fluid inside the shock reacting with rare earth metals used to give the shock magical properties. This reaction turns it into a ticking time bomb (One of these days, boom, to the moon Alice).
You heard it here first, but this is, of course, the internet.

BMW and the supplier are likely the only ones who know for sure! And they are not providing the engineering reports for distribution on the internet! But I am betting that there are many people on the internet who know a guy that knows a guy who heard from a friend that parks next to the BMW factory that it has nothing to do with seals leaking or shafts breaking but more to do with the special high tech fluid inside the shock reacting with rare earth metals used to give the shock magical properties. This reaction turns it into a ticking time bomb (One of these days, boom, to the moon Alice).
You heard it here first, but this is, of course, the internet.

The reaction triggered by fumes from gasoline with ethanol.:D

Recent Phoncon

Just got off the phone with rep who informed me that no compensation packages have been formalized and that any potential compensation is not expected to be offered until after correction has been completed. Started out pretty optimistic but losing my optimism.

Rode the K1600GT today - still love my RT though!

I was given the opportunity to ride a K1600GT today. Not a new one, but '12. Only had 3000 miles on it. Very nice ride, but I still like my '14 RT, dusty though it is! I found the GT was more turbulent at, ahem, higher speeds, than the RT - may have been my imagination. Perhaps the RT has better aerodynamics and a larger windshield? I really liked the higher position of the mirrors and the improved visibility they afforded. No vibration blurring either.

The one thing we all seem to have in common is a desire for firm timeline information. i.e. if I sit and wait for my bike to be fixed, when can we confidently expect a fix to be in place? I am bothered by the lack of any useable information coming from BMW CS. I was sent an email to call them at a specific extneion and I did so, only to get a voice mail. No return call from the message I left, but then I have low expectations from using 800 numbers, and I work for a company that is masterful at pissing off the customer. !

One question that occurred to me is would the $2500 be a taxable amount? Or would it be categorized as a price reduction/compensation? Will I get the full $2500 in other words?

The money is less important to me than the ability to ride a great bike. There was a reason I bought the RT in the first place - it is my 5th Beemer, and they have all been boxers of one sort or another. The GT is absolutely fine but did not make me swoon. I feel a certain loyalty to my RT!

Either way I go, I am riding one of the finest motorcycles available - how cool is that?! :clap :heart My grandfather used to build Brough motorcycles between the wars so there is some two wheel addiction in my blood.

PS Three thumbs up for the folks at Mortons BMW in Virginia, especially Jeff Massey and Ed Modena - just really pleased with the way they have handled me and my concerns at every juncture. No complaints with that dealership whatsoever. :clap

Ryeflyer

Last edited:
PS Three thumbs for the folks at Mortons BMW in Virginia - just really pleased with the way they have handled me and my concerns at every juncture.

Ryeflyer

Agreed, the dealers are the ones stepping up to the plate whereas BMW seems to be stumbling. Nothing but good things to say about Ride West here in Seattle, and I feel they are in just as bad of a spot as we are (if not worse; my economic wellbeing is not riding on this).

When I called the BMW hotline today, it was a bit of a surreal experience. Didn't present me with the options from the memo but rather asked what I wanted and they expressed that for BMW everything was on the table. When I asked about loaner, they said that had to be worked out with the dealer, but they would contact them to inquire. When I asked about a timeline, they said they had none, not even a ballpark estimate. When I asked about compensation, they asked what I wanted (instead of just offering the $2,500). They seemed to get a bit nervous when I said we're getting close to the midpoint of them notifying me and me being able to invoke the lemon law in my state.

As stated by many others, what a mess...

I made the leap today and took the trade in deal on a K1600GT. Good luck to those RT owners that stick it out - the RT is a GREAT motorcycle and I hope your worries are behind you after the shock is fixed.

MaxBMW was once again GREAT to deal with and they made the whole process extremely smooth - even though they confessed BMW hasn't told them yet how the whole this is supposed to work.

GT 2.jpg

I made the leap today and took the trade in deal on a K1600GT. Good luck to those RT owners that stick it out - the RT is a GREAT motorcycle and I hope your worries are behind you after the shock is fixed.

MaxBMW was once again GREAT to deal with and they made the whole process extremely smooth - even though they confessed BMW hasn't told them yet how the whole this is supposed to work.

View attachment 45565

Wow! That is a sweet looking bike! I imagine you'll enjoy it a lot. And it isn't like it's the last bike you're ever going to have. At some point down the road, if you get restless, you can always get something else.

Wow! That is a sweet looking bike! I imagine you'll enjoy it a lot. And it isn't like it's the last bike you're ever going to have. At some point down the road, if you get restless, you can always get something else.

I'd love to have an RT as well - who knows what the future brings!

Ha! Who, indeed. What does Susan think of it, and do you have it home already?

Pickup is Saturday - the bike arrived today, the paperwork isn't due until Friday. Susan likes the pictures and she knows I'm excited about it. Let's not tell her this is a "missile" ok? She thinks it is a "touring bike". :)

Hmmmm wonder if there will be deals to be had on recall-traded '14 RTs?

This has been mentioned several times in this thread, but I have the feeling most owners of the 14RT will not trade and there won't be a huge number of used 14 RTs on the market.
If BMWNA helps the shop owners with loaners, there may be a lot of other used BMWs on the market this fall or winter.

Just got off the phone with rep who informed me that no compensation packages have been formalized and that any potential compensation is not expected to be offered until after correction has been completed. Started out pretty optimistic but losing my optimism.

I saw this on another website:

2lage51.gif

Pickup is Saturday - the bike arrived today, the paperwork isn't due until Friday. Susan likes the pictures and she knows I'm excited about it. Let's not tell her this is a "missile" ok? She thinks it is a "touring bike". :)

So, how's that working out for you? :rofl

When I asked about compensation, they asked what I wanted (instead of just offering the $2,500).

Hmmm.....what multiple of 2500 would you like? If they want to play games, see how far above 2500 they are willing to go.

Hmmm.....what multiple of 2500 would you like? If they want to play games, see how far above 2500 they are willing to go.

I've asked them simply to make me whole including model specific farkles and all taxes / fees. For those left stranded somewhere, needing to fly back home, reservation fees lost, ect., I'd be asking for that too. I would not ask them to pay off the mortgage.

Back