• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW customers are known as fussy customers

Well, snow predicted so no riding for me for a few days. Ran across this article, it is cars but I think it applies to the motorcycle side too.

http://wardsauto.com/dealer/bmw-sho...m=email&elq2=d9d4243d4c6d4e1283a0cb8f38be01b7

Rod

While dropping my 13-yo BMW car off for an airbag recall last summer, I heard this same story line at the service window of my local dealership. I've been going there for years for BMW & Toyota service. In the future, when I drop off my 13+ yo BMW, I'll get drive thru, concierge service.

I asked if I could drop my car off at the Toyota service window......

There is no shortage of folks who think the fact they have more money than others somehow makes them special. Especially the trust fund babies and other folks who got it mostly from daddy or mommy.

I have had at least one BMW cage in my garage since 2003 and that one is still there - at 290,000 Km. I do enjoy the service and attention to detail that the dealership provides. I can talk to the mechanic directly about what service is to be performed and they do know what their business and strive to continuously improve. I only do minor maintenance on vehicles now since my 2003 is the last one that my OBD II diagnostic code reader is useful for. So far all of my BMW cages have performed extremely well and have been reasonably (not perfect by any means) reliable. Am I fussy with my BMW cagers? Absolutely. But so am I with my motorcycle.

The multi brand motorcycle & Motorrad Dealer in my city is just okay. I take complex and non warranty stuff to a private shop since the owner has more licensed & trained techs than the official dealership does although, his shop rates are very high but does routinely give discounts as a reward for my repeat business.

While dropping my 13-yo BMW car off for an airbag recall last summer, I heard this same story line at the service window of my local dealership. I've been going there for years for BMW & Toyota service. In the future, when I drop off my 13+ yo BMW, I'll get drive thru, concierge service.

I asked if I could drop my car off at the Toyota service window......

It all depends on where you live...apparently. Few years ago, new 5 Series with 500 miles refused to go in gear, auto stick would move back and forth but no gear placement. Towed to local BMW/Dodge dealer, next day at pickup a "mechanic" comes out, with Dodge shirt on, tells me shift linkage separated..."However, I got it back together and double zip tied it to make sure it stays." Not sure this is level of BMW Customer Service most owners expect...certainly not me...LOL.

Poor customer service is everywhere and it's pretty annoying.

It's nice to think that one could get a little better service by paying a little more.

Still, you need to treat your service provider well, too.

BMW chooses to be in the business to serve those paying a little more and produces vehicles at the higher end of the spectrum. In the automotive world worldwide, BMW is pretty special and has a very good reputation.

As for motorcycles, IMHO the best we can do is have combined BMW motorcycle/BMW car dealers. The worst, IMHO, is BMW combined with other brand motorcycles, where, unless they're Ducati or MV Agusta, it will be more about lowest price and that's not a pleasant place to do business most of the time.

In any event, the notion that life is a self-fulfilling prophecy continues to apply wherever I look--if you expect poor service, you'll get it.

There is no shortage of folks who think the fact they have more money than others somehow makes them special. Especially the trust fund babies and other folks who got it mostly from daddy or mommy.

Truer words are rarely spoken.

It all depends on where you live...apparently. Few years ago, new 5 Series with 500 miles refused to go in gear, auto stick would move back and forth but no gear placement. Towed to local BMW/Dodge dealer, next day at pickup a "mechanic" comes out, with Dodge shirt on, tells me shift linkage separated..."However, I got it back together and double zip tied it to make sure it stays." Not sure this is level of BMW Customer Service most owners expect...certainly not me...LOL.

They were BMW ZipTies...........:)

My local dealer has a good group of BMW and Toyota mechanics. But as you say, that's hit-or-miss depending on the dealership. In addition, the service department experience has little to due with the sales department experience.

But to Mr. Glaves comment, some people are a real sucker for being called "special" and are willing to spend good money for it......Sadly

Meh, it sounds like they are catering to those who want to be catered to. Back in the day :gerg it was tough for many to drive a luxury car. With today's financing and leasing- anyone can.
Giving the customer what they want is good business although customer wants have seemed to change......along with expectations.
OM

If you care about riding and your machine - all m/c riders are fussy customers. No need to single out BMW owners. :)

Neither 5 series nor the 6 BMW bikes see dealerships much but I have no complaints re service. Bike dealership respects our time and delivers on schedule- now its expanded and gone multibrand (3 or 4 that I mostly forget) so no longer carries many accessories but at least BMW mechanics and service manager are same.

P

As for motorcycles, IMHO the best we can do is have combined BMW motorcycle/BMW car dealers. The worst, IMHO, is BMW combined with other brand motorcycles, where, unless they're Ducati or MV Agusta, it will be more about lowest price and that's not a pleasant place to do business most of the time.

I have heard nothing good about BMW MC and Car combined dealerships, ever, anywhere. On the other hand I know of a couple of BMW-Triumph dealerships that are excellent and even two BMW-Harley dealerships that have provided me excellent service while on the road.

I have been riding BMW MC since 1975. I have lost track of how many BMW MC dealers I have had. But, the number is quite high. The best dealers are the 1-2 man shops. They bend over backwards to make me happy. The larger the dealer is, the less satisfied I am with them. But, the absolutely worst dealers were the BMW motorcycle / car dealers.

BMW car owners and MC owners have the complete opposite mindset. If a BMW car dealer tells the customer that it will cost $1,000 to replace their "muffler bearing", the owner just hands over the black AMEX card without a second thought that maybe they are getting screwed. If it fixes the problem with their car, they don't care if they are begin screwed. But, if a BMW motorcycle dealer offers the MC owner 50% off an oil change, the owner turns down the offer because they can fix it themselves. For years, BMWNA has been annoyed that BMW MC owners are not like BMW car owners. They keep trying to "fix" BMW MC owners. This is usually how BMW motorcycle / car dealers are created.

I have been riding BMW MC since 1975. I have lost track of how many BMW MC dealers I have had. But, the number is quite high. The best dealers are the 1-2 man shops. They bend over backwards to make me happy. The larger the dealer is, the less satisfied I am with them. But, the absolutely worst dealers were the BMW motorcycle / car dealers.

BMW car owners and MC owners have the complete opposite mindset. If a BMW car dealer tells the customer that it will cost $1,000 to replace their "muffler bearing", the owner just hands over the black AMEX card without a second thought that maybe they are getting screwed. If it fixes the problem with their car, they don't care if they are begin screwed. But, if a BMW motorcycle dealer offers the MC owner 50% off an oil change, the owner turns down the offer because they can fix it themselves. For years, BMWNA has been annoyed that BMW MC owners are not like BMW car owners. They keep trying to "fix" BMW MC owners. This is usually how BMW motorcycle / car dealers are created.

By virtue of my post-retirement vocation, I'm in a unique niche where I mingle with BMW car-owners and motorcyclists by the hundreds every year, either as clients, students of MSF or driving schools I instruct or just fun (auto-cross) events.

By and large, very nice individuals, except those of course who behave as if wealth also magically 'endowed them with great intelligence and class.' Good luck with that.

As with any generalization, 23217, there will be some exceptions, but for the most part, your assessment is spot on. :thumb

I've stayed in hotels that cost as little as $35 for a night and I've stayed in rooms that were well past $400 a night. My expectations for perks and services in the low cost hotel is limited, but I appreciate any that are provided. As the rate climbs, my expectations for service go up accordingly and at a premium rate in a luxury hotel, I have high expectations of the quality of the services and amenities provided.

Same goes for the dealership. If I choose to drive an economy brand auto, I expect good service from the dealership, but few perks. Having chosen to buy a car that costs what an average BMW does today, I expect the level of dealership service to reflect that. It's just part of the premium brand price; the price of the car is not just for the hardware.

I am not fussy, I just want things done right.

So I do it all myself to my standard and expectations.
Bikes, cars, HVAC, plumbing, electrical...and aircraft.

The bonus is I do not have to get annoyed at shops.
The money is not a factor.

I have dealt with both small and large BMW shops. My current local shop is the original Max shop in North Hampton. I understand that Max is now the largest group of BMW dealers in the US, but I have to say that Max runs a very good dealership.

In our combined 1.9 million miles of riding BMW motorcycles Voni and I have seldom had poor service from a dealership. We enjoy excellent service from several dealerships we do not hesitate to visit in our travels. Engle Motors in Kansas City is as good as they get. We have used Engles as out primary dealership since 1984 and still do even if they are over 1,000 miles away. Formerly "Gina's" in Iowa bCity has been excellent. The combined BMWand /Harley dealership in Grand Junction. Colorado has been good for us, the dealersip in Clarkston, Washington has too, with an interesting twist.

A few years ago I needed a tire for a K75 and stopped at the Clarkston dealership. I was greeted at the parts counter by a snot-nosed kid. No tire in stock, unwilling to consider ordering one, please go away and leave me alone with my smart phone please. I went on to Spokane with a bad taste in my nouth. I wrote about this in my ON column.

Then a year later I wandered back in looking for a tire. I was met at the door by a salesman. He led me to the parts counter. They had a tire. Next stop the service manager. He was stressed out - too much to do, too little time, but to mount a tire, come right on in. I told him late afternoon or next morning worked. OK Got the service pronto. A great dealership after the fiasco the previous year. They are on my ++ list now too. There are a couple of all-brands shops I also go to when necessary. All in all I find good service, not bad service.

Back