• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW and bugs?

stevenrankin

So today I took my 335i BMW convertible for a drive out to my friend's airhead shop to drop off a part. Rain showers were on and off so the top goes up easy compared to rain gear on the bike, that aside, I noticed something I find interesting between my gone RS, my RT and the 335i, bugs! What in the world causes nearly every bug in a 100 mile radius to kill themselves on the windscreens and windshield of my BMW vehicles? I don't have the same issue with my Mazda or Subaru cars. I see a lot of shiny Harley riders wearing open face helmets that don't seem to use gallons of Bug slick on their bikes or helmets.

So BMW equals Bugs Must ??? Wallop? Have a great ride, despite the bugs. St.

They're so fascinated and impressed by our vehicles that they want a closer look, can't blame 'em.
Or is it the smell? 🐝🐞🪰🦟
They may be high in protein, but they're bitter; just keep your mouth closed...😮

Amazingly true I think… Just came back from a lap around Lake Okeechobee and had to clean the bike and helmet as those pesky love-bugs are back too and always hit smack dab in the middle of the face and wind shields…:bluduh

If I'm just starting a long ride, I probably have to go thru oil fields, farmland and the like.
Trick: I'll use painter's tape to hold a large section of ordinary cellophane/plastic wrap (from a roll) on to my windshield and/or headlight. It looks a bit goofy for a couple of hours, if it lasts that long (the wind will blow it off), but I don't have to wipe down the front that evening...

LOL, one of the fellows now gone I rode with used to do the cellophane thing on his bike. It worked great. Still I wonder why most of the Harley guys I see don't have tons of bugs splattered on their bikes? Maybe most of them don't ride long enough to collect the bugs?
BMW, Bugs Must Wait? St.

LOL There is no escaping bugs on my HD or my BMW. The difference is where they end up. The batwing fairing collects them on the HD, and my face shield collects them on the RS.

Back