• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bing Idle Mixture Screw o ring install hack

gtgt_bangbang

was driving me crazy (true, not a long trip ) to get those tiny orings on the Idle Mixture screw 13 11 1 335 302

Kind of hard to believe the parts fiche have it right ,
max calls for a 3,2X1,8 for both
Idle Jet ( easy fit) and the Mix screw (got to be kiddin... fillister head on one side and sharp threads from the other direction, both sides are ~7mm OD.
BMW R100S bing oring - 2.jpeg

I deburred and chamfered the edges of screw head to try to slip the ring over , but no love,
and definately easy to scratch the oring on the screw driver slot, even cleaned & smoothed.
Recommed working on a clean white floor after playing " Find The Oring" acouple times trying to make it right.
No advantage to starting from thread end except harder to lose the ring

So I ended up rolling the O-ring onto a 1/8 pin punch, let it ( and me ) relax little while,

Rolled the oring from the pin punch to a hollow hole punch ( 5/16 was really too large but closest I had that fit over the screw head,
there are probably better tube sizes available for the 2nd transfer if you are the Plan Ahead type )

then rolled the oring off the hole punch onto the Idle Mix Screw ,
easy breazy.

Hard to believe the oring stretched that far , but these are fresh and a loupe inspection doesn't show any slices or scars.
BMW R100S bing oring - 1.jpeg

The easiest fix I’ve found is to put a short length of heat shrink tubing on the screw, long enough to cover the threads and extend past the pointed end. When heated, the end hanging off the screw shrinks to a small point and the 0-ring can be slipped on and pushed up to the groove. Strip off the heat shrink and Bob’s your uncle.

Best,
DeVern

well if you want to do it the easy way , got to admit thats the better idea
not very GT of you but ...

now if I could only get the oring back off, I'd try the shrink tube gongfu

Last edited:
Back