• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike for a tour of the Alps

Riders in Europe are a different breed. Even more-so in the Alps. They routinely do things that would get you killed (or shot at) in the states. What astounded my riding buddy and me the most was riders centerline passes against oncoming traffic! They think nothing of riding up the centerline against oncoming traffic, on two-lane highways to pass slower traffic. Apparently the oncoming traffic thinks nothing of it either. As a US rider, you have to see it to believe it. Imagine trying that in the states!

Riders in Europe are a different breed. Even more-so in the Alps. They routinely do things that would get you killed (or shot at) in the states. What astounded my riding buddy and me the most was riders centerline passes against oncoming traffic! They think nothing of riding up the centerline against oncoming traffic, on two-lane highways to pass slower traffic. Apparently the oncoming traffic thinks nothing of it either. As a US rider, you have to see it to believe it. Imagine trying that in the states!

So let me add to this conversation - since I have never ridden in the Alps, just Spain - what size bikes do European riders predominately ride in the Alps?

Do you ever ride with the Appalachian BMW Riders? I try to get out almost every Wednesday with them.

One of these days the stars will align, although I am not really big on group rides.

I did hang out with folks a little more back when it was the Asheville club… I was a charter member. I wrote a story about the new Eurosports Asheville for the BMW ON a while back. The pic below is from when Thomas and Justin were still building the dealership and Thomas still owned 12 Bones.

Bet I pestered BMW to open a dealership in Asheville for 20+ years!

i-shZQwVC-X2.jpg

So let me add to this conversation - since I have never ridden in the Alps, just Spain - what size bikes do European riders predominately ride in the Alps?

Everything from Vespas to some of the baddest-assed motorcycles you’ve ever laid eyes on. Most Europeans need to ride a ways to get to the Alps so they tend to have bigger bikes. There is even a brisk business in shipping bikes around for riding vacations.

I am signed up for a 14 day Beach, classic Alpine tour, my first. I am really excited about the tour, but totally locked up on which bike to request. I have about 10,000 miles in the mountains of Western North Carolina on my R1250GS. It is a standard bike with a low seat and has been a great bike. However she is a big girl, and though I’ve never had an issue while riding I have dropped her four times in gravel parking lots and sketchy pull-offs. Rob thinks something smaller might be more appropriate.

So the two top candidates are an F750GS or an R1250R. The 750GS would have a good seat height, be much lighter, and has ergonomics that I am used to. However the power is a question and people have mentioned that it is a bit top heavy. The 1250R will have a very familiar power train, and a nice low seat. However it is no lightweight, and provides no wind protection. I am leaning towards the 750GS, but the 1250R is the one that I keep staring at.

I know many of you have done this tour, what was your experience?

I just returned from a 2 week tour of southern Italy. We rented a factory lowered R1250GS, I am 5' 7" 155lbs fully geared. I ride a R1200RT at home with a low seat but did not go that route for the tour because I wanted a lighter bike. The Lowered GS was perfect. Sits the about same height as the Standard RT but the seat is narrower so ground reach is actually better. The new suspension system allowed for lowering the bike around towns and cities but jacking it up when headed thru the fun roads. I looked at the 750 and 850 but they weigh almost as much as the 1250 and do not offer the same 2 up comfort of the 1250 GS.

Bad news is now that I spent two weeks on it I want to trade in my 2016 R1200RT

Now you have me thinking about a 1250GS. There is a part of me that thinks maybe a 1250GS might be the right bike since I have so many miles in the mountains on one. Parking lots be damned! Mine has a low seat with standard suspension. That combination works well for me. Rob does not have any with a low suspension or a low seat. An option would be to ship my low seat to Europe, and ship it back when I am done.

Saturday morning I went out for a group ride on a tight, steep road leading up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was cold and the road was still wet from the night rain, definitely sketchy conditions. In these conditions my 1250GS was not just secure and stable, but fun. So I came to the conclusion that this is the bike I enjoy riding and am comfortable with, so parking lots be dammed, this is what I want to tour the Alps with. I also think two days of off-road training at the BMW Riding Academy on a 1250GS should give me an extra dose of confidence with the bike. I can’t wait till June.

Thanks for the input, I enjoyed the conversation.

Saturday morning I went out for a group ride on a tight, steep road leading up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was cold and the road was still wet from the night rain, definitely sketchy conditions. In these conditions my 1250GS was not just secure and stable, but fun. So I came to the conclusion that this is the bike I enjoy riding and am comfortable with, so parking lots be dammed, this is what I want to tour the Alps with. I also think two days of off-road training at the BMW Riding Academy on a 1250GS should give me an extra dose of confidence with the bike. I can’t wait till June.

Thanks for the input, I enjoyed the conversation.

Sounds like a both are wise decisions, perhaps I will see you at the training. I keep wanting to go.

Back