• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike for a tour of the Alps

I am signed up for a 14 day Beach, classic Alpine tour, my first. I am really excited about the tour, but totally locked up on which bike to request. I have about 10,000 miles in the mountains of Western North Carolina on my R1250GS. It is a standard bike with a low seat and has been a great bike. However she is a big girl, and though I’ve never had an issue while riding I have dropped her four times in gravel parking lots and sketchy pull-offs. Rob thinks something smaller might be more appropriate.

So the two top candidates are an F750GS or an R1250R. The 750GS would have a good seat height, be much lighter, and has ergonomics that I am used to. However the power is a question and people have mentioned that it is a bit top heavy. The 1250R will have a very familiar power train, and a nice low seat. However it is no lightweight, and provides no wind protection. I am leaning towards the 750GS, but the 1250R is the one that I keep staring at.

I know many of you have done this tour, what was your experience?

I spent 8 days riding the Alps this summer on a rented R1250GS. It was a great bike for that application! A few years ago I spent 18 days in SE Europe on a rented F800GS, which was also a great bike for that ride. But yes, both are tall bikes. My recommendation is that if you are familiar with the 1250 platform, go with the R1250R. It will give you a lower seat height to help with parking lot issues but have more the same feel and power characteristics as your own R1250GS—and you’ll appreciate that on the mountain passes.

To me, the F750GS feels top heavy, and if you did happen to drop it in a parking lot it goes completely flat down and makes for a heavy lift when compared with a big R-bike resting on one cylinder.

I’d also recommend buying the upgraded insurance on the bike. That eliminates one extra worry and let’s you better enjoy the ride experience.

Enjoy the ride and take a lot of photos!

Best,
DeVern

EDIT: by BMW’s specs there is 34lbs difference in weight between the F750GS and R1250R, which isn’t really much. What the specs can’t tell you is where that weight difference is located nor how it affects the feel of the bike. Both bikes have more than sufficient power for riding the Alps so it really boils down to which you’d be more comfortable on or with, or the $$ difference between the two rentals. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Both bikes are fine but smaller/lighter is better in the tight & steep mountain switchbacks common in the Alps.

Personally I would go with the F750GS. Plus, the extra suspension travel will be more comfortable on some of the "Rob roads" you no doubt will be riding .... :evil

i-mKTHSTV-X3.jpg

i-26bXBHN-XL.jpg

I agree on a smaller, lighter motorcycle. You'll be touring in the mountains not motoring on the autobahn.

Joe

At 85(ish) horses, the F800 has plenty of power.

I did Pikes Peak & Mt. Evans with a whopping 61(ish) horses. It may have been a little sluggish in the high speed stuff, but it had the power to do everything I asked of it (even hours of questionable speeds on interstate "middle of nowhere").

PostingCL2.jpg

Thanks for the input. I know it is focused on mountain passes, but I assume there must be open roads to connect between the passes? So some wind protection would be desirable? I see some videos through the Alps in the summer where there is still snow on the side of the road, and others where it is over 100 degrees every day.

Thanks for the input. I know it is focused on mountain passes, but I assume there must be open roads to connect between the passes? So some wind protection would be desirable? I see some videos through the Alps in the summer where there is still snow on the side of the road, and others where it is over 100 degrees every day.

I ride a Honda CB500X in Europe (80+mpg is nice when gas is $8+/gallon and you can lanesplit).

Ian_Stelvio-X2.jpg

The distances you'll ride "in between the good parts," where wind protection is a consideration, will be minimal.

There is, as you've noted, a LOT of variability in the weather, so layering is key. You want a tight technical layer (or merino wool) next to your skin, a thin "shirt" and depending on your riding suit, either a heated jacket under it or a wind/waterproof shell over it. I never travel without a heated jacket, but depending on the rental bike you choose, it can be difficult to connect to the battery. 1250R is easier.) If you don't take a heated jacket, bring an insulation layer, e.g. a thin down jacket. You will also want a throat collar that is wind-proof. Schampa is an excellent brand. The wind (and water) on your throat at high elevations is probably your greatest comfort risk.

You'll also want glove options. I have thin glove liners, Klim Inversion windproof gloves, a pair of insulated gloves and Aerostich Triple-digit glove covers (indispensable, imo).

Waterproof boots are a plus.

Check out this video, which includes riding outside of the Alps... toward the end I ride up over the Grossglockner Pass from south to north, in June. There was a lot of snow.

Last edited:
I agree on a smaller, lighter motorcycle. You'll be touring in the mountains not motoring on the autobahn.
Joe
I concur with Joe & Visian for your intro to das Alps! If U can manage a R12GS, don’t sweat a 750GS. :thumb

Have some clothing for any occasion, cause U will certainly get a taste of everything (at some point).
Here’s Mrs-HSV at a summit's coffee stop near Bagolino, IT - coffee was welcome!
Summit-in-Itally.jpeg

“Be Prepared,” as any Boy Scout will remind you. The GS will do everything you’ll need it to do! :german
Think smaller for an Alpine ADVenture. I just booked an F750GS for Karen and another F850GS for our May trip to Austria.
Have Fun and make some new friends.

We got a signed copy of John Hermann’s The Alps and Corsica. Highly recommended for your library.

He dared me to ride the 17 Passes in one day; me & Karen did it together on our first Euro trip! - Now it’s RIP to the King of the Alps...
https://www.hpb.com/products/motorcycle-journeys-through-the-alps-and-corsica-9781884313325

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —--&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 F650GS-twin - '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
’08 CRF230L —--— ’09 KLX250S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

So the two top candidates are an F750GS or an R1250R. The 750GS would have a good seat height, be much lighter, and has ergonomics that I am used to. However the power is a question and people have mentioned that it is a bit top heavy. The 1250R will have a very familiar power train, and a nice low seat. However it is no lightweight, and provides no wind protection. I am leaning towards the 750GS, but the 1250R is the one that I keep staring at.

I've never ridden a F750 and only did a short ride on a R1200R in warm weather, so I have no first hand knowledge on how they compare.
The R1200/1250R has a nice quick handling feel and I like the quiet no buffeting ride of the R.
Weight difference is only 34 pounds.
In this picture the 750 does not look like it has much more wind protection compared to the R.
2023-BMW-F750GS4.jpg

There is, as you've noted, a LOT of variability in the weather, so layering is key. You want a tight technical layer (or merino wool) next to your skin, a thin "shirt" and depending on your riding suit, either a heated jacket under it or a wind/waterproof shell over it. I never travel without a heated jacket, but depending on the rental bike you choose, it can be difficult to connect to the battery. 1250R is easier.)

Heated gear is good advice and as you mention if Rick needs to add a pigtail direct to the battery it only takes 5 minutes or so on the R1250R.
Anyone know if the tour company will allow this?
Anyone know how difficult it is to add a pigtail to the 750 battery?

Rick if you have a heated jacket I would take a battery pigtail with you.

It really depends on how comfortable you are with a heavy bike. On my Alps trip a couple of year ago, I rented a Triumph 850 with all the luggage, and even that was a little top heavy for me, but I'm closing in on 70, so.... I almost dropped it on Stelvio Pass when several bicyclists were slowly working their way up... I was going down and had to stop mid-hairpin! :eek The extra power of a larger bike is wasted in the Alps, in my opinion, especially if you are riding solo. Plus the smaller bike is always less expensive to rent. Ether way, you will love it. I hope to get back over there in 2023.

i am in the midst of signing up for a tour in September with a small outfit - Moto-Charlie. I spent last night going thru the decision making. :)

I bought a F750 GS in 2019 when they came out. It was my first foray into BMW and was coming from pretty far down market- Honda NC700x and a DR650 before that. I was blown away by how responsive and fun the F750 was. Really loved the bike but after two years and where I was in my life I decided it was time to get a big GS with the boxer engine and its suspension. Hence the 2017 R1200GS.

Point is I did find the F750 top heavy off pavement (forest service roads, nothing too knarly) but on road...wheee! There is no doubt you will feel it is a bit down on power compared to the 1200/1250. I bet you will only really notice overtaking going uphill. Just drop a gear from what you would have done with the big boy.

Nice video. Your trip makes my 14 day ride look like an overnighter!

This is probably the main reason I shipped a bike over to store at KnopfTours Motorradreisen.

Rentals and guided tours are nice because they’re almost always near-new motos, you get support and good insight into roads and places to stay… turnkey… but they are expensive (worth it) but not long enough.

That, and I tend to ride far off the beaten path and like to spend the time getting to know the real people in the countries I am visiting.

For instance, you could talk me into moving to Slovenia *any* day, and it was not even on my radar prior to riding there.

Glad you enjoyed the video!

Ian

Anyone know how difficult it is to add a pigtail to the 750 battery?
Beach’s hooked mine up for me, it was their preference for me not to work on the bikes that they themselves leased.

It was a 1200GS wet head, so the connection was very easy.

Good to know that the F750 is also accessible.

Point is I did find the F750 top heavy off pavement (forest service roads, nothing too knarly) but on road...wheee! There is no doubt you will feel it is a bit down on power compared to the 1200/1250. I bet you will only really notice overtaking going uphill. Just drop a gear from what you would have done with the big boy.

Two major points for the OP:

- Tight/steep switchbacks… there is a technique for riding them. If you’re not aware, ask Rob Beach to show you. That dude can ride!

- Overtaking… if you’re behind a big Mercedes, Audi or Porsche, expect them to drop the hammer when you try to pass. It’s a race, don’t you know? And watch out for turbocharged VW vans with Subaru motors, damhikt!

I was going to ship my HP2 Enduro over, which is probably the perfect bike for the Alps… but I am glad I didn’t because I would have been tempted to issue paybacks to some of the more “friendly” local drivers and riders… :evil

I have seen the videos with the tight switchbacks, so I know what you mean. I decided to practice so I went out to Green River Cove Rd. near Saluda which has about the tightest switchbacks in my area. I found that if I counter leaned the bike, like I do on gravel, I could make the turns without a problem. I look forward to hearing Rob's suggestions on this.

Reading your responses it sounds like both bikes would be fine on the road, but how about the parking lot? If you are on a gravel lot with lots of cross slope, which one is easier to maneuver around? One has a lower center of gravity, but one is about 30 lbs. lighter.

This is definitely a 1% problem :)

I have seen the videos with the tight switchbacks, so I know what you mean. I decided to practice so I went out to Green River Cove Rd. near Saluda which has about the tightest switchbacks in my area. I found that if I counter leaned the bike, like I do on gravel, I could make the turns without a problem. I look forward to hearing Rob's suggestions on this.

Reading your responses it sounds like both bikes would be fine on the road, but how about the parking lot? If you are on a gravel lot with lots of cross slope, which one is easier to maneuver around? One has a lower center of gravity, but one is about 30 lbs. lighter.

This is definitely a 1% problem :)

Ha, I just now realized that you live right near me, and yes, Green River is a great place to practice for the Alps! I would also suggest multiple passes up and NC9 and NC80 and NC151... and US276, 178, NC215... you get my drift.

First, I absolutely suck at training and explaining, and for me parking lot skills are more about weight of the bike, but you're on the right track with how you counter steer and counter-weight. You also need to practice looking around the corner, which involves really tight neck turns looking up or down the turn. See the image below, you can see that my butt is on the left side of the bike (outside of the turn) and what you can't see is me countersteering.

Tie that in with your line. If you're entering a tight uphill right hander, look up the hill *hard* to your right, and if nobody is coming down the hill, swing wide into the left lane to reduce the tightness (increase the radius) of your turn. In the image below, look how far left in the lane I am, I have already looked up the hill and eyeing my line back into the right "lane" (there often is no line) to apex the turn properly.

Of course, this is all while eyeballing your mirrors to make sure nobody behind you is about to put a stinky pass on you! (Witness the scooters behind me whole nailed my butt on the next straight!) :ha

Be careful, there are a lot of drivers and riders in the Alps that are 1) very good and 2) hauling ass. I've seen AWD Mercedes, Porsches and Audis that have enough power to wrinkle the pavement... and they are using it.

i-j6zJ5rD-X2.jpg

ps -> plug for the BMW Performance Center... they offer a really nice luxo-training/tour in this very area, starting out of Spartanburg, SC. I keep telling them they need to offer a specific training course for Alpine riding, but this is as close as they get. The tour is more ADV oriented but there are puh-lenty of pave mountain twisties.

Do you ever ride with the Appalachian BMW Riders? I try to get out almost every Wednesday with them.

As far as The BMW Riding Academy, I have not done any road courses, but I have done their one day off road course, and am signed up for their two day off road course in January. Both on an R1250GS. Working the bike off road certainly contributes to my confidence on road.

Back