• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Big Sur January 07

J

JWHITE518

I went on a little two-day trip the first weekend of the year. My wife and daughter were in Iowa visiting her parents, and I was a bachelor. It was tough being alone during the week, but I sure did take advantage of the weekend time. Tossed a few clothes in the saddlebag, powered up the Star Traxx, and hit the road.

I rode the big roads down to Monterey, then connected with Highway 1 south of Carmel. Here's an indication that I was in for a good ride.

122620166-L.jpg

There are two landmark bridges built in 1932. I think this one is the Bixby Bridge.

122620238-L.jpg

The weather was gorgeous. Clear skies, blue water, a little cool but not uncomfortable. I could have stopped every mile for beautiful shots of the coast. Here is a sampling of what I saw.

122621515-L.jpg

122620269-L.jpg

122620299-L.jpg

I liked this vista with the mountains fading off into the mist. Unfortunately the photo doesn't really capture the sight. If I were better with Photoshop Elements I could darken the background and lighten the foreground. Help anyone?

122620331-L.jpg

Here's a similar view but looking the other direction. Exposure is better.

122620359-L.jpg

I stopped in Cambria for lunch at a good deli. The town was a little crowded but everyone was friendly and enjoying the beautiful day. Back on the bike, the coast highway merged into US 101. I rode south in traffic for awhile. Then I turned east on CA 166. This starts out as a really sweet canyon road loaded with fourth gear turns and plenty of passing opportunities. Then it opens up into a farming valley. That's where I stopped for this photo.

122620392-L.jpg

At CA 33 I hung a right and rode south to Ojai. The northern part of the road is farmland. Here's an orchard where I stopped to put on my gear for the snowy pass ahead.

122620425-L.jpg

The road narrowed and climbed. At the top there was a light dusting of the white stuff on the side of the road, and a little sand in the corners, but nothing to be worried about. I was having too much fun to stop and photograph it. Then the road dropped down into the resort town of Ojai. This was the southernmost point of the trip.

I went to visit the Widder factory, even though I knew it was closed. It had been a checkpoint in the 99 Iron Butt Rally, and Pat Widder is a great supporter of LD riding. I peeked in the window and looked at the newest styles of heated gloves on a shelf. He has a license plated mounted on the wall: WYB COLD.

122620457-L.jpg

I headed back to the coast along Lake Casitas. The sun was just setting as I reached the ocean. I got back on the freeway and rode north to San Luis Obispo. I checked out their cool downtown area, which was lively on Saturday night. Had a really good dinner at Mo's Barbeque. Saw a movie (For Your Consideration, save your money.) Slept at the perfectly adequate Motel 6. Here's my route for the day. It looks like a buttonhook.

122705599-L.jpg

Next morning, same beautiful weather, and not as cold. I had originally planned to take CA 25 back home. But the coastal route had impressed me so much yesterday, both in beauty and in riding joys, that I decided to reverse my steps. So from SLO I headed back to the coast. This time I stopped at Morro Bay to get some photos of Morro Rock. Yeah, it's a tourist place but hey, I was a tourist. Here's an arty shot of the little harbor. I liked the name of the boat - Morning Light.

122620484-L.jpg

Couple more shots. A friendly local took the one of me.

122620506-L.jpg

122620527-L.jpg

Continuing on up the coast, I stopped one last time near San Simeon. This little turnout was very close to the water. The seagull on the garbage can never moved, even though I parked quite close to him.

122620559-L.jpg

Here's a lovely shot of a great blue heron. It was the last shot on the roll (gasp! film!)

122620619-L.jpg

It's a good thing that I was out of film because I was able to concentrate on the road for the rest of the trip. That 74 miles of curvy roads from the first photo? Yeeee-haaaaa! :thumb

This time I decided to stay on Highway 1 up to Santa Cruz, then take Highway 17 over the mountains to San Jose. That was kind of a dumb move because Highway 17 sucks. So does Highway 1 north of Monterey - it's just four lanes of traffic through commercial farmland. The best part was actually when I got stuck in road construction in Soquel (just south of Santa Cruz. Roadwork on Sunday?) Anyway, my GPS found a detour called Soquel San Jose Road, which was a twisty little bypass. Sweet banked curves near the top, but it's residential so you have to be careful.

Here's the map of my route home. If you're ever in California, ride the Big Sur Coast.

122709725-L.jpg

Nice report and gorgeous pictures Jerry! I really want to get back to CA and ride the coast sometime.

Congrats on your SmugMug account too.

Film? Pretty cool. I enjoyed these nice shots and a very thorough report. Thanks for having us along.

Jerry,
Thanks for the report!! I also did what began as a Big Sur ride on Monday January 1. Before I knew it, I was at Hearst Castle!!

I called my wife (who was bopping around in Monterey for the day), told her where I was at and told her that I wasn't going to turn around and ride back up the coast because the sun was going to go down in an hour and I didn't want to ride that stretch of road in the dark.

I rode through Cambria, then East on Highway 46 to Paso Robles. Upon reaching Highway 101, I headed North toward Salinas. The moon was nearly full and very bright, bright enough to cast a shadow of me and my bike on the roadway in the fast lane.

I ended up meeting my wife in Salinas where we had dinner at Margie's Diner, then filled up the RT and headed for home.

All in all a FABULOUS day of riding. 340 miles total - not an Iron Butt but certainly a sweet ride to begin the year.

May all of YOUR riding days be good ones in 2007. Remember, dress for the fall, NOT the ride!!

Back