• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Big Agnes tent report

the Wizard of Oz
Heading out by myself again next week. So...

I just bought the BA Wyoming Trail 2. IMHO, comparable to the Redverz Solo, but (at REI) more than $200 cheaper. I've only just set it up in the yard, But I'm digging the huge vestibule, and the door/awning that you can unzip and hold up with almost any tent pole type of standards for added shelter/shade. W/o the rain fly/ big vestibule, the small sleeping section looks very meshy and comfy in the heat, or for "stargazing." The 2-person sleeping area is snug for 2, but generous for one, and has another small vestibule and door on that end.

It needs some extra line for tie-downs and stake-outs ( several loops, and a couple lines on each window are provided), to keep the rain fly/vestibule away from the main body of the tent, but that's like what? a dollar, or grab a couple long bungees from the garage. It's kinda big; 24x 8 packed. Sorry. i forget the weight...ok i looked. about 10 lbs.

I wanted room enough to stand...almost, for me at 5'10" but mostly I wanted a place to sit, cook, just be out of the rain or blazing sun; someplace to watch the world go by. I think I got it.

I am completely unconnected to any of the companies mentioned above. I have no interest in them, nor do I stand to profit in any way from this "revue."

More here:https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/wyomingtrail22015

and here:https://youtu.be/9BRuVeL4I1k

Apparently very popular, Big Agnes is showing it as out-of-stock. Need to study the instructions. For one night stands, a small tent-only fly and footprint would be handy (don't always need a garage) and I'm not sure that is an option.

REI has it, and on sale. As for the quickie, I believe, tho i haven't tried it yet, that the rainfly portion can be set up w/o the sleeping bay. But even for a first-time set-up and with teeny tiny semi-confusing instructions that didn't exactly match the parts I actually have..e.g the "yellow pole" is simply another pole, aluminum in color. Anyway for a first time, and once I stopped searching for the yellow pole, the whole thing went up fairly quickly, I thought. I guess the sleeping area adds a little time to the process, but not much. But I suppose one could then decide whether or not to incorporate the footprint.

But it's really only stake it out, three poles, a half dozen clips that attach to the poles, and you're done, unless you want to tie out the rainfly further at the four spots provided.

More here:https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/wyomingtrail22015

and here:https://youtu.be/9BRuVeL4I1k

For one night stands, a small tent-only fly and footprint would be handy (don't always need a garage) and I'm not sure that is an option.

I have been using the Wyoming Trail 2 tent since this spring. I agree that it would be a plus if small tent only fly and footprint were available for a quick one night setup, but then this would also require a separate set of poles. To my knowledge, not available.

Although I do not have a Redverz tent, I have a similar but much lower version, an English made tent, the Wynnstar Monacoa. The larger Monacoa is similar to the Wyoming Trail 2 but has a few advantages (and a couple of disadvantages). The sleeping area is larger, and could actually accommodate two persons; the B.A. W.T.2 can not and becomes quite crowded with one's travel bag inside. The fly on the garage of the Monacoa comes much closer to the ground than the B.A. Trail 2 and consequently, fewer inquisitive bugs, if any, have entered the garage overnight. I have had insects visit the B.A. garage (which I call the mud room) as the larger gap between the fly and ground sheet is an open invitation. The the B.A. Trail 2 has no windows and can feel somewhat claustrophobic. The B.A. Trail Trail 2 comes with four straps on the fly which do not reach the ground and consequently require you to provide ropes for pegs to secure that section of the tent, creating the large gap mentioned earlier. Both tents' flys can be erected in the rain, with the tent being installed afterwards, keeping the actual tent dry. This is a more difficult with the B.A. as compared to the Monacoa or my previous B.A.. I am hopeful that the plastic clips on the poles have a long life. They seem rather flimsy. My ground sheet straps do not all match up perfectly with the tent peg straps, as a previous Big Agnes groundsheet and tent did, thus requiring additional pegs in some areas when one peg should work for both straps. :mad

Features that I like about the B.A. W. Trail 2 tent is unlike the Monacoa, there are no sleeves, but rather clips for no hassle clipping to the poles. I like the feature of the awning, but poles for keeping it up are not included. The rear vestibule is handy. The weight of the tent, 10 pounds is a plus, as my Monacoa or a Redverz are about 16 pounds. The B.A. also has a loft (an additional charge) but no pockets inside the tent for storing a wallet, keys, etc. Since I have lost 3.5" in height over the years, at 5'6", I am able to stand when dressing or undressing. (A taller individual should also have success standing with only a slight bending required.) Being able to put the tent up in the rain is a nice feature, although not as easily done as with some other tents.

Overall I like the B.A. Wyoming Trail 2 tent and bought it because I like keeping my sleeping area separate from the "mud room", as well as being able to stand up for dressing/undressing, and erecting it in the rain. It is not perfect, but then I have neither has been my Monacoa, my previous B.A., my Eureka (quick put up overnight tent/hit the road tent), or my Colemans.

Back