• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bicycle race/ride moto-marshal

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
Yesterday I along with 10 other riders marshaled the 1st Seattle Lance Armstrong Foundation Livestrong Challenge bicycle race/ride. Over $1,000,000 was raised for the LAF, and 600 volunteers helped 1900 participants enjoy a great day. Thanks to all who participated, sponsored, volunteered and otherwise helped make the event a special day of riding for me :clap

11 motorcycles, 7 BMWs.
20090621-002.jpg

Getting ready to get out on the course.
20090621-004.jpg

Riders nearing the top of the nastiest hill climb on the 70 and 100 mile courses.
20090621-005.jpg

El Diablo cheers riders up the hill.
20090621-009.jpg

Riders reach the finish line.
20090621-011.jpg

We were lucky to avoid most of the weather that developed in the area in the afternoon. There was a bit of light rain in the Issaquah/Redmond area, and I heard some riders got hailed on in Renton. I rode the entire 100 mile course with the lead group of three, and then circled back to help others at a couple of the course's pinch points and steep hills.

With the lead group, we had to dodge a couple of determined dogs at the top of Tiger Mountain Dr. I thought for sure a rider, a dog, or myself was going to get injured as the dogs chased along with us for a couple hundred yards. One instance of bad signage had us off course for about five seconds. Our passing woke up the napping sheriff deputy who was supposed to be directing traffic at the intersection. That was a fun aspect to riding with the lead group - waking up all the unsuspecting law enforcement officers unaware we'd be coming through so soon and so quickly. The lead group of riders averaged 20 mph over the 100 mile course, including three nasty climbs.

It was a 12-hour day for me, and I put about 250 miles on the bike marshaling a 100 mile ride. Blowing through stop signs, red lights, and riding on closed freeways and roads - all in plain view of law enforcement - was a blast. Getting to do it all in the name of charity was a little guilt-inducing.

While not as exhausted as those who gave it all on their bicycles, I'm a little tired and sore this morning!

Thanks to my team - several of them MOA members - who helped with this spectacular event and special day.

If you are interested in helping out the LAF at the remaining Livestrong Challenge events in Philadelphia, San Jose, or Austin, do a web search for the city + "Livestrong Challenge" to find the event's web page and to sign up as a participant of volunteer.

Outstanding!!

Nice pictures.

Good to see the turn out of the volunteers for supporting the ride.

Looks like it was a good day for all including Lance's foundation.

Back