• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Better mirrors for 2011 RT?

Frosty 2022 campsite with bike.jpg
I have a 2011 R1200RT and I'm very frustrated by the stock rearview mirrors. You just can't see behind you with a top case, and especially when you're packed for a camping outing. Does anyone have a suggestion for adding additional mirrors up higher in order to reduce this safety hazard? Looking for efficiency, price and good looks.
Thanks!
Bruce

I use the small convex mirrors attached to the upper outer corners of my mirrors on my 2011RT. Had the same issues, no longer a problem. I set the stock mirrors to see near behind and just to the side and behind, while the small convex mirrors give me full view behind me and 1.5 lanes on either side of me.

No more blind spots. I've tested them extensively, passing a car just enough on either side that their bumper is at the back of the bike. I can see them plain as day, right there anytime I need to know what's around me, either side of me.

Won't ride mine without said mirrors. My brothers GT is a little better with the stock mirrors yet adding those convex small mirrors gives him the same views around him I have on mine.

There are a couple of ways to handle the extra mirrors situation. BMW GS mirrors are easily added, but the price can be a bit high. Other manufacturers make mirrors which can be added. Here are two photos. The first is of my formerly-owned 2008 RT with the GS mirrors:

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 7.22.18 AM.png

The second photo is of what I think was a 2011 RT at the Barber Museum parking lot in Alabama (same place and time as the first photo):

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 7.22.55 AM.png

I think that a trip to Max BMW in NH (since you're in Chelmsford, MA) would make it an easy process to add the mirrors.

There are a couple of ways to handle the extra mirrors situation. BMW GS mirrors are easily added, but the price can be a bit high. Other manufacturers make mirrors which can be added. Here are two photos. The first is of my formerly-owned 2008 RT with the GS mirrors:

Looks like you have the pictures swapped.
The top picture has 2003 or 2004 K1200RS/GT mirrors.
Bottom picture looks like GS mirrors.

Looks like you have the pictures swapped.
The top picture has 2003 or 2004 K1200RS/GT mirrors.
Bottom picture looks like GS mirrors.

You're right Lee. The 2008 RT is seven years out of my life and my increasingly dim memory had the GS line as my source. Of course, the GS line was the source for those on my present 2015 RT:

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 9.34.57 AM.png

Back