• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery Hold Down Straps

CTellman

I used to buy stretchy rubber straps to hold down my battery. There perpendicular metal rods on each end.
Any ideas for a source?
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
:thumb

Does Bob's BMW have them? Check their microfiche to see if they available.
Straps for my '86 R80 are available at Bob's, for example, for $12.99 each.

Last edited:
If you can't locate them from a local source they are available from Motobins UK. They advertise in the owners news.

I used to buy stretchy rubber straps to hold down my battery. There perpendicular metal rods on each end.
Any ideas for a source?
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

Check Max's - R80 Microfische, Frame # 61-0245, Item 61 21 1 243 562, TENSION STRAP, $12.22 each.

Great service from Rusty!

JC

Straps

Any ideas for a source?
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

Based on the year of the bike in your sig. line, I'd say that you might be going in the wrong direction. If you look on the sides of your battery mount, you should see a key hole opening. If that's there then you use two spokes and a bridge across the back of the battery, along with two knurled nuts. Go to the MAX BMW parts site and you can see that those parts are listed. The rubber strap in the "universal" picture has a number but it isn't listed because it's for a different application.

Battery Hold Down . . . .

I have the hold down you mention. They are not very good. I have to reattach the hold downs once a week. I have had past airheads with the stretchy straps and they worked very well. I checked several websites including Max and Bob's and found the strap with a number on the fiche but didn't see a price so I assume there are none available. I can engineer something using the existing battery box.
Thanks for the input.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

I have the hold down you mention. They are not very good. Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

I agree with you, Campbell! I have a Westco in my 1978 R100S and the stock battery hold down will not work. The "spokes" are not long enough for the threaded ends to reach through the bridge to attach the nuts.

I have the hold down you mention. They are not very good. I have to reattach the hold downs once a week. I have had past airheads with the stretchy straps and they worked very well. I checked several websites including Max and Bob's and found the strap with a number on the fiche but didn't see a price so I assume there are none available. I can engineer something using the existing battery box.
Thanks for the input.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

That stretchy strap from the R80 will not work?

Stretchy Rubber Strap . . .

I'll check it out. I cannot understand why they would not list it for my bike if it would fit. Probably more R100RTs out there with this issue.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

Depends on the battery size you have. MAX shows the straps for 85 and on R80's and says they are for 85-95 R80, R80RT, R100, R100RT R100RS with small battery. The stock large battery has a different hold going across it.

Geez...havnt you guys ever heard of bailing wire? :bolt

Hmmmmm?

Now that's a hot idea! It can do double duty - hold down the battery, and work as a seat warmer! Don't let this idea get out or everyone will want to do it.

Where can I get some?

Daym Jimmie, we need to team up!
I hadn't even thought of the seat warmer idea.

On a serious note, if the strap is a little loose, some innertube folded underneath might tighten it up just enough.
Ken

Daym Jimmie, we need to team up!
I hadn't even thought of the seat warmer idea.

On a serious note, if the strap is a little loose, some innertube folded underneath might tighten it up just enough.
Ken

What I did with my smaller battery is to put some pretty dense foam rubber (1/4" thick, purchased from local large craft store) underneath and behind to get back to usable size for strap/hold down.

Works great! Also helps stop any vibration that might affect battery.

turn the hold down piece upside down

I agree with you, Campbell! I have a Westco in my 1978 R100S and the stock battery hold down will not work. The "spokes" are not long enough for the threaded ends to reach through the bridge to attach the nuts.

Turn the hold down piece over and you gain just enough to use wave washer and nut.
kurt

Back