• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Back of the Dragon

osbornk

Old man in the mountains
Back of the Dragon Day

June 2nd, 2012 ÔÇô ÔÇ£The Dragon AwakesÔÇØ

(Open to the Public at 9:00 AM)

Please come join us to ride and drive 32 miles of the most challenging black top in the southeast U.S. From moments of focused concentration, to moments of sheer beauty as you approach the overlooks (bring your camera). With mountain ranges in the distance and DragonÔÇÖs breath on the valley floor, you will feel the thrill of becoming a Dragon Master!

For the first time the gateways to the ÔÇ£Back of the DragonÔÇØ, Tazewell and Marion VA, will celebrate ÔÇ£Back of the Dragon DayÔÇØ in downtown areas on the same day, June 2nd, 2012. Festivities will include live music, bike shows, car shows, motorcycle and car company displays, and vendors. In addition, Tazewell will play host to three time national stunt champion, Bill Dixon. Bill will be on hand to perform for the crowd and celebrate the day with us. Another first this year is commemorative passports to mark the event. Be sure and pick up yours up at the Back of the Dragon tent in either town.

There will be plenty of food and beverages from local restaurants and food vendors. So come and celebrate ÔÇ£Back of the Dragon DayÔÇØ with us in Tazewell and Marion, Virginia.

Bike and Car Show Registration ÔÇô 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Opening Ceremonies ÔÇô 10:00 AM

Bill Dixon Stunt Riding Exhibition ÔÇô 10:45 AM, 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM.

http://backofthedragon.com/

We rode this just last weekend.

Nice road for sure and the pavement was in good condition.

Sounds like a nice event.

jason

wish

wish I could make the shindig, but I'm making plans to come down and spend money next month.

checked out the road and surround on google earth, and holy mackerel. I assume you have some fried food down there.:brow

wish I could make the shindig, but I'm making plans to come down and spend money next month.

checked out the road and surround on google earth, and holy mackerel. I assume you have some fried food down there.:brow

I have around a half dozen routes of equally good roads mapped out in the area if you are interested. I did them back when the MOA rally was in Johnson City and later. They are a Word document. Some of them have a good place to eat around lunch time and are 150-200 miles long which is a good ride considering the curves and mountains. Let me know if you want them and I can e-mail them to you.

sigh

I'm gonna change my sig line to: "In the middle of some of the crappiest excuse for riding in the country.":violin

I'd love it if you recommended some other roads in the area. But it looks like all the way from Lex to The back o' The dragon is about a zillion per cent better than riding in IL. We made or roads reeeeally straight and flat to match.. I have no idea what they were thinking.

but anyhoo, I suppose i should PM my email so the heinous BMW riders don't see my email: geneweygandt@yahoo.com

thanx!:dance

you oughtta see

ok everybody else...especially those of you who live and ride in the middlewest. you really oughtta check this out. I went to The Dragon last year, and like so many would have to call it over-rated. The Cherahola right next door was much more fun. The roads near the soon-to-be-famous Back O' The Dragon look awesome from Google Earth. and Osbornk's extra guides are kinda incredible.:thumb

Meet you there:dance

We found the Back of the Dragon by accident last month. We went for a 3 day ride on the bikes and were temporarily lost-but-unconcerned along the VA/WV border and ended up in Tazewell, looking for Marion, and the locals pointed us to Rt 16. It was truly a great ride, almost no traffic on a Thursday afternoon. The rider on the GS in front of me low sided and was pinned to the guard rail by his bike, but neither rider nor bike were particularly hurt - got up, dusted off, fired up, rode on.

It wasn't until a few days later that we found out that the road was a destination for bikes.

BTW we stayed at the Francis Marion Hotel on the main drag in Marion. Semi-secure parking out back with surveillance cameras. A really really sleepy bar off the lobby with good beer prices (Black Rooster). Livelier place down the street called Macados, as far as I can remember.

Rode it last weekend. The road has been paved in sections since last summer and was not nearly as dirty with gravel as last time I was on it either. Not as much traffic this time around either.
Worth a ride if you're in the area.

Few pics from last weekend....
DSC_0052.jpg

DSCN3885.jpg

DSCN3887.jpg

DSCN3888.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Back