• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ascent of Loveland Pass, Colorado - Vid/Images

sfarson

Here's a recent 3:30 ascent of the north side. There's some sand on the road from recent snow. With apologies, I do double line pass a vehicle or two slowly taking in the scenery or terrified of the drop-offs... or both. David Benoit's "Linus & Lucy" is the music accompaniment...

The Ascent of Loveland Pass - Streaming Video

Some of the pics from the ride. Pausing at Loveland Ski Area just below the Continental Divide. Soon after this image was taken and the ride recorded, heavy snow turned the area into a winter wonderland. This is where the onboard recording begins...
lovelandpassski.jpg

Turning around, to the top we are going...
lovelandnorthroad1.jpg

About halfway up, a pause...
k1200slovelandnorth1.jpg

A photogenic thing...
k1200slovelandnorth2.jpg

And I rotate left 90 degrees to see the road continuing to the top. This is not a place to ride distracted :)...
lovelandnorthroad2.jpg

At just under 12,000ft., the pass summit looking to the north...
k1200slovelandsign.jpg

To the south it is less gentle...
k1200slovelandsouth1.jpg

Can see the Arapaho Basin ski area in the distance. This is a high one, often not closing for the season until July...
k1200slovelandsouth2.jpg

Sigh, now the chore of riding down :). A good ride on the BMW...
lovelandsouthroad.jpg

Nice. Been getting emountain mail alerts about the snow. Thinking about A or Keystone in the next couple of weeks. Really, thanks for showing that. I've driven that rode many times but thinking of it on a motorcycle :thumb

Regards,

Randy Kasal

I actually pedalled that route once. I have a picture of me holding my bike above my head at the divide sign.

I love the rockies.

Nice. Been getting emountain mail alerts about the snow. Thinking about A or Keystone in the next couple of weeks. Really, thanks for showing that. I've driven that rode many times but thinking of it on a motorcycle :thumb

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Randy, with the snow dump received the past few days, along with the forecast for more... sweet conditions for "riding" the slopes. :)

Used a bulletcam from helmetcamera.com feeding a MiniDV tucked in a fanny pack.

I saw on this morning's news that Loveland Pass is closed. we only got a few inches over the last few days, but my street is covered, so no bike action for me. how'd your area fare?

Great video. Brought back memories of our ski trip last year when we yo-yoed loveland pass for a day. :)

Great video!

I went through SW CO, Million Dollar HiWay, & Monarch in mid-Sept -- No snow, but my last night in La Junta they said Loveland got dusted.

Regardless, thanks for sharing - never get tired of the views!

I actually pedalled that route once. I have a picture of me holding my bike above my head at the divide sign.

I love the rockies.

that's impressive! it's quite a bit of work to get yourself over those passes when you're just running a 1/4 hp engine.

Steve- another clean vid. However, I must say that i'm a little bit surprised by your passing audacity! In all the time I've known you I do not believe that we ever conducted ourselves in such a reckless manner, with such a clear and obvious flouting of the local traffic laws. Besides- there wasn't a Mercedes in the bunch! I thought you limited such actions to cars of the M-B persuasion. what up with that?

that's impressive! it's quite a bit of work to get yourself over those passes when you're just running a 1/4 hp engine.

1/4 hp. That explains why it took so long. I was going so slow bugs were landing on me.

That, and the trek up Mt Evans.

Great part of the country to go slow though :)

Thanks very much for this. I have now rerouted our 12,000 trip next summer to include this Loveland Pass trip. Thanks for the needed inspiration. -Bob

bob- fwiw, Loveland is one of the nicer passes in CO, but there are soooo many others that to just hit Loveland would be a crime. c'mon down to Paonia for Top of the Rockies (weekend after the National) and enjoy Red Mountain, Lizard Head, Slumgullion
SlumgullionPass.jpg
, McClure
southsideofMcClurepass2.jpg
, Independence
Independenceroad.jpg
IndependencePasslookingnorth.jpg
Milner
11Smntnforest.jpg
, etc. Kick your boots off, and stay awhile :)

Steve- another clean vid. However, I must say that i'm a little bit surprised by your passing audacity! In all the time I've known you I do not believe that we ever conducted ourselves in such a reckless manner, with such a clear and obvious flouting of the local traffic laws. Besides- there wasn't a Mercedes in the bunch! I thought you limited such actions to cars of the M-B persuasion. what up with that?

Ha!

Hey, we received about 6" here, and according to forecasts another 4-6" is on its way the next 24 hrs.

BTW, I'm committed to Paonia next summer. First time to go! I'm even thinking about heading north to Gillette! Never been to a BMW rally. How about that.

will enjoy doing some riding in the Paonia area with you Steve. won't see you at Gillette however, I gotta take a pass on that one.

1/4 hp. That explains why it took so long. I was going so slow bugs were landing on me.

That, and the trek up Mt Evans.

Great part of the country to go slow though :)

Sherpa... Kudos for the Mt. Evans ascent on pedal power! My ascents of the peaks were by foot. Climbed Evans on a November day from Guanella Pass and had the peak, the empty parking, to myself. Almost Twilight Zone like. Here's a K-Bike ascent to Echo Lake, just below Evans. Roads you pedaled. Hey, with the snow falling here need to occupy myself with posts!

http://www.farson.com/video/klunch.wmv

Sherpa... Kudos for the Mt. Evans ascent on pedal power! My ascents of the peaks were by foot. Climbed Evans on a November day from Guanella Pass and had the peak, the empty parking, to myself. Almost Twilight Zone like. Here's a K-Bike ascent to Echo Lake, just below Evans. Roads you pedaled. Hey, with the snow falling here need to occupy myself with posts!

http://www.farson.com/video/klunch.wmv

Great shots...will be there next year for Top O Rockies and hang out for a while.

and Sherpa:bow , I would love to do that on a bicycle, well even more about ten years ago! Heres a Beemer bike for the climbs! I don't think I would rip around a corner on that set up though!

Attachments

• BMW~bicycle.jpg
    BMW~bicycle.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 70
Great shots...will be there next year for Top O Rockies and hang out for a while.

and Sherpa:bow , I would love to do that on a bicycle, well even more about ten years ago! Heres a Beemer bike for the climbs! I don't think I would rip around a corner on that set up though!

Took 7 hours to get to the top. Lot less oxygen up there, especially for one who trained at sea level!

Less than 2 hours to get down and over to I-70. Think I might have pedaled once or twice.

My bike didn't look anything like that (how does it steer?), just an oldie with a triple gear.

Rabbit Ear's Pass

Any shots/video of Rabbit Ear's Pass? I've only went through in the winter and usually at night, and yes, it was closed a couple of times. But it looked beautiful the few times in the daylight.

I don't recall the pass we took in Wyoming to Idaho from Jackson Hole to Grand Targhee but that was nice. Also closed due to an avalanche about ten minutes after we went through requiring a 60 mile out-of-the-way return trip.

You folks living in the mountains are fortunate.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Back