• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

anybody know of the "American Roaming Network" ?

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
I ran out of fuel (don't ask) on Hwy 101 above Willits in a rural area of Northern CA last month. I had no cell service, but when I tried to call for a tow truck/fuel I was routed somehow to the "American Roaming Network" aka ARN. The recorded message said to enter a credit card number and they would give me a PIN for $15 worth of phone time to make "roaming" calls on their network.

I was able to obtain PIN XXXX, but when I called the 866 number that the recording told me to call, I never received any prompts to actually make a call to the AMA tow company number.

Luckily, another rider stopped to help me out and went to the next town, got fuel, and came back. Thank you, Motorcycle Gods.

When I got home, I emailed ARN about getting a refund of the $15, and I asked why I was unable to make a call after I got a PIN from them.

I received an unhelpful email reply: "You can only complete OUTBOUND calls on ARN and ONLY if the carrier sends the call to us. We do not offer a dial service via an 8XX #. There is no way to buy a PIN and use it on our service, without the Cellular call being sent to us by one of our Carrier customers. Your credit card charge has been refunded."

Sooo, if my carrier Sprint doesn't have a contract with ARN, the emergency roaming call gets sent to ARN, but they won't do anything unless Sprint sends them the call?

If you google ARN they have mostly very negative reviews except for three five-star reviews that all appeared sometime last year. Hmmm ...

Sounds like a scam to me. Anybody here know anything about ARN ?

The recorded message said to enter a credit card number and they would give me a PIN for $15 worth of phone time to make "roaming" calls on their network.

I was able to obtain PIN XXXX, but when I called the 866 number that the recording told me to call, I never received any prompts to actually make a call to the AMA tow company number.

That being the case I would cancel and replace that credit card - yesterday if possible!

Thanks, Gents for the replies, it sounds like ARN isn't really a legit option.

I guess my strategy should be #1) don't run out of fuel in rural areas with no cell service, #2) use my Garmin InReach to connect to someone that does have cell service, #3) see #1, #4) rely on the kindness of other bikers to help me, #5) see #1.

8)

I received an unhelpful email reply: "You can only complete OUTBOUND calls on ARN and ONLY if the carrier sends the call to us. We do not offer a dial service via an 8XX #. There is no way to buy a PIN and use it on our service, without the Cellular call being sent to us by one of our Carrier customers. Your credit card charge has been refunded."

Sooo, if my carrier Sprint doesn't have a contract with ARN, the emergency roaming call gets sent to ARN, but they won't do anything unless Sprint sends them the call?

And how can Sprint send them the call if they don't have network coverage? Catch-22? As previously mentioned this sure seems like double talk. And their website lists no phone numbers which you can call to make inquiries.

Back