• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ANY EXPERIENCE WITH MPH CYCLES IN HOUSTON?

tangoalpha

Hello Oilheads!

Now that I’ve relocated and getting my bike back on the road, I’ve been searching for an independent BMW mechanic who works on Oilheads in my area.

Woodlands Premium Motorcycles, who sell and service BMW and are located close to my home do not service bikes older than 10 years old. After doing an online search, I ran across MPH CYCLE’S in Houston. They apparently service Moto Guzzi and BMW only, so I figured this might be a good option.

I called and asked a few questions, but I quickly got the impression they weren’t interested in servicing my bike, despite being told that they work on Oilhead bikes every day. I mentioned that my bike, an ‘02 R1150RT has a fully functioning, servo assisted braking system. He mentioned that he hates that system. I realize that is a shared feeling by some, but I wasn’t offended. Mine works perfectly and I have no issue with it, so naturally, I want to continue to maintain it. I also inquired about lubricating the splines of the output shaft on the final drive. He immediately began questioning why I felt that needed to be done, as if lubricating the splines was completely unnecessary. I explained that my bike had a shaft failure at 19k miles which was no doubt due to over-shimming, courtesy of BMW at time of production. Overall, the sense I got from the conversation was the person is combative and likes to argue. After that, a quick Google search for reviews revealed there are other people who had similar or bad experiences.

Ordinarily, that would be off putting enough for me to look elsewhere. However, there isn’t exactly a lot of independent BMW mechanics who will work on a 22-year-old RT with servo-
assisted braking that I’m aware of. Have any of you had experience with MPH cycles in Houston? If so, would you trust them with your bike? Or, is there anyone that you would recommend…besides Paul Glaves (ha ha) to take a look at my bike?

MPH shows up in the list of independent shops on the IBMWR website. Someone wrote something about the shop on the list FWIW.

Some other forum responses:

Hello Oilheads!

Now that I’ve relocated and getting my bike back on the road, I’ve been searching for an independent BMW mechanic who works on Oilheads in my area.

Woodlands Premium Motorcycles, who sell and service BMW and are located close to my home do not service bikes older than 10 years old. After doing an online search, I ran across MPH CYCLE’S in Houston. They apparently service Moto Guzzi and BMW only, so I figured this might be a good option.

I called and asked a few questions, but I quickly got the impression they weren’t interested in servicing my bike, despite being told that they work on Oilhead bikes every day. I mentioned that my bike, an ‘02 R1150RT has a fully functioning, servo assisted braking system. He mentioned that he hates that system. I realize that is a shared feeling by some, but I wasn’t offended. Mine works perfectly and I have no issue with it, so naturally, I want to continue to maintain it. I also inquired about lubricating the splines of the output shaft on the final drive. He immediately began questioning why I felt that needed to be done, as if lubricating the splines was completely unnecessary. I explained that my bike had a shaft failure at 19k miles which was no doubt due to over-shimming, courtesy of BMW at time of production. Overall, the sense I got from the conversation was the person is combative and likes to argue. After that, a quick Google search for reviews revealed there are other people who had similar or bad experiences.

Ordinarily, that would be off putting enough for me to look elsewhere. However, there isn’t exactly a lot of independent BMW mechanics who will work on a 22-year-old RT with servo-
assisted braking that I’m aware of. Have any of you had experience with MPH cycles in Houston? If so, would you trust them with your bike? Or, is there anyone that you would recommend…besides Paul Glaves (ha ha) to take a look at my bike?
Many of us Oilhead owners work on other bikes on the side. Since BMW dealers have mostly stopped servicing them, I've had quite a few riders contact me as I work out of my garage, servicing Oilheads and Airheads. Unfortunately I'm 1200 miles away or I would be happy to help. My advice would be to get in touch with local clubs, local riders and find out which guys/gals are doing this sort of work on the side. They're out there, and if like me, would be happy to help keep these great bikes on the road.

Overall, the sense I got from the conversation was the person is combative and likes to argue. After that, a quick Google search for reviews revealed there are other people who had similar or bad experiences.......

If so, would you trust them with your bike?
With the impressions you got from the conversation I would steer far away from that shop. To answer your question, no I would not trust them.

Many of us Oilhead owners work on other bikes on the side. Since BMW dealers have mostly stopped servicing them, I've had quite a few riders contact me as I work out of my garage, servicing Oilheads and Airheads. Unfortunately I'm 1200 miles away or I would be happy to help. My advice would be to get in touch with local clubs, local riders and find out which guys/gals are doing this sort of work on the side. They're out there, and if like me, would be happy to help keep these great bikes on the road.
Yes. join or at least contact local clubs (not just BMW clubs) to find out who they are using and are happy with.
With the impressions you got from the conversation I would steer far away from that shop. To answer your question, no I would not trust them.
Thanks very much for your input. I really appreciate it. I hadn’t considered the angle of joining a local club, so I will definitely look in to that.

There are a couple Oilhead riders that I’ve seen riding in The Woodlands. Wish I knew who they were. Would be great to connect with other like minded people who share an appreciation for these old bikes.

Hello there . I have not worked on a oil head , but do service many old and newer motorcycles . My expertise is Old Kawasaki's ( c10 from the ZRXOA )
feel free to send me a message and we can talk . I have spline lube , and happy to apply it . Seems many forget customer service .
Have a gentleman riding in Saturday on his 2015 RT for some service work . 20240314_185836.jpg20240315_191855.jpg20231103_154933.jpg1st valve check at 387 miles.jpgBlack widow .jpg20170112_191606_HDR.jpgWork shop.jpg

Back