• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another situation that is beyond insurance coverage- Tower crane in New York Topples.

Most of these are electrically powered. An electrically powered motor is designed with breakers at the motor and at the power source.
I doubt it was a stupid operator unless, at 450 feet in the air, was suicidal.

I find these pieces of heavy equipment fascinating in all phases of the engineering it takes to build and utilize the crane.

OM

Stupid operators, perhaps?

The fire was in the rear where the cable spools and power systems would be. It looks like one of the spools either unrolled or the cable broke, allowing the boom to collapse and essentially fall right off the mount.

Pretty horrifying and I'm curious about what might have caused the fire that seems to have precipitated the loss of the boom.

With a crane?

Ken

Usually a large capacity crane sets the base footage on the concrete footing, frequently an oversized elevator footing, but from the on up it’s self “jacking” due to the height.

Lots of YouTube videos-

Bringing it down is going to require a bit of thinking. Pretty sure they mentioned the “house” was at around 450 feet.

Tough guys only need apply.

OM

The fire was in the rear where the cable spools and power systems would be. It looks like one of the spools either unrolled or the cable broke, allowing the boom to collapse and essentially fall right off the mount.

Pretty sure that they mentioned that they figured that the heat of the fire most likely weakened the cable(s).

It wouldn’t take much to upset cables with a reported 16 tons of concrete under load.

OM

I helped put up the yellow crane, it was a trip! Too bad I don't seem to have any pics from the show. Funny when they hang the boom it goes up one side at a time. When the first side goes up the mast bends waaay over. It's pretty wild!

P7090013-XL.jpg

I had a friend - a BMW rider - who was a crane operator. He did jobs like bridges over the Mississippi and such. He was recounting such a bridge job. He was sent to the job site and rented a house. He went to work every day for two months as the crane was assembled and he observed the assembly. When the crane was assembled and the barges with bridge parts arrived he went to work for three day shifts, hoisting the parts into place as they were installed. Then he went home while the company took another month or so to take the crane apart. All in a days work he said.

Initial reports indicate that the fire was due to the hydraulic oil catching fire, most likely from a leak. Many normally benign substances such as hydraulic fluid become highly flammable when atomized such as a spray from a pinhole leak.
The report was indicating the hydraulic fluid sprayed on the hot engine so perhaps this unit was diesel powered.

OM

Back