• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

An R1200RT rider spends the afternoon on an F800ST

Charlie_K

Registered Muser
Yesterday while my R1200RT was getting its 24K service at MAX BMW in Troy, NY they loaned me an F800ST. I was delighted to get a chance to ride the ST. The RT is the only bike I’ve ridden in a couple of years. I’ve gotten used to its bulk but I’m always aware of it. While I like the features on bigger bikes like the K1200LT I’m not willing to take the additional 400 pounds of motorcycle that goes with them. I wondered how a bike a hundred or so pounds lighter but designed for a similar mission would compare to the RT.

I sat on the bike and familiarized myself with the controls before I hit the road. Nothing unusual there, at least to a BMW rider. The horn button is in the same oddball spot as my RT; I’d be hitting the left turn signal whenever I intend to sound the horn on this bike too.

As I rolled out of MAX’s driveway the differences between the bikes became apparent. Going from the RT to the ST is like taking off shoes and putting on sneakers. After a few miles on NY 7 I took NY 346 into Vermont. It’s a good highway to get to know a bike on. In 9 miles you encounter roller coaster road, blind curves, railroad crossings, cattle crossings, and small towns with speed restrictions and 90-degree corners. You don’t just sit on the bike; you’re always doing something. It was fun on the ST; there’s no steering effort. You just think where you’d like to be and the bike goes there.

I hit US 7 and went south into Williamstown, MA then east to North Adams for lunch. As I ate I thought “I’ve been riding for less than a hour and I’ve been in three states, I could ride south into Connecticut then west back into New York making this a four state test drive.”

After lunch I headed south on MA 8 intending to get back on US 7 in Pittsfield and ride into Connecticut. I’d only gone a few miles when I changed my plans. The riding position on the ST had me putting too much weight on my wrists and they were getting sore. I decided to head for home. I turned onto West Mountain Road which I knew would take me to US 7, there I could take Massachusetts route 43 to New York route 43 and be home in an hour.

ST46.jpg

I’d been on the other end of West Mountain Road but never all the way through. The road quickly went from two lanes to a narrow road with broken pavement then to single lane dirt. The ST handled fine on the dirt, tracking well on the loose rutted surface. I would have continued but after a short while I encountered a “Road Closed” sign. I reversed course back to route 8 and went to Pittsfield.

Leaving Pittsfield on US 20 I found another annoyance with the bike. As I sat in traffic backed up by road construction the bike became uncomfortably warm on my legs, then it got worse, the fan came on blowing hot air in my face. I was real happy to get rolling again.

I’m used to people coming over to look at the RT and it was no different with the ST. When I stopped for fuel I got complimented on the bike’s looks.

As I rolled west on route 20 I noticed I had a tendency to ride too slow. Accustomed as I am to sitting behind the RT’s windshield I must have felt like I was going faster with the wind in my face. When people started passing me I picked up the pace.
When I got on Interstate 90 I again found myself riding too slow. I missed the RT’s cruise control, although I usually rely on that to keep me from accidentally going too fast.
After a stop to show the bike to my brother it was back to MAX BMW and back on my R1200RT. I was happy to be riding it again. I’ve put over 4000 miles on it in the last couple of weeks and I feel at home on it.

I’m glad I had the ST for a few hours. If I’d only ridden it around the block my opinion would be different than it is. It’s a real nice motorcycle but after an hour in the saddle some warts become apparent. The seating position could be fixed by raising the bars a couple of inches. I don’t know about the engine heat, hopefully it cools down as the bike breaks in. The bike I rode had only 36 miles on it when I got it.
So would I rather have an R1200RT or an F800ST? No question about it I like the RT better. The ST is fun and flickable, with good looks and a pleasant sound. It’s probably quite spirited too. I didn’t test that; since I had a brand new bike I rode it gently.
The RT isn’t flickable but it’s everything else the ST is and more. Since the more is all stuff I want I’ll take the size and weight that goes with it.

Last edited:
No the heat doesn't improve with age. It is a feature of faired, water-cooled, vertical bikes. Some are worse. The trick is to find the roads less-traveled so there is near constant air flow. I have ridden in temps from 0 to 120F and the engine heat is not a factor. But hit stop and go traffic and the fan will kick in and warm up your left leg nicely. Last year I got a few giggles at a 2hour lineup to cross the border in +90F. After about 5 minutes of creeping along I just shut the bike off and pushed the mile to the checkstop.

It is a shame you didn't have a loaner that hasn't had it's 1,000 mark bday. Find one and then find the roads it was made for - the Dragon comes to mind or Needles in the Black Hills but really any road that is not straight will let it shine. As you noticed there is almost no steering effort required on the bike. Get to the flickies let it run free, you won't stop grinning for hours.

Not surprised that your wrists were trouble. That will happen when in the city and slow riding and coming from an RT. Out at speed the air flow over the windshield will support your upper body and ease the wrist pressure.

And you also didn't have it long enough to find one of the best pleasures of the 800 series - near 60 mpg.

It is a small, light bike designed to travel to the fun roads and play for hours.

R1200RT to F800ST comparison

I have over 6K miles on my F800ST now, and in reading the comments by the R1200RT riders I can concur. I may get to do my own comparison in a couple of weeks since a friend has "gone to the dark side" according to his Harley friends and bought a 05 R1200RT and he and I are going on a road trip together. We may decide to swap bikes at some point and it will be a nice comparison. My bike has had a few changes to make up for some of the "short comings" noted in the post. I have added set backs (1" back, 1" up) for the handle bars to improve the seating position, and added a Throttlemeiser to allow steady speeds on the freeways and take the load off my wrists.

St

This past weekend I test rode a F800ST and a R1200GS. My current mount is a 86 R80RS and I have owned a 93R100R and a 99R1100RT. If I had to choose between the GS and the ST I would pick the ST. But it did take a minute to get used to it. The fact that there is no feedback from the engine, transmission took me by surprise. No exhaust note to talk about I had to look at the instruments to find out what was going on. But I can get used to that... I was pleasantly surprised. I like the GS and it is okay, but I feel that I was "just sitting on the bike" on the ST I was in the bike. My old oilhead mechanic told me that the ST is foul proof, no problems whatsoever. The only concern that he had is with the "can-bus" key that brought a major recall out because owners can't even start their own bikes.... so knowing that, when the time comes I will probably look for my dream bike: 92 through 95 R100R. On the other hand, I would not have any problems owning a ST after I modify the seat and the handlebars.

Comparrison

I purchased a new 05 1200RT and put 11k on in one year.

March 07 I purchased an ST and put 10k in one year

The ST wins.

The RT would be perfect if it had two more wheels on it.

Back