• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alternator Repair & New Vibration Issue

Here is the latest status update. The bike finally got repaired.

The bike is finally up and running again and without vibrations. The official explanation was that the new alternator was out of alignment. One part of it was 180 degrees out of sync with the rest which caused the engine vibrations.

If you have such a major repair, take a video of your mirror vibrations before the alternator repair. This will give you a good baseline against your engine vibrations after the repair.

While the repair was expensive, it came with a 2-year warranty on parts and labor.

Last edited:
Replaced my LC alternator windings myself in November, not rotor.

In the old days when you took a flywheel off and clutch parts you had to put then back in the factory rotation orientation ('85K100RS). On the R1200GS '13 (first year) LC, the clutch center and the clutch outer don't seem to be marked for an oriented reassembly and I wonder if that causes some trouble, mine seems a little buzzier after I did the job.

The winding BMW part went in, the expensive rotor (bowl) stayed in the box.

Part of the job was locking the flywheel rotation early on after I dropped the motor. I uses a photo I took to orient the inner clutch part as I reassembled it. It would be relatively easy to try a few clutch inner orientations, say one per oil change to find a smooth one. It can only go on three ways.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 37
Back