• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Advice/reviews/etc on aftermarket seats '05 R1200RT

Ponch1,
I was going by the OP posting where he said he spent more than a grand but that was probably for both seats and other options. In addition, I just looked at the Russel site and they have some fairly good looking two tone RT saddles. Still a bit wide for my liking but much better looking.

For the record I have only tried the Corbin and Bill Mayer seats - both are better than stock. I would like to try a Rick saddle if I am ever in his area. One of the reasons I went with the Corbin (btw, I got a nearly new saddle for a good price) is that I would love to have the Smuggler trunk also. I had one on my ST1300 but they cost about $200 more now.

Seats are a very personal thing. What does it for one rider may not work for another person. For example, two things I like about the Corbin is what many people complain about. The seat pan weighs a lot but it really holds it's shape well. The stock seat would flex when I hit pot holes or big dips on the road and it would hit the frame. I felt the jar every time. Not light at 195lbs but within specs. Secondly, I like the cell foam being on the firm side.

I think every after market seat is better than the stock seat. In my opinion BMW should offer the "comfort" seat as standard or at a very, very low cost considering the cost of our bikes.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

How much difference is there in cost? The front seat, heated, from Corbin is $559. Russell varies from $480-600 for the front, depending on covering material and retains the factory heat. It's a wash price wise.

Ponch1,
I was going by the OP posting where he said he spent more than a grand but that was probably for both seats and other options. In addition, I just looked at the Russel site and they have some fairly good looking two tone RT saddles. Still a bit wide for my liking but much better looking.

For the record I have only tried the Corbin and Bill Mayer seats - both are better than stock. I would like to try a Rick saddle if I am ever in his area. One of the reasons I went with the Corbin (btw, I got a nearly new saddle for a good price) is that I would love to have the Smuggler trunk also. I had one on my ST1300 but they cost about $200 more now.

Seats are a very personal thing. What does it for one rider may not work for another person. For example, two things I like about the Corbin is what many people complain about. The seat pan weighs a lot but it really holds it's shape well. The stock seat would flex when I hit pot holes or big dips on the road and it would hit the frame. I felt the jar every time. Not light at 195lbs but within specs. Secondly, I like the cell foam being on the firm side.

I think every after market seat is better than the stock seat. In my opinion BMW should offer the "comfort" seat as standard or at a very, very low cost considering the cost of our bikes.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

Both the Corbin and Comfort seat are too low for me. I'd like another inch or two in height of the stock seat in high position.

Yes, Russell's price can add up, but I was looking at feature for feature. I don't care for fancy colors, back rests etc, but with Russell (and the Mayer seats) it's made for the rider, not bought off the shelf. If I was looking for a seat and the prices were close, I'd rather get the seat that was made for my specifications that hoping it works. I went through that with Mustang seats when I owned a cruiser. Neve again.

Back