• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS Module Failure 2008 R1200RT

afmeyer

My abs pump module, gen 2, has to be rebuilt. I did search but was unable to find help on the procedure for removing and replacing the pump module. I would also like to know if the module has to be bled separately since one thread in this forum seemed to indicate that it didn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
AM

Last edited:
I removed a unit from a 07 R12R that showed an electrical fault on GS911 and had it refurbished by Module Masters.

Was not a major sequence, seems there were a few screws that were buried on bracket and needed a long shank torx socket. I recall removing bracket and pump together.
A little patience was needed to remove and the reinstall went smoothly. I usually take some pics, but didn't this time. I don't recall any major headaches in removal.
I drained the front master cylinder so it wouldn't bleed down by gravity...but it didn't drain any fluid from the lines....just do not touch the lever once you disconnect the lines at unit.

The module was returned full and plugged at fittings. Just reinstalled and bled as normal at wheel calipers. It's not a power assist pump like the pre 07's

My abs pump module, gen 2, has to be rebuilt. I did search but was unable to find help on the procedure for removing and replacing the pump module. I would also like to know if the module has to be bled separately since one thread in this forum seemed to indicate that it didn't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
AM
Welcome to the forum! This thread may be of some help to you- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...one-who-is-doing-it!&highlight=module+masters
Gary

Didn't you have to bleed the front & rear ABS circuits and check the fluid levels in the circuit reservoirs?

The RepROM is quite clear and calls or nothing you wouldn't do on any cage- if you can bleed your cage you do the current RT design the same way. No whizzie nonsense required.

The RepROM is quite clear and calls or nothing you wouldn't do on any cage- if you can bleed your cage you do the current RT design the same way. No whizzie nonsense required.

I do have the RepRom for the 2008 and check off baseline construction when I go to the repair manual data for my bike. In the Brake Section (34), there are numerous subsections such as 3400595, Bleed All Brake Circuits - Integral Brake System, which describe bleeding things like the front metering cylinder, the front integral circuit, and the front control circuit, etc.
Are you saying this is not required, or is done by just bleeding from the calipers, or done when the unit is repaired by the people in Idaho. What about the fluid levels in the circuit reservoirs; are these filled to the correct level when you bleed from the calipers.
It's a little confusing to me as to why these procedures are there in the RepRom, if not necessary. Don't misunderstand, I want to make this as simple as possible and put this job in the past.
Andy

The module was ready to plug/play as they delivered it. As I mentioned it comes plugged and full. Your RepRom may be for the previous series even if it says '08. The pump does not have all the bleed ports the previous whizzy units have.

I installed, refilled front reservoir, and bled at calipers. ABS fault code cleared with 911 and all done.

I do have the RepRom for the 2008 and check off baseline construction...

That is likely the cause of confusion. My '07 RepROM gives me two choices for an R1200RT, Baseline and "Construction status, July 2006". The difference between the two is "BMW Motorrad Integral ABS Generation II". If your bike was built on or after July 2006 you do not want to click on Baseline construction status.

That is likely the cause of confusion. My '07 RepROM gives me two choices for an R1200RT, Baseline and "Construction status, July 2006". The difference between the two is "BMW Motorrad Integral ABS Generation II". If your bike was built on or after July 2006 you do not want to click on Baseline construction status.

That did it. Under "Construction status, July 2006" it also says Integral ABS Gen II which is what's on my bike. Since my bike is a 2008, the 2006 threw me off and I checked baseline which is undefined. Now the job is a piece of cake. Thanks for all your help.
Andy

Back