• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

“A Tale of Two Flats” or “Why I Like Our Tire Pressure Monitoring System.”

mehrten

Mehrten
January is the time of year to cross the desert and ride though Death Valley, and there’s no better place to stay on the way than The Colorado Belle in Laughlin, NV. The Pints Brewery in the Colorado Belle is a way cool gathering ground. The food and their craft brew are both excellent. It’s been the Thursday night gathering location for SEAT’s annual ride through Death Valley that Wanda and I have done for many years.

Our plans this year were pretty much what they have been for the last decade or two: the first night in Gila Bend at the Space Age Lodge with an Italian dinner across the street at The Little Italy Restaurant; the next day taking the Salome Hwy, through Parker, Lake Havasu and then on to Laughlin, crossing the Colorado River at the AVI Resort. There are other routes for sure, we decided on the through-Parker route this year just because.

All went as planned with a most excellent SEAT gathering at the Pints Brewery. Some thirty SEAT members made the Laughlin piece of the ride. It was quite the turn out. The special T-Bone steak at the Brewery was excellent, and I’m a sucker for their Jackass Stout. We really enjoyed the food and the friendship of the SEAT gathering.

Our plans Friday would take us from Laughlin down to Hemet, CA to visit Wanda’ sister. We haven’t seen her in a year or two, so this would be an excellent time to try a few new roads and visit with family. We could always do Death Valley next year.

From Laughlin we rode north to Searchlight, NV, then west through the little town of Nipton, CA. A few miles west of Nipton we took Ivanpah Road south to Morning Star Mine Road towards Cima, CA. Cima was pretty much deserted though there appeared to be a few running vehicles at some to the rundown buildings. We stopped for a photo at the old Cima Store that looked like it’d been closed for more than a few years. This entire route was through the Mojave National Preserve. Beautiful.

Kelso, CA was the next small town along the way. The old train station in Kelso has been restored and is now a tourist attraction. We decided to stop…next time. At Kelso you can go either north to Baker, CA or south to Amboy, CA, which would be our route. From Amboy it was south to Twentynine Palms where we would gas-and-grub. Seven miles from Twentynine Palms our plans changed.

Just as we turned on to Hwy 62 at the Twentynine Palms’ Airport, the dash on our 2016 R1200RS went berserk. Red lights were flashing, warning arrows were blinking and the TPM system was lit showing the front tire down close to ten pounds. We had a flat tire!

We pulled into the Airport parking lot to assess what was going on. After some searching and a lot of prying, a small bolt was pulled out of the front tire along the center tread. I pulled out our Stop-N-Go tire patch kit and our Frankenstein 12 volt tire pump and went to work. The SNG plug went in and held 32 pounds for about 10 minutes. I was pleased.

While I was doing the tire plugging, Wanda was searching for motorcycle repair shops in Twentynine Palms using our smart phone. One showed up and after a quick conversation with “JP” we found a tire that would fit and was the right spec. Yes! The ride to the shop was taken at a very reduced rate. The tire did lose 5 pounds and was at 27 pounds when we pulled into Desert Cycle Works.

While we were eating at the Mexican Restaurant across the street, a new Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT was mounted on the front wheel. I did get a chance to look at the plug inside the tire. It looked good, I was pleased with my work.

We gassed up with a new front tire and rode south through The Joshua Tree National Park and took Box Canyon Road, a new road for us, into Mecca, CA. From there it was through Palm Desert and Mountain Center into Hemet. Though we got in a couple of hours late, we had a good visit with Wanda’s Sister and nephew. We were feeling pretty lucky when we hit the sack that night.

Saturday morning it was south via CA R3 to Hwy 79, CA S2 to Hwy 78 and then south on Hwy 78/86 towards Brawley. We got about 10 minutes of small hail, 15 minutes or so of snow flurries and about 30 minutes of rain on the way. Not bad, we had our Frogg Toggs on over our electrics and stayed toasty warm.

We took the new-to-us bypass around Brawley, taking Hwy 78 East through Glamis, then Ogilby Rd south to I-8. We’ve taken this route on several occasions and had no problem until we hit I-8. There’s a massive amount of work being done along this stretch of I-8 and the entrance to the freeway at Ogilby Road was closed. We had to take the Frontage Road east. It was barely a road, really rough.

Our plans were to take CA S24 around the Imperial Dam, a side of the dam we haven’t been on. On Bard Road just a bit south of 8th Street the dash board went berserk again! This time it was the rear that was 12 pounds low. We had another flat!

We pulled into the Bard Post Office’s parking lot and got out the tools…again. A construction nail was sticking out of the tire just a bit to the side of the center tread. This time it took some time to get the plug in, the hole was quite a bit smaller than the previous hole made by a bolt. I finally got the plug in and pumped the tire up to 42 pounds.

Again, while I was doing the work on the tire, Wanda was busy browsing the web for motorcycle repair shops “near me.” Liberty Motorsports popped up, about twelve miles away in Yuma, AZ. After several calls, they were pretty busy Saturday only a few hours before closing, we got the Sales Manager and the Service Manger on the line. Lucky for us they had a rear tire that would fit the R1200RS, a Dunlop Sportmax Q3. After another slow and tentative ride we pulled into Liberty Motorsports with 41 pounds in the rear. Not bad.

Though they were really busy and working on closing for the weekend, they took the time to help us out. The new Dunlop went on and we were ready to get back on the road, like the last flat, about a 2 hour lay over. I did get a look at the plug in the rear tire. It wasn’t pulled in like the one on the front. I’ll remember that…the next time…hopefully never!

Our ride around Imperial Dam would have to wait for another day. We hit I-8 East to Gila Bend and the Space Age Lodge for the night, getting in just a few minutes after the sun went down. Dinner at the Lodge’s Restaurant was right on time. We hit the sack pretty much pooped out. Did I mention we were having 30 to 40 mph winds and dust storms while all of this was going on?

Sunday Morning both tires were still holding air. Great! We took Hwy 85 south to Why and Hwy 86 to Tucson, then back roads to Sierra Vista getting home about 2 pm. We left with brand new tires, and got home with brand new tires. That’s the fastest we’ve ever worn out a set of tires. Bummer - it added $480 to the cost of the trip.

Our TPM system did its job. We could have easily experienced some serious drama if either of the flats would have gotten down to “flat” before we’d known it. I believe the TPM system saved our bacon. And that’s why I like our TPM system!

I would like to give a shout out and thanks to “JP” at Desert Cycle Works in Twentynine Palms, CA. He did good! Also, a shout out and thanks goes to Steve in the Service Department of Liberty Motorsports in Yuma, AZ. We appreciated them getting the bike in before closing. Thanks guys!

Deryle and Wanda Mehrten

Ditto on the TPM. We had the dreaded tire pressure warning pop up in Arkansas on our GS a few years ago but the TPM readout was showing a very slow leak. This allowed us to go from a roadside fix in the 95 degree sun into a shady restful fix in a much safer location.
Kickin.JPG

Flash forward two years, K1300S this time but the same dreaded tire pressure warning. The only thing is we're in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday morning. The pressure is dropping fast and there is no really good place to stop. In a matter of only a few hundred feet, 37, 34, 31.......
187.jpg

When we topped the next hill, there, in the literal middle of nowhere, on a Sunday morning at 10:30am, was Lone Star Motorcycle Museum. Not only were they open but they let us use their shop and compressor. If not for TPM we would likely have been another mile or two past them before I knew we had problems.
Lone Star.jpg

So TPM has saved us twice. Technology is a good thing and sure beats sitting on the side of the road any day.
Glad your and our trips turned out as they did. :dance

Sunday Morning both tires were still holding air. Great! We took Hwy 85 south to Why and Hwy 86 to Tucson, then back roads to Sierra Vista getting home about 2 pm. We left with brand new tires, and got home with brand new tires. That’s the fastest we’ve ever worn out a set of tires. Bummer - it added $480 to the cost of the trip.

Deryle and Wanda Mehrten

I am curious. Would anyone have considered just getting the tires properly patched rather than replaced?

Technology is a good thing and sure beats sitting on the side of the road any day.

I became a TPM believer in 2007 when Randy's TPM warning went off as we were passing the Border Patrol Station north of Big Bend. Instead of fixing the flat a couple miles down the road in the blazing sun, we were able to turn around and plug the tire in the shade of the Border Patrol canopy.

Picture 023.jpg

You and Susan rolled in shortly after.

Picture 026.jpg

That's the day I learned the accessory outlet on a K1200S would not handle a Cycle Pump and Randy had to plug into Debbie's non canbus K1200RS.

Picture 025.jpg

I became a TPM believer in 2007 when Randy's TPM warning went off as we were passing the Border Patrol Station north of Big Bend.....
I believe that was one or two years after, at the same Border Patrol station, Randy rolled up and was asked if he was an American citizen. For those of you wearing full face helmets with a tinted visor let this be a warning, the correct answer is NOT si amigo. :dance

p.s. To the OP, our tire in Texas had less than 100 miles on it. :banghead

I believe that was one or two years after, at the same Border Patrol station, Randy rolled up and was asked if he was an American citizen. For those of you wearing full face helmets with a tinted visor let this be a warning, the correct answer is NOT si amigo. :dance

Do not be behind your friends from Great Britain either...or the lawyer who only replies he is an American citizen regardless the series of questions presented:banghead

More Info

To answer the question, "Why not do a patch?"

The shop in California said it was illegal to patch a motorcycle tire in CA.

Also, there were several broken cords on the front showing.

Better to be safe than sorry.

In Yuma I was asked if I wanted the rear patched.

Again there was a cord or two showing. It was a really big nail with serrations down the sides, some kind of construction nail the shop said.

I ride with my best friend and wife on the back, not taking any chances.

Better to be safe than sorry.

The front tire had 772 miles on it; the rear had 1,101 miles on it.

In both cases the TPM warning gave us the time to pick a place to work on the tire.

Our '02 K1200RS doesn't have a TPM system. Thinking about getting one.

Also, I called our shop and asked about tire and wheel protection.

60 months for both tire/wheel and towing with a $3,500 limit for $519. Bike specific.

Also, I called our shop and asked about tire and wheel protection.

60 months for both tire/wheel and towing with a $3,500 limit for $519. Bike specific.

The MOA also has a tire hazard plan. You can compare the fine print and see which is better for you.

Platinum Roadside Assistance & Tire Hazard
One year $109, Two YEars $198

It is the best of both worlds - MOA membership and our best selling Roadside Assistance plan, which now includes tire replacement coverage. One call to a toll free call center dispatches a motorcycle certified carrier to your location 24/7 in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

The plan covers the first 100 miles of your tow bill, up to $250. Platinum Roadside coverage also offers free battery service, flat tire service and fluid service as well as trip interruption service. For the first time ever, BMW MOA members are covered for two tire replacements per year for roadside hazards and damage. All for $109 per year including your MOA membership fee. (Terms and conditions apply)

I am curious. Would anyone have considered just getting the tires properly patched rather than replaced?

I also have my best friend/wife on the pillion behind me. For a few hundred bucks, I would never take the chance and have a motorcycle tire repaired. Also, as mentioned earlier, I don't know if it's illegal in Oregon, but my local shop in Bend won't patch a motorcycle tire.

I'm tossing this out as a travel tip and not a sales pitch, but it is good to know. If you have a flat on a Sunday as we did and you need a tire due to the nature of the cut (Ours was a flint rock tear. We got back to the hotel carefully after a patch but a tire was needed.) then here's the tip. Cycle Gear stores are open on Sundays. Some even have tire changers. We were riding again by mid afternoon!

BMWMOA deal is awesum!

The BMWMOA deal is awesum!
THANK GOD I haven't needed it!

The BMW deal is for real. After having new tires put on at Street Cycles, I took a short ride, 12 miles, from my house to Port Clyde, Maine for a lunch run at the Port Clyde General store. When I got on my bike, the front end felt very heavy. Oh oh, I had a flat tire. There are no motorcycle shops in Port Clyde, Maine. Fortunately, my daughter-in-law's family owns the Monhegan Boat Line next to the store. I got a temporary repair there to get me home, called the 800 number for the tire service and got an authorization number for repair. Then called Duane Snow At Street's late Friday afternoon. He found the only tire he had that matched my rear tire and replaced my brand new flat first thing Saturday morning at no expense to me. That was great!

TPM MOA Tire Protection

Used the MOA tire warranty twice in the first 4 weeks of my RS's life. Was taking a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway and got the dreaded dashboard warning- my front tire pressure had dropped into the warning range.
Stopped and inspected the tire and found a nail in the center left of the front tread. Leak was slow, so I got off the parkway, pumped up the tire at a local gas station and limped home watching the tire pressure slowly drop. Fortunately I live close by, so not a huge issue.
Removed the front wheel and went off to my local dealer where the tire was replaced- nobody in the area would
patch it- and submitted my claim to MOA. The dealer assisted with the minimal paperwork required, and I don't think I paid anything.
Flash forward 1 week and I get the same warning, this time back tire. Took the wheel off and back to the dealer I went. I was prepared to pay full price this time as i thought that the warranty people might be a little skeptical of 2 flats and 2 new tires in such a short time. I was pleasantly surprised when the second claim was approved with no cost to me.
The MOA membership with the additional tire warranty more than paid for itself, and I wouldn't ride without it again. The dealer's quick service (Morton's, Fredericksburg, VA) and their assistance with filing the claim was outstanding, making the process straightforward and relatively simple.
I was so happy that I had saved the money that I immediately spent my "savings" on new farkles- go figure...

Last edited:
Back