• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A more complete metric feeler gauge set?

Does anyone know where to source a (more) complete metric feeler gauge set to do valve clearance inspections? The 1200 wethead manual lists a clearance range of .10mm to .17mm for the intake valves and .34mm to .41mm for the exhaust valves. I have found sets with .127mm, .152mm, .178mm, and a few thinner blades that combine to equal the already included gauges/blades. To check the exhaust valve clearance the blades included, in standard sets, are .356, .381, and .406mm.

My search of online retailers has produced only duplicates of standard feeler gauge sets with minimal feeler gauges within our prescibed spec.

Gord Henderson
kelowna, British Columbia

Last edited:
These are the sets I build just for use on the WetHead/ShiftHead 1200/1250 bikes.
It's a set from Amazon and a set from Hornig. The Amazon set is about $9 and the Hornig set is about $19...not that inexpensive, but I don't use the rest and only have to deal with these blades with oily hands during the 12k Valve Clearance Checks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B3TQQSV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
https://bmwmotorcycleaccessories.com/metric-feeler-gauge-set/

i-JdpcxFd-L.jpg

These are the sets I build just for use on the WetHead/ShiftHead 1200/1250 bikes.
It's a set from Amazon and a set from Hornig. The Amazon set is about $9 and the Hornig set is about $19...not that inexpensive, but I don't use the rest and only have to deal with these blades with oily hands during the 12k Valve Clearance Checks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B3TQQSV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
https://bmwmotorcycleaccessories.com/metric-feeler-gauge-set/

i-JdpcxFd-L.jpg

Thanks Brad! Exactly what I was hoping for.

Cheers!

I was going to point out that by the time you get to three places past the decimal point in mm you are seriously splitting hairs, very thin ones! The manual might call for .17 mm and .178 mm is 3 tenths of one thousandth difference. Most people would never know the difference and I doubt your BMW engine will either. Also if the .16 mm feeler slips in where the max is .17 mm I would be shimming it!

When I checked the valves on my RT I used a imperial or "inches" feeler gauge and converted the thickness for one near the top, and one near the bottom of the range and ran with it. I believe I used a .004" and a .006"

I can verify that when used properly, those feeler gauges are the correct ones for the Wetheads. I watched Brad use them on my '15RT in Early May, in his garage.

My bike is at 50K+ and has never run so smoothly, and the difference in throttle response on the ride home was far better than expected.

Thanks again Brad, and please say hello and thank you to your lovely bride for me.

I can verify that when used properly, those feeler gauges are the correct ones for the Wetheads. I watched Brad use them on my '15RT in Early May, in his garage.

My bike is at 50K+ and has never run so smoothly, and the difference in throttle response on the ride home was far better than expected.

Thanks again Brad, and please say hello and thank you to your lovely bride for me.

Thanks for the +1 on Brad's recommendation, Steve. I have Brad's DIY tools and the BMW cam timing jig. At 111,000 km (almost 70,000 miles) the valve clearances on my 2018 RT are still within spec and haven't needed adjusting. My right side cams were ever so slighty unaligned. That was easily remedied.

The first two valve inspections were performed at our local dealership for.......well, we all know what they charge. Valve inspection #3 and #4 were done by the same tech who is now retired and works out of his garage (a handy guy to know). I'm happy to be able to do it myself now.

Cheers!

Back