• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

99R1100RT + Hippohands + Barkbusters

If you search the “Tag Cloud” for Hippo-hands you will see a half dozen posts about them. Most mention the use of BarkBusters or at least the factory air deflectors to make the HH’s work well.
On my F800GS, the pair of HH style hand protectors, happened to rest on the starter button. Fitting is required to function well as is the learning process of hand movements as necessary once the hands are inside the opening.
I never got them to work out well on the bike but found them great on the ATV.
OM

Tag Cloud-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?75890-Do-you-ever-use-the-quot-Tag-Cloud-quot

Interesting perspective all.

But I’m specifically curious if the Barkbusters will work. It’ll cost me $30 to try out, so I’m going to go for it.

Else I could return the whole lot and buy/install heated grips and gloves for the RT.

But my other “adventure bike” 97F650 has the heated grips and the Hippohands fit great (they use the hand protectors). Now that’s a toasty experience with no need for heated gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Barkbusters with Hippo Hands combo on my Rally Raid CB500X for winter riding, along with heated grips. I didn't find there was any learning curve. The bike's controls are still in the same location on the handlebars. (I have a throttle lock installed, too.) :)

The Hippos won't win any beauty awards, and are a bit bulky, but are easy to install and remove. I don't even turn on the heated grips unless it's really cold.

I've read that you need some sort of lever guard to stop the Hippo Hands from pressing against your brake and/or clutch lever. I don't know if that's an urban legend.

YMMV.

Wife gave me Hippohands (Alcan) a while ago. They don’t work on R1100RT because they droop and have nothing to hold themselves up. The folks at Hippohands recommended Barkbusters (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...-for-hollow-bar-ends?rrec=true&sku_id=1655642). The bike has throttlemeister-type throttle lock.

Think the Hippohands, Barkbusters and throttlemeister will all get along?

Not an urban legend. This is the issue exactly. Without some sort of support, the bulk of the product droops on the levers making everything in there cramped and hard to move.

I've read several times that the Barkbusters don't work with the Throttlemeister due to the way the right-side 'Buster mounts (into the handlebar end), and that a Kaoko throttle lock should be used instead.

Another alternative "might" be the Memphis Shades handguards (for Harleys), but you'd have to fab your own mounting brackets to attach them to your mirror mounts.

Last edited:
I've read several times that the Barkbusters don't work with the Throttlemeister due to the way the right-side 'Buster mounts (into the handlebar end), and that a Keiko (sp?) throttle lock should be used instead.

Another alternative "might" be the Memphis Shades handguards (for Harleys), but you'd have to fab your own mounting brackets to attach them to your mirror mounts.

I have an Atlas throttle lock under the Hippo Hands, no issues... yet ;)

Back