• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'991100RT Ain't the same!!!

aldok

bikedok
Wonderful bike!! 11,000 miles (I know, I work too much) Recently saw a brake line leak. Replaced lines with new SpieglerSS. In the process I moved the gas tank back for better access to the connections for the brakes. I reassembled everything, replaced the Tupperware and started it up. Runs terribly, stumbles, pops, no power and barely accelerates . I figure I disturbed something, either electrical or to do with fuel management. It was running super smooth before. Suggestions for someone too cheap to take it to a dealer???

Having faced similar situations in the past, both with machines I own and those I work on professionally, I tend to "do the job again." I'd remove everything and then inspect all parts, connections, etc. that you did or could have disturbed. Wires, connections, vacuum lines, etc. That's a good place to start.

There's a high probability that you dislodged the throttle cable where the cable comes out of the sheath at the bell crank next to the throttle body (look where you make the adjustment during a sync). Check the right side first!

"moved the gas tank back"... So the first thing to check is the connection at the right/bottom/rear, make sure everything is fully seated. Disconnect it all the way, inspect the pins on both sides, reassemble.

There's a high probability that you dislodged the throttle cable where the cable comes out of the sheath at the bell crank next to the throttle body (look where you make the adjustment during a sync). Check the right side first!

This...

When I did it the first time I thought I did some serious damage and was in for an expensive trip to the dealer, but with a little help from the forum, I now know to check the cables everytime I dislodge the tank.

This...

When I did it the first time I thought I did some serious damage and was in for an expensive trip to the dealer, but with a little help from the forum, I now know to check the cables everytime I dislodge the tank.
+1 This evening on the way home I was on my 1150 with the right half of the fairing back at home (verifying a fuel line seep had been fixed). Out of curiosity, I started to gently pull up on the right cable to see whether it would smooth out a slightly rougher than normal idle (it's due for another sync session). As I pulled, the cable end suddenly released and popped up out of the ferrule -- only just a hair above -- and the engine immediately (and in a rough manner) died.

An unseated cable (usually the right side) can make you think the bike is about to come apart.

Back