• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'98 K12RS stuck in 5th gear

rileous

My 98 K12Rs has 55,575 miles. I was 8 miles from home when I tried to down shift and found the trans was stuck in 5th gear. Only had I intersection so I got home ok. Shut bike and checked shifter, it seemed to have excessive play but as I had never checked it b4, who van say? Still stuck in 5th. Can anybody give me best and worst case cost guesses? I had just programed calendar with the rides I wanted to attend for the next 2 months....must be karma right? TIA, John (Rileous)

My 98 K12Rs has 55,575 miles. I was 8 miles from home when I tried to down shift and found the trans was stuck in 5th gear. Only had I intersection so I got home ok. Shut bike and checked shifter, it seemed to have excessive play but as I had never checked it b4, who van say? Still stuck in 5th. Can anybody give me best and worst case cost guesses? I had just programed calendar with the rides I wanted to attend for the next 2 months....must be karma right? TIA, John (Rileous)

I'm sorry to hear you have a problem. Not sure the best case scenario. The most expensive is $20,000 or so for a K1600.

No "expensive" noises? No hope of rocking the rear wheel and seriously torquing the shifter to see what happens? Just one minute you're OK and the next nothing happens? Any time I've broken something, there's been a hint or two of things to come and/or That Expensive Noise when things went south. And none of that happened?

Obviously your worst case is replacing the tranny if it can't be rebuilt. And all of that will be an act of love, not financial sensibility. :)

You have almost certainly broken the selector mechanism. In Service School it was recommended that we ALWAYS replace this part with the updated one when the transmission is open for a repair. 23 31 7 675 374 is the updated part. It's nearly $300, but it's only about nine hours of labor to replace it.

You have almost certainly broken the selector mechanism. In Service School it was recommended that we ALWAYS replace this part with the updated one when the transmission is open for a repair. 23 31 7 675 374 is the updated part. It's nearly $300, but it's only about nine hours of labor to replace it.

Good info, and it's a good idea to replace the seals and oring that tend to leak on the K1200RS.

I have this exact same problem on my 1998 K1200RS with 53,000 miles. Anybody know any tricks to make it shift again? I got a used transmission from ebay, it'll be here next week. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on how to swap out the transmission? Or a good online repair manual (my PDF repair manual is missing chapters for some reason).

I swapped out the transmissions on airheads many times so I know the basic idea, but I really need a walk through to make sure I get all this right. I do daily commute and touring on this bike.

Thanks!

I use a CD version of the BMW service manual that I bought on E-bay for a few bucks. I think someone was burning copies off of a real one and selling them cheap.

In truth for jobs like this the manual is gets used mostly for torque values. What needs to come off is kinda obvious: nearly friggin everything. It'll make you wonder why you quit riding airheads.
None of it is rocket science, and these older K12s don't have the e-brakes, so they may not be as bad. It's still a lot of stuff to remove, and (hopefully) reattach properly. Takes lots of pictures before you remove the parts, especially of where the wires and tubes go so you can route them properly.

Depending on your bike's history, you may want to think about replacing the rear main seal(s) while you're into it this deep.

Back