• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

‘95 k75 swing arm and drive shaft compatibility?

72r60/7

I have a ‘95 k75 with splines worn on the driveshaft and pinion gear. Will have it repaired but since the engine is suffering from receding valve issues, I don’t wanna spend a lot on that bike.

Ran into a ‘85 K100 with low mileage, not stored properly, that may be gotten for a song and a dance.
Hummm.

Wonder if the swing arm and drive shaft from the ’85 will fit right on the K75.

Anybody have any experience along those lines ?

Charlie

A quick check of RealOEM shows the rear swingarm for a '95 K75 is part number 33171450492. RealOEM says that part number was also used on K100 from 1981 to 1991. Same with driveshaft, part number 26111454063. It might be more complicated than that, but seems doable. :dunno

Thanks for editing the title. I tried to edit the title, but couldn’t as it seemed I could only edit content.

Thanks again

Charlie

Charlie,

Pre-2/86 K100s used 16 splines on the final drive end of the driveshaft. All K75s and post-2/86 K100s used 20 splines on the final drive end (up until the K100s went to a two piece driveshaft when they introduced the paralever rear suspension.

You can not use a '85 K100 driveshaft with a K75 final drive.

The K100 uses a taller final drive gear, as it has more torque. Could be a problem with a heavily loaded K75.

The '85 K100 driveshaft and matching final drive will fit, but pulling away from stops could be an issue and acceleration would not be as good.

PM sent.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks, Lee...I thought it was more complicated!! Strange that the part numbers are the same. I know that BMW would reuse a part number even if something changed over time. For Airheads, the bolts that connect the driveshaft to the back of the transmission is the same part number even though the bolt got shorter in the later years.

Now that I look closer, RealOEM does have "Up to" and "From" dates, so paying attention to that certainly shows changes to the part.

01 26 11 1 454 063 DRIVE SHAFT - Z 20 (from 02/86) $422.26

01 26 11 1 241 630 DRIVE SHAFT - Z 16 (to 02/86) $459.09

The Z denotes the number of splines on the final drive end.

:dance:dance:dance

Back